Towel for guest

Childhood wounds do indeed linger and go deep. Words are powerful.

I have enjoyed reading your comments on the forum.

Childhood wounds (and those we receive as adults too) either linger or are more often suppressed as a way of coping when we’re young. It can take the smallest of triggers to reopen them, and perhaps this person calling you “a character” has done this? I don’t think you are making a fuss about nothing, whatsoever; rather, this seems to have hurt you but you are not sure whether you should feel hurt.

Terry is right about it being hard to understand the intent of the written word, particularly with all the different cultural nuances that may be at play.

For what it’s worth, in UK English, calling someone “a character” is a term of affection, tinged with awe perhaps; definitely with respect about their ability to engage us. Now if someone wrote that I was “peculiar”, then I would be taken aback; if someone called me “quite a character”, I would be chuffed to bits.

I very much enjoy the way you engage with everyone on the forum. You regularly bring a smile to my face, and thank you for that!

7 Likes

Hi @Terryathome and @Joan,

Thank you for your kind words. And excuse the mention of my childhood trauma. I was just trying to explain why I didn’t like being called a “character”.

Ah, Faheem, please don’t feel you need to be excused for mentioning your childhood trauma. It’s a comfort to those who experienced painful childhoods to know they are not alone.
I always appreciate your posts here. Just between us, you’re one of my top favourite members of our forum family :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I second astralita12’s comments - faheem, I’d miss you if you did not participate!

3 Likes