This is a risky game. Your Airbnb account can be closed any time without warning

A few weeks ago, Airbnb decided to close my account. Immediately and without warning. I contacted Airbnb and was told a guest had claimed a surveillance cam was present in the apartment, which of course is not true. The box he had seen, was an alarm box, not a recording device. I explained the Airbnb case manager the accusations were false, but the Airbnb case manager decided my account had to remain suspendd. I was guilty until proven innocent.

After sending thorough documentation from the security company, Airbnb finally decided to review the case again. One week after I had sent them proof nobody had been recorded, they decided to re-open my account.

Due to this false accusation, my account was closed for nearly two weeks. During that time, I lost more than 15 bookings, I was not able to communicate with future guests (leading to a bad communication score) and I lost my superhost status. I’ve suffered a big financial loss and punishment for something I’ve not done. But no compensation whatsoever. Airbnb didn’t even care to give back my Superhost status.

To rely on Airbnb is a big risk.

In this case I was able to prove myself right. But what would have happened if I was not able to prove the accusations were false? Not everything can be proved. Then Airbnb would have just suspended my account forever based on false accusations.

So please be aware Airbnb can close your account forever without warning and based on false accusations.

1 Like

Really unfair. Guilty until proven innocent!

1 Like

Not to defend them but I think the reason why they act irrational in some situation is because of legal issues. You know you can always open new account farely easy. I did it because of glitches several times. The only thing is you loose your reviews. But is better than not being in business at all.
Hosts put to much emphasis on Airbnb . It’s a just a booking platform and they do more than any other booking platform existing. I become disappointed with them from now and then because some of their policies are just stupid and making no sense.
But then I think : it’s the best business I even had and the easiest way to make money . They screw up but then I find ways to go around it.

3 Likes

Unfair – Yes. Dangerous – NO.

2 Likes

All of the regular members here knew that. It’s their platform and they make the rules. There are many things that can happen that make Airbnb risky. I’m sure you will build your business back up and soon this will be a distant memory.

There are times when the Airbnb site goes down too. I have started making note of all the guests phone number that is on the reservation so that I have another way to communicate with them if I lose access to the site. If cell numbers aren’t a good solution for you then ask for the guest to send you their direct email address after they reserve.

2 Likes

I don’t defend them at all, and it is dangerous to those whose livlihood is reliant upon rentals.
They scream for oversight…eventually what happened with fb will happen with abb and they will be making changes. Additionally, govt does not like abb…for a variety of reasons.
This will change eventually, in my opinion, one way or the other.

@Yana I’m so sick and tired of Airbnb’s “final decisions”, they are sometimes so extremely unfair and in this case I could have lost my whole business and been suspended forever if I hadn’t been able to prove myself right.

By the way, how can you open a new account? I think it’s only allowed to have one.

1 Like

@KKC Thanks for your good advice. I’ll keep that in mind

@KenH It’s dangerous and risky because I have 3 apartments for rent. This is what I live from. If Airbnb suddenly suspends my account for no reason and cancels my bookings I will still have bills to pay but no income.

2 Likes

There was a world before Airbnb! Just find regular tenants.

4 Likes

I had 2 Short Term Rentals BEFORE Airbnb existed, and renting became my livli-hood without govt interference. I collected and submitted all taxes voluntarily from day 1.
ABB’s growth has caused regulations in every town and city, including mine, that could potentially make it hard to feed and clothe myself. While a Long Term Regular tenant would afford me to maintain an investment that appreciates, it would not allow me to earn the money needed to continue to be a contributing citizen of my town, state, and country.
@Maggieroni I am sorry to point at you, but this was an unnecessary snarky and insensitive remark to anyone who relies upon rental income. Compassion would be nice.
My husband is on Social Security and I am aging out of viable workplace skills. We lost everything in the downturn of the Recession, and have been rebuilding for old age since then. I keep an eye out for new possible money earning ops should my rental right disappear. I would increase my travel business. I might have to take in dogs with boarding, or drive an Lyft. Or go back to store demos. Lots of folks today have to zig and zag to keep up or get ahead. It wont be the same money as renting. We should all be supportive of having the rug pulled out from under. This could happen to anyone and it is very unfair.
The thought of getting shut down keeps me awake at night trying to figure out a next move.
So being controlled by new regulations, and by the Airbnb master is a valid discussion of concerns.

5 Likes

It was not meant to be snarky at all, just realistic. The op has three properties for rent which should be able to create a positive cash flow without Airbnb. How did you advertise your str pre Airbnb?
Airbnb is just not a reliable source anymore in so many major cities. Too many bad players jumped in and sadly this is the result.

1 Like

Three properties will not give a nice cash flow even remotely near what an STR can do. No comparison at all.
I listed with a local Property Mgr who handled beach properties, and I listed with VRBO, - they were seriously in play a decade before ABB.

Still not dangerous. You will not be crippled or killed if they close you down. Risky on your part, that’s for sure.

Miguel Cervantes said in Don Quixote: " It is the part of a wise man to keep himself today for tomorrow, and not to venture all his eggs in one basket."

3 Likes

And this is exactly why so many players jumped into markets that were never meant to be full of strs. Many of these were and are large commercial operators just being greedy. Sadly the smaller mom and pop operators have gotten caught in the cross hairs. It’s also a problem for keeping enough affordable housing on the market. I personally know of listings in nyc that are blatantly illegal and were normal rentals before Airbnb. One has at least 3-4 units taken off the ltr market for Airbnb. This is in a mult family building of about 12 units which means a third of the affordable units are no longer available. People need a place to live as well as a way to earn extra money.
I didn’t say it was as profitable just that it should return a pos cash flow. I’m if course in favor of sensible regulation so that there’s opportunity but I can see why this has gotten out of control and why so many municipalities are cracking down hard all over the world.

2 Likes

My two LTRs provide a nice cash flow. When I crunched the figures I wouldn’t have made much more from STRs then I would from LTR once I factored in all my STR costs.

However as you mention it’s not a matter of Airbnb or LTR.

@Joa can use any of the other STR companies (in fact I hope s/he is doing this already) or promote his/her listing directly. It’s not Airbnb or nowt :slight_smile:

Yes they can ause financial hardships and for totally unfair and untrue reasons.not inly can they suspend your account permanently, but also cancel ALL of the seasonal bookings that you had in place ( after turning numerous other potentials away…(SORRY…BOOKED! ) Ugh…typical of companies that get so big they turn into dictators!!! Very distressing…like stealing money right out of your pocket!

Hope they take this company right down!!!

it just happened to me . Im trying to appeal it. Any tips on successfully reopening. New account?

You already have a topic running concerning your issues with Airbnb, there’s no need to open up old topics with similar questions.

JF

1 Like