Welcome to AirHostsForum.com!

We are a community of AirBnb hosts. This forum is dedicated to connecting hosts with other hosts. Sign up to get the latest updates and news just for AirBnb hosts!

Type of guest to avoid?

My pet peeve! Hosts come here and complain about guests and then say they are not going to leave a review. :rage: How then are we to cull the guests who don’t belong on airbnb from the system? I like to imagine there is a karmic payback: for every guest you skip the review, you get another just as bad. This continues until you start leaving appropriate reviews. LOL.

It is hard to leave a bad review! You don’t want to total trash someone yet you want to warn future hosts. When I have had someone like that, I’ve said something like “We did our best to please her but I don’t think she was a good fit for us.”

People get emotionally caught up in the review process. They want to talk about their feelings instead of the guest’s behavior. So they just skip it. After 3 decades as a teacher I know what it’s like to give a failing grade, usually to a student I liked. It’s like disciplining one’s children. Does one skip disciplining their child because it’s hard or because they are afraid the child will retaliate or not like them? Yes, and with predictable results.

I recently had a very nice young man who missed check out time by nearly an hour. I mentioned it in his review at the same time I gave him a thumbs up and said I would host him again. “xx was an hour late checking out. If this is important to his next host they should be sure to remind him of their check out time in advance.”

K is right. Try to keep the emotion out of it. Over the summer I hosted a,couple who,were downright clueless. Clueless was their biggest sin. I just had to say something.

In their public review I said something along the lines of,

There were some issues with their stay which may have to do with being inexperienced users, but after I discussed it with them, I’m sure they will be good guests in the future once they pick up on the do’s and dont’s.

And in the private feed I told them the truth about everything. The worst things being how careless they were with the bbq, wasting electricity and yakking in their cell phones or devices on speaker outside at 6am.

It was such a stressful stay that I ended up reaching out to a few people here, one of whom wrote the above for me. You know who you are!!! :rofl::heart_eyes:

I agree with the original question, “Based on my limited experience so far, I find older guests (50+) tend to have sky high expectations and require a lot of baby sitting on everything (direction, parking, check in etc). Although everyone had an enjoyable experience, it seems they tend to leave lower star rating (4 instead of 5). My theory is they are used to hotels and aren’t as self reliant (ie, using google to find answers).” I have had several older couples stay in my tiny house with a sleeping loft that is only accessible by ladder. I had one guest leave early because getting up and down the ladder was hurting their knees – my photos and description clearly state that you have to use a ladder. Another older couple from Germany wanted to borrow my vacuum cleaner and proceeded to vacuum the whole place again even though I had just finished cleaning. Whoa! Both of those couples gave me a less than stellar review.
On the flip side, the younger 20-somethings, seem to never be able to find the towels in the bathroom vanity drawer or the toilet paper that is in the glass cabinet. I feel like I might need to label every drawer and cabinet from now on. :slight_smile:

It’s so true. As business people we notice patterns in customer behavior, and it helps us anticipate and be better hosts. So, ignore the mind games about political correctness and talk openly about your experiences.

That said? Yes. 99 percent of the time Asian guest = flooded bathrooms, so when they book it’s time to get the extra towels ready!

Actually they can! Even tells you the current Iphone stock at Apple stores -