Towel for guest

The bath mat gets washed every time with the rest of the towels. It’s kind of like a thick towel.
We used to have even thicker ones but they took forever to dry. If you didn’t provide one then I’d definitely be using one of the provided towels as one, meaning I’d need that second set of towels for sure! Ha ha!!

Something like this. perhaps. But it would be an extra thing to wash. And I’d have to check if there was actually space for it in the bathroom. And curiously, there seems to be some dispute as to whether it actually absorbs water or not.

@faheem in the first link you sent this one appear to be closest to what we call a washcloth: https://www.amazon.in/HomeStrap-Classic-Piece-Cotton-Towel/dp/B016A7VMUS/ref=sr_1_25_sspa?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1518575839&sr=1-25-spons&keywords=face+cloths&psc=1

You know “when in Rome”…if I were visiting and bathmats were not customary I would just deal with it. I’m actually a very easy traveler. That bathmat link looks like it would take hours to dry.

Interesting. It’s described as a face towel.

I think they are ultimately the same thing. Wash cloth here, Face cloth there. Here is the type of bathmat we use (although not this specific one)

1 Like

Yes, in our weather, things can take a while to dry. But a bath mat isn’t a bad idea. I’ll add it to my long list of things to think about. And unlike many of those items, a bath mat would be cheap. Though it would have to be washed after every guest, for fear of infection. So lots of extra washing.

I think that a bath mat is more about safety than absorbing water. If you have tile floors that will get wet during showering, a bath mat can make it so people don’t slip. I certainly use one in my own bathroom, and also have one for my guests. In New England where it is cold all winter long, the bath mat also means you are not getting out of the shower and putting your warm feet onto cold tiles. I suspect that is not an issue in your climate.

1 Like

@faheem

Had to take a dinner break. I’m sure everything is clear on the bathroom towels issue by now so I’ll be checking out Netflix and YouTube for my entertainment as the evening winds down. Tootle-loo, y’all. … :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

1 Like

Indeed, yes. Thank you for your help and @Arlene_Larsson’s help, with this - it’s been most educational.

1 Like

The box can never be missed out…LOL…so visible!

Some guests need a lot of towels. I had a couple few
Months ago who used 16 towels within 2 days stay. . They used pool after wiping themselves after each use threw towels in laundry. When I told them that it’s crazy to go through so many towels a day they were sincerely surprised .

He just wanted another towel.

1 Like

I refer to some of my favorite people as “characters” as a term of affection. Being normal is overrated!

Definitely a flannel in British English, an old fashioned way of washing “body parts”. It’s now fashionable to use one as a “hot cleansing, exfoliating make up removal technique”, which helpfully saves on wet wipes down the loo… Faheem, a face/hand towel is larger. I’m in danger of getting my tape measure out but as it’s only 7 am, and the Brexiteers are rampaging on the BBC, perhaps later. Just one last thought as I watch himself come out of the shower; larger men need bath sheets to wrap around themselves effectively.

1 Like

Hi @smtucker,

I thought that bathroom floor tiles are supposed to have a relatively rough surface, because of the slipping issue. I checked the guest bathroom floor tiles just now (which I didn’t put it myself) and the surface certainly seem rough enough. They also have patterns. I’m not sure if they could become slippery with water, though - I didn’t experiment.

It certainly doesn’t get really cold here, but putting ones feet on those tiles does feel a little bit cold. It’s possible some would not like it. In any case, I think a bath mat is a reasonable idea, at least as an experiment. I have observed that in my own bathroom, when I step out of the shower, I tend to put on flip-flops immediately, because I don’t feel comfortable standing on tile (not sure why), but flip-flops obviously wouldn’t work for everyone.

(I use the term flip-flops, because I think that’s a generally recognized Western term. But in India they call them chappals. They are a cheap and nasty approach to footwear, but around here at least, nearly ubiquitous. Boots, for, example, seem almost unheard of. I’ve stood on the platform of railway stations here, and scanned the feet of fellow travellers. No boots.)

I wouldn’t refer to people I didn’t know as a “character”, personally. Not if I wanted to be polite.

Memories of the Middle East and the souks…

But I really think Terry was perhaps thinking of your persona on the forum, and as an affectionate compliment.

All my Air towels (except any that happen to be somewhere in the wash/dry/fold process) are in the closet in the suite, and guests can have at them. Very few guests are flagrant towel users. (I think the record was 8 towels of various sizes by 1 person in 2 days, but that was a rare event.) I dunno, I think a pile of fluffy white towels looks welcoming.

1 Like

Re: Character: Could also be a difference if it is said as opposed to a written word. Intent is hard to read when written. And, as you noted, there is a difference in remarking on someone you know well and a relative stranger. Perhaps, cultural differences shade the meaning and intent as well.
For example - I wasn’t referring to Faheem in my comment but rather I was thinking of my favorite 94 year old friend whom I adore AND consider a “quite a character.” I have told him that to his face with a huge smile and he was “tickled pink”. Sigh - probably another descriptive phrase that I shouldn’t use anymore. Best I hang up my keyboard for the day!

Back to the towel talk - I put out a bath towel, hand towel, and wash cloth per person. In the walk through I point out a stash of additional towels and let them know they can use those if needed as well. Rarely are they used but people seem to appreciate that they are there. (The quality goes down the further in the pile you go and no one has ever gotten down that low.) Most of our guests are 1 - 3 nights. Longest guest has been here 5 days and he only used the bath and washcloth. As a guest, I like two towels since I have long hair and would only expect fresh towels once a week for a longer term stay.

1 Like

These sorts of comments are at least partly about perceived intentions. Is it meant in a friendly way? If said by a random stranger, probably not. And could be perceived as patronizing or similar. Though of course there are far worse things people could call you, so not really worth making a thing about.

If people think I’m making a fuss about nothing, they’re probably right, but I was a social outcast as a child. That was a long time ago, but I suppose some wounds linger.