Tiny house on our property

Squirrel moment: RVs can be very comfy. Dear friend went to visit family 12 hour drive away. Family rented a self contained RV for her & parked it in their driveway. She was thrilled with it.

By the time the HOA had a meltdown, she was home & RV returned to Rental Company.

5 Likes

It sounds like a great option for you. My son and his wife live in downtown Atlanta. There is a house a couple of blocks from them that has 2 tiny homes in the back. The proximity to East Lake golf club and local shops and restaurants make it very desirable.

4 Likes

Interesting.
Every family has their ā€œwaysā€ā€”mine certainly does. A friendā€™s children had similar concerns.

My opinion: they didnā€™t want to adjust to reserving momā€™s beach condo in advance else it may be unavailable.

Btw she now reserves a couple weeks in the summer & a couple weeks in the off season for family use. Everyone adjusted.

2 Likes

My dad thought crazed lunatics would rent my suite. Yeah, crazed lunatics are going to register on Airbnb and pay $$ to come kill and dismember a complete stranger.

8 Likes

If someone had told me in 2000 that by 2020 Iā€™d be a retired teacher and strangers would be paying me to stay in my guest room and to also board their dogs in my home, all facilitated by computer programs used on devices that would fit in my pocket, Iā€™d have thought they were tripping. Literally. On acid.

14 Likes

Absolutely. And it makes me want to slap them. :rofl:

I think the idea of a tiny house is a great one and the area looks gorgeous. Iā€™d love to know why the daughter thinks no one would want to rent it.

Rather than researching other STR accommodation nearby, Iā€™d suggest that working on an excellent marketing plan would be a better use of time.

5 Likes

In 1926, Nichola Tesla predicted self driving cars, remote controlled robots (drones, cars) and smartphones. He was labeled ā€œeccentricā€. I canā€™t imagine having his creative foresight. Iā€™ll bet more than 1 25 yr old rained on his ideas.

@LisaCharlie As @jaquo encouraged: build on your vision. As @Kkc pointed out, 20 years ago, most of us couldnā€™t envision earning a living or having a gig job doing rentals as we do now

3 Likes

I had a useless garage thing in my backyard which I converted to a studio cottage.
I am beside a railway line. Thereā€™s a comment on my listing about the noise. A recent guest review said they didnā€™t hear the trains. Yay.

Quite a few people were negative about it. You really donā€™t know until you open for business.
My mother said that Iā€™d shown up everyone who said it wouldnā€™t work. Weā€™ve been booked solid for 6 months. We are a half hour drive from the touristy part of the Blue Mountains of Sydney and thereā€™s a lot visitors can enjoy locally too.
I think itā€™s about the styling and the love and care you put into creating the space. Best of luck !! X

9 Likes

I love your place! Thanks for sharing! How many square ft is it? Does it have a kitchen or kitchenette too?

1 Like

Your daughter sounds like a ā€œknow it allā€ ā€“

1 Like

I was one at 25. Iā€™ll bet @Sparky_O_Reilly you were too. We thought we were ā€œso adultā€. Now at 61 I realize how foolish I really was and sometimes still am.

2 Likes

At least obnoxious know it all youth have the excuse of youth. Nothing more annoying to me than older people who think they know it all and donā€™t have any excuse. The older I get (63 now), the more insufferable Iā€™m finding a lot of ā€œolderā€ people. I never long to be around old people but I sure miss young people, no doubt a function of having been a high school teacher.)

7 Likes

The older I get the more I understand how little I really know. And I agree, people who think they know everything as adults have even more to learn than I.

2 Likes

Mom was a high school teacher then occupational guidance counselor. Dad taught high school industrial arts.

Mom loved her students. Her reputation was ā€œshe was tough & meanā€. She started the school year as a royal terror then softened up. She never had any serious student relations problems.

The only difficult thing for her about retirement was she missed her students.

Since itā€™s Motherā€™s Day I thought Iā€™d share.

6 Likes

Sound like a perfect plan!!

1 Like

Thanks Lisa!

I tried to answer from my email.
Has little kitchen and bathroom.,

Not sure of the square footage. About the size of a garage. 4m x 7 m maybe ?

1 Like

Thanks Lisa!

My daughter helped me with the styling.

Yes, it has a kitchenette and small bathroom.
Thereā€™s nowhere really for an easy chair, they have to do that outside or go out and enjoy the day !

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure, We rented in Arizona this winter in Tucson with a one room separate apartment for $70/ night. It was small but had refrigerator, toaster, Kuerig, sink, microwave. Your unit has a great view. I would Airbnb that unit in a Harare beat.

Make sure it is 100% clean. A baby in white clothes needs to be able to crawl across the floor and still be perfectly white. Cleanliness is the number one factor. Good luck and let us know how it works. Regards, Curt

3 Likes

This is exactly the kind of place I would want to rent. It looks unique, secluded and exotic (to me anyway!)

4 Likes

I think it would be fabulous and you will book up quickly!

2 Likes