The serial one star giver stayed and I got my review

I have always wondered if the guest actually notices that they suddenly can no longer instant book……
Or do they notice that now for every listing, they must now send a ‘request’.

I also wonder if this guest, if they aren’t removed from the platform, suddenly gets multiple declines from very wary hosts.

3 Likes

I’ve posted many times about a guest who had a 4 star average and multiple problematic written reviews. Obviously many hosts either don’t read reviews or like Patti just decide it doesn’t matter enough to cancel. She IB’d with me when she had 16 reviews and I canceled her as fast as I could. She went on to have over 40 reviews and at least half mentioned her odd behavior.

2 Likes

Good questions. Some of that depends if the host uses the slider under IB for “recommended by other hosts”.
It would be nice but will never happen, that Air cancels her account. She certainly deserves it!

I’d report the profile and explain why. I don’t want her. Hope you clicked the “would not host again” button!

Agreed. I don’t want her here.

Brilliant. I’d do this.

Ditto. Then again, sarcasm is my primary language. :wink:

Holy $##$$ that’s amazing!!!

2 Likes

I can’t stop thinking about it! I’m so glad for @patti. Where was this CS when my first guest gave me a 3 for location (& other stuff, overall a 4) stating I was 30 min from COTA but yet he specifically messaged me this before booking and then said he was cool with it? He brought 4 MORE people than he booked, vomited off the front porch and left for me to clean, brought home a strange woman (made out in the driveway) & left my front door standing open when he left. There was other stuff, too.

After checking out he messaged that he loved the house and asked if he’d left anything behind. I said “Yes, your vomit.” It was all downhill from there.

I left him a very honest review and CS told me they’d remove his if he retaliated. They did not. I don’t think I’ll ever get over that :poop:

3 Likes

Yay, @patti! So glad to see Air actually came through for a host. As an old friend of mine used to say, “Even a blind squirrel gets a nut!” We, the hosts are definitely the blind squirrels, anticipating that maybe, just MAYBE Air will take a stand. Hooray for the underdog!

3 Likes

I would never have hosted such a guest.

Walking on eggshells and fearing a deceitful, disingenuous review is not for me.

Kudos on getting the review removed

Wow.

This actually has the opposite effect of enabling her behavior

Any host that doesn’t roll out the red carpet will undoubtedly get 1 star

1 Like

Oh i bet she does, i’m guessing she gets some jollies revisiting her negative reviews.

3 Likes

Outstanding- she dissed the wrong host this time🎖

@KenH

Yes. As a potential guest who didn’t know this miserable woman’s history, the host’s response makes it crystal-clear that she’s a loon- not that her ridiculous review isn’t enough. It also gives me a very positive view of the host herself. And, as a host, I just wouldn’t be able to let the *$#&?! have the last word…

1 Like

A bit more info here on what happened with the star rating… I noticed my star rating was still affected after her review was taken down. I rang Airbnb and was told that they could not change it, it was out of their control. I said not acceptable, of course you can, the rating is part of the irrelevant review! So it was “escalated” and lo and behold within a few hours my star rating was back to 5!! So maybe there is something changing at Airbnb or have I just been super lucky.

12 Likes

The first person you talked to didn’t know what was going on and so gave you bad information, they didn’t even have access to all of the information.

When it got escalated, it got to someone at a higher pay grade that could deal with it. Or the first person didn’t know that it took a while for your rating to change so couldn’t tell you that. And the second person probably didn’t do anything extra either but the rating coincidentally updated a few hours later.

A couple of years ago I had a review removed, but that’s the least exciting part of the story. It was a pretty extreme situation and I was very impressed with how it was handled. Airbnb took exceptional care of me, I was working with 3 different depts including Trust and Safety, Discrimination, Legal and then 2 different high-level supervisors one of whom seemed to have the job of just making sure that I was okay. At some point she was on the line so to speak, intercepting and dealing with the messages that these guests were sending me and then also intercepted their review from ever being posted when they wrote it. (She did send me a copy so that I could see it, it was long and bizarre).

But, even though their review was never posted online, the star value (presumably a 1) did affect my 5-star rating for a couple of days. I was told, by this very competent woman, that part of it is automatic in the system for the star rating and that it has to be sort of manually updated or something so I should expect it to take a couple of days to go back to my real rating. I think that’s what happened with yours too, but no one bothered to tell you what the deal was (or didn’t know).

2 Likes

Yes I think you could be right, the first level person seemed to be reading a script so it could be she didn’t know it was going to take a few days. Better she would have said I don’t know.
Always good to hear that there are happy endings to some of our frustrating situations!

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, if you click would not host again, can a guest ever find your listing again?

If you mean by clicking would not host that particular guest again can that specific guest find your listing - then yes. Your listing is visible but they can’t book using IB. The only way to make sure you never get that miserable guest back is to block the guest on the platform.

1 Like

How do we see the stars on a review a guest left for another host? I cannot figure it out. I just see the written review.

RR

2 Likes

Patty…I am curious…Can you reach out to past hosts to see if she received any type of refund or compensation in the past? Maybe she received refunds from other hosts and your before hand knowledge of her behavior/reviews saved you from being a victim. I am so glad you updated us about the outcome of this reservation that you had bad vibes about.

I’ve never been able to figure that out either. Or if it’s even possible. All I see is the average star rating a host was given in each category by all the guests in total.

1 Like

Many ABNB guests that have received bad reviews open new accounts and start over.