Type of guest to avoid?

Haha true, Joan!:slight_smile: But I find it a bit unlikely that heā€™s writing me from a vehicle each and every time.

@Inna - I donā€™t think anyone will tell you this guy wonā€™t be a PITA- we donā€™t know him and have only your side of the story. But you seem to have made up your mind already that he will be a problem, because you refute any other perspective than your own.

1. I said English might not be his first language. You said he is writing in his native tongue (not English). How do you know what his native tongue is? For instance, many people in the U.S. are not native English speakers. And many engineers are horrible writers! (Iā€™m married to one, so I know).

2. You said he wouldnā€™t have a split payment system because he does not seem familiar with AirBnB. But you donā€™t need to be familiar with AirBnB to have them offer you the opportunity to split your payments into two parts - especially for stays in the future.

3. You donā€™t accept that he may be travelling while he types messages. Maybe the the guy is really, really busy.

You clearly are not comfortable with this person. Why not just cancel and stop worrying?

2 Likes

My IT geek should have been a medic/GP, except his knees go weak at the sight of blood.

I think that you might be taking my initial post and rhetorical ā€œquestionā€ at the end of it a bit too seriously.:wink: And yes, of course there are ways to know what someoneā€™s native language is. Sorry, I simply donā€™t know how to respond to any other far fetched assumptions proposed. Can I please just have my rant about the guest with whom communication is a pain?* I expect at least my fellow hosts would understand the frustration with a guest who is providing the information on their trip ā€œwith an eye dropperā€, as we say in my native language.

*Btw this is a rhetorical question too.

2 Likes

I like that, and it translates well.

Go ahead, rant away!
Btw, how can you tell what someoneā€™s native language is? Other than asking them, of course.

If youā€™re well acquainted with a country where the person is coming from, you can even pinpoint a region based on someoneā€™s name and/or surname.:wink: At least in many European countries you can. I guess in a more diverse country thatā€™s simply impossible.

Delicious lobster! Best way to kill them is to put them in the freezer til they go in a pain free coma then cook them. Either that or a skewer through the eye to the brain - so much kinder than dropping them live into hot water. I have often wondered about oysters too, and whether they feel being cut from the shell or slipping down the thraot alive?

And pigsā€¦ so smart and intelligent. I should stop eating pork!

:nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face:

(twenty characters needed)

Iā€™ve noticed that some guests believe the rating system should be compared to what they would consider a five star experience. In other words, their rating is relative to the 5/star experience they donā€™t expect to ever experience in life. Some other guests rate 1-star thinking itā€™s a high rating. :roll_eyes: So chalk it up to a withholding type of personality. The kind of person that only ever says, about anything and everything, no matter how fabulous: ā€œIt was alright. Nothing to write home about. Standard. To be expected. Just okay in my book.ā€

I find yuppies too have high expectations and seem to always give a # 4 on location or value even though they say in their reviews that they had a wonderful time and would come back again.

1 Like

This made me laugh. Our place is in a ski area but we do not get many young kids because it is not ski in/ski out- maybe this saves us from damages, I really had not considered that even though I have 3 kids and know what they can do.

after 8 years of hosting in London here is my breakdown
koreans - similar to europeans - eats bread drink milk mostly tidy and respectful - tend to come shopping in town arrive with big empty suitcase - expect loads of shoe boxes bags to left in room
chinese - mixed bag - shopping tourists mostly - expect alot of shopping bags left - eat noodles for breakfast - expect 2 showers a day - treat bathroom like a spa - takes about 4 hours in the morning and evening bathroom in use - some not like that - very fussy about cleanlinest expect to become a house maid to keep reviews good
europeans - long breakfasts so stock up -
Scadiā€™s again will use breakfast as main meal of the day -
Americans - mixed bag most great - as they are usually the most experienced airbnbā€™ers
Australians - new to the marketplace - mostly grateful to have somewhere safe and relaxed - like to hang about and talk - treat staying as part of the holiday experinece - you become like a interactive musuem exhibit
over 50ā€™s - expect you to clean up after them - dont want to rent a whole place - too expensive and noone to take care of them - dont expect 5 stars as they compare your home to all the other places they have stayed including expensive hotel rooms and service- takes hours to leave in the morning and come home in the afternoon to watch tv all night or rest till going out for a quick bit to eat -
Canadians - lovely respectful rarely high maintainence -
Latin Americans - mixed bag - if young great if older fussy and expect 3-4 star reviews

2 Likes

its this smart pricing concept air dreamt up - its been a bun fight ever since 2016 nightmare totally agree - switched it off refuse to use it -

airbnb has grown into a massive global industry - what used to be a step up from couchsurfer for students has filled the gap between the student travel industry to the highend home stay market - it took advantage of the grey area - hosts open thier homes for so many reasons - but at the end of the day its thier homes and they can choose who they want to stay - my experience of older people who are experienced travellers for decades exploit young home owners as a cheap option - its not like they have anything in common - so if a 27 year old wants to say no to a 60 year old back packer generation couple they should be able to do so without fear of being accused of being discriminatory - its just a fact - who wants to live with thier parents after they finally got out from thier own family homes -

link please to bd guest lounge

here here - totally just posted similar - why do they want to stay with us anywayā€¦other than to take advantage of our inexperience -

Personally @Antonia_Clare_Grant I donā€™t feel the need to stereo type my guests based on where they come from or their age :slight_smile:

If you would prefer to discriminate - then there are lots of other platforms out there that you can use.

2 Likes

Oh, absolutely ā€¦ what could they possibly have in common? Besides an open mind, an interest in people, a love of art, history, books, music, travel? No, people should only associate with others of their own age, class, race, gender - letā€™s all just mix with our own kind!

I am so sorry that your life experiences have led you to such a sad view of humankind.

7 Likes