Tiny house on our property

I was wondering how well a tiny home would rent on our property. We are up against the Superstition Mountains and I was considering putting a tiny house (under the laws of casita) next to my home. It is legal for me to rent it here. But my 25-year old daughter tells me it’s a bad idea and no one would rent anything on my property.
I have attached our view and the tiny home I’m considering. It would not have any windows facing our home. Only out the front and back.

Just not sure if it will payoff in the end. Any comments or recommendations?

4 Likes

Why would no.one rent anything on your property? It looks beautiful. If you have good Wifi, digital nomads would love it, and so would lots of other guests. I know she’s your daughter, so no offense, but how does a 25 year old know what would rent on Airbnb? Just because she and her friends wouldn’t want to stay there?

15 Likes

I’m so glad you said that. I told her that too. Ha! We have a separate Airbnb in the neighborhood and it rents wonderfully with three bedrooms. My adult son has autism and can make some noise, but I don’t think you’d hear it in a tiny home.

3 Likes

What does she know about STRs in your area? Has she researched other STRs in the area? Do your research and figure it out for yourself. Look at other listings within 10 miles of yours. Are they booked? Can your tiny house offer the same or similar amenities?

Can you afford to build the tiny house even if it doesn’t rent STR?

Do the math and research.

5 Likes

Go for it! Desert rentals are very popular and so are Tiny homes! Paying off in the end depends on the quality you can add as far as special design, nice comforts and classy amenities, which will equal higher rental prices.

7 Likes

A good way to gauge its marketability is to research your area (online as a potential guest) looking for an accommodation very similar. You may feel more comfortable moving forward knowing there is a level of demand out there, and by networking with other (experienced!) hosts who have dealt with the pros and cons of these specific properties.

4 Likes

Ah, that’s difficult. Check out that he can’t be heard in the area where you’re putting the tiny home because people will want an outside patio or deck to relax in nicer weather.

I have nephews who are autistic and have worked with special needs people. Some are quiet and some can be a challenge. As long as you disclose this in the listing, it should be OK. If he screams a lot, then having a vacation rental within earshot may not be a good idea.

Bless you.

7 Likes

Yes, I agree. He does laugh and clap loudly. I will check it out.

1 Like

Looks like you’re a little south of Lost Dutchman State Park. The top image doesn’t look like the same area. Is that just a sample of the type of tiny house you want to offer?

I think people would rent it, and it could be booked solid October-March catering to hikers and bikers (both bicycles and motorcycles). Whether it would be profitable depends on a lot of other things.

4 Likes

I would expect plenty of people to want to book a tiny house in that beautiful location. I didn’t think anyone would want to stay in my location (a neighborhood several miles from most attractions), but have been surprised that I’m consistently full. It didn’t matter, because I built the apartment for our personal guests; AirBNB is just a bonus. Could there be other uses for a tiny house if it doesn’t prove a successful STR? Perhaps long-term rentals or for your own guests to not have to stay in your space?

2 Likes

Do your research. Check your competition. Like others have suggested have a plan B if things don’t go as planned.

Long term rental? Something like Furnished Finders? Sell the tiny house? Rent it to your daughter? Make it portable/movable?

Similar but different: I’m pondering putting a camper on 35 acre wooded tract Dad owns that is overpopulated with deer & turkeys. I would set it up so I can tow it out when not rented and either use for my own travel or to safely store it.
There isn’t anything comparable in the area so I must have a plan B.

2 Likes

I think it would get booked just for the view! Probably best suited for young couples that plan to spend all day hiking and wish to wake up to that amazing view. I say " go for it."

Check Airbnb listings to see if there are casitas in your area and check to see how much other hosts are getting. Read their reviews to get more insights as to what should be offered.

1 Like

I think your daughter is incorrect. And if you can guarantee a rainbow over the mountains at all times you’ll be booked solid. LOL.

9 Likes

My faraway adult kids hate that I have a listing on Airbnb. They worry about my safety. They worry I’m working too hard. If I had consulted them back when I started, they would have tried talking me out of it, too, using any argument they thought might work.
Do you think it might be that, @LisaCharlie?

6 Likes

25 year-olds know everything. They don’t even need to research, they are just omniscient :slight_smile:

7 Likes

vintage campers> Spartans are the best, or Airstreams are very popular!

6 Likes

GO FOR IT! That is a fantasic location. I’ve been in that vicinity many times. Your daughter doesn’t know what she’s talking about. She probably just wants you to give her the tiny home.

4 Likes

Thank you all for the confidence. We have wanted a casita anyway so in future our son with autism can live there when more independent. So I think we are going to give it a go. I’ll check for sound issues from my son and double check on local laws etc.

Yes, it is just south of lost Dutchman state park and you can jump the fence to go hiking. But we won’t be able to guarantee a rainbow!

Thanks again everyone.

7 Likes

I was going to suggest that a tiny house might be a good place for your son if he becomes more independent. If it wasn’t for that, I would have suggested an Airstream so that you could move it or sell it if it became a turkey.

1 Like

I like it! I stayed in an RV right in someone’s front yard, but none of the windows faced the home. I had a gorgeous view and really enjoyed it. The family dog visited with me regularly so if you have any pets, be sure to disclose this if they wander.

4 Likes