Shutdown by safety dept no idea why

Check if future bookings have been cancelled and also try using social media, Twitter, Facebook etc. The social media team seem to respond quicker than usual CS dept. Do a search on here, it’s been covered several times before.

As previous poster said, get yourself listed on Booking, Homeaway/VRBO etc. Having seen this before I am so glad we are spread across other platforms.

JF

1 Like

How can I list on multiple places without the calendar crashing into each other?

They have not cancelled future res

Synch the calendars.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/99/how-do-i-sync-my-airbnb-calendar-with-another-calendar

JF

1 Like

You need to sign up with an outfit that manages your calendar syncing between platforms. I use Lodgify, which also hosts my website.

Mark, they haven’t shut down your business. It’s only one of many forms of advertising that you can no longer use, that’s all. (Possibly for a short while, possibly forever, who knows).

I know it’s annoying but look at it another way - if you had a daughter who was staying in Airbnb rentals, wouldn’t you be glad that there was a safety department to ensure that everything was okay? Certainly, they’ve probably done this without there being any grounds but it’s truly better to be safe than sorry.

We all agreed to these things when we signed up so just advertise elsewhere.

1 Like

As others have said, it happens. The most memorable case for me was this one:

What really struck me was his conclusion after all that was the last post about trying to run a rental business without Airbnb:

We struggled so much. They represent 7 bookings for everyone we get else where. We even joke. If a Airbnb client wants to punch a hole in the wall. Give them a hammer.

I don’t advocate letting guests walk over you in that way but its a vivid description of how at least one host feels about the value of listing on other platforms. Airbnb is the market leader for more STR’s and they make life so much easier for most of us.

It’s a horrible situation to be in but not a surprising one. There are many threats to Airbnb, that’s one reason why some banks don’t count Airbnb income (@Josiah and I were just discussing this) and insurance companies don’t make it easy.

This is a risky game. Your Airbnb account can be closed any time without warning

1 Like

Only if you do IB Joan, if you don’t do IB then the iCal synch works fine and is free. When you get a booking, you just manually synch the calendars. Ok, a bit time consuming, but if you’re not getting bookings every day its an OK solution.

JF

@Mark_Mark said his Airbnb account was disabled. How can you find out about reservations if your account is disabled, do they still send you cancellation e-mails even though you can’t log in. Or does “disabled” actually mean “de-listed” or something else?

I guess I used the wrong words. Its un-listed. I am still getting the existing res coming and they are paying.

I just rent three rooms in my house. It looks like the other online places are renting the whole house, not just rooms. Are there any online that do just the rooms?

Yes, I’ve always had IB on from the start but interesting to know this. Mr J did all the techie setting up for me, so I confess ignorance.

I’m not seeking bookings everyday, and really don’t want to. If I had more, I’d be hitting the 40% tax cop, with my other earnings taken into account.

The wedding flowers take up a lot of my time at the moment as well. I lost Sweet Peas in a ghastly gale last Saturday, with guests stuck out on a ferry in the Channel for five hours!

Not the best summer anymore; it’s chucking it down right now!

Do a search on Google for rooms to rent in your area @Mark_Mark. Then you can see which international national and local platforms are available. Look at how your local tourist board promotes accommodation and advertise there (if you haven’t done so already set up a FB page or website.)

As it’s a shared space you must have some idea about what the guest complained about?

I agree post on Airbnb social media

1 Like

This is definitely a problem with the other platforms. No one is even close to competing with Airbnb in this space. Having your own website and pounding the pavement and doing your own advertising might get you some business but it’s foolish to think that can replicate the results you get from Airbnb.

2 Likes

Perhaps it’s something simple like a missing smoke detector. How are they investigating if they have not made arrangements for a walk through or even questioned you about the matter. Call and demand to speak to a supervisor.

No they wouldn’t close a listing for that. . Could be issues to do with CCTV, harassment, dangerous animals etc

I agree as your Airbnb business is so important to you, you should be contacting them several times a day.

1 Like

@Mark_Mark Not sure what is in your area but if there are universities, they usually have somewhere to list rooms for rent as well. It is a good time of year for that - students and visiting professors and such looking for something for the semester.

I am in the process of listing on booking.com and then VRBO.com. I am close to the University so will make sure to see if there is a listing there too.

I just got an email from the safety department, FIFTEEN days after the unlisted me. The said sorry the person that was handling this was on vacation. They asked me to send them a statement that I have read the security section of the rules. So I did.

I am guessing this is because there is a burglar alarm motion sensor that flashes red every time there is motion. One time a couple years ago safety called about that and they said it was ok.

I just now yanked the motion sensor off the wall, assuming this is the problem.

Hoping to get the other online webs going today and then I dont have to worry about someone going on vacation!

1 Like

It happened to me too…but i knew exactly what was going on. I knew who complained on me.
Because same night I complained on her . Airbnb said that this is their policy. As soon as they get complain they must temporarily disable your account .
Sometimes they forget about you.
You can do 2 things: open another account
And advertise with other sources. There is an option to link calendars with other platforms.
My biggest success is Craigslist. I think that I have more safety with guests from there than with Air. I have a chamce to see a person, I never give an answer to a guest without checking his records first. It takes me few minutes but at least I know there is no evictions or criminal records.
I had twice to say no to people who had evictions.
With Airbnb I had quite a few nutcases. and drugies actually using on my property.
Airbnb or no Airbnb its always good idea to not rely in one source of income.
With Craigslist you also can find longer term guests like one week or more .

Goid news. Lesson learnt for you to chase daily or more when siomething is so important for your livelihood @Mark_Mark

1 Like

The Safety Dept shut me down after 5 yrs of Super Hosting and referred me to a rule about cameras that has nothing to do with my account. I had previously talked to an Airbnb case manager that assured me my doorbell and entryway cameras were allowed and my listing clearly stated who and why people were being videod as they came onto my property. (Austin has a super strict short term renter policy on number of guests allowed) I responded to the Safety Dept with details and photos. They responded with their right to to delete me. All attempts to contact the dept have been ignored. I still dont know why thy did this. Five years of glowing 5 star reviews are gone.
What did you do?
Does anyone at Airbnb care about their Superhosts who work hard to make Airbnb work? Anything I can do? Im handicapped now and I depend on Airbnb income to survive. I didnt do anything wrong. Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Karen Armstrong
Austin Texas

1 Like