Texting vs Messaging via Airbnb

Another complaint the guest had besides asking for 5*s is we use their phone # and text them to communicate in place of using airbnb’s messaging which goes to email .
Airbnb provides us with their phone number so why not use it ??

So , do y’all use their phone number and text them , or use airbnb to message them for communication and why not use their phone # ?

I use the Airbnb platform, unless I’ve messaged a guest several times and gotten no reply. Then it’s possible they don’t have notifications turned on from Airbnb. In that case, I text them, telling them how to turn on notifications to see what I’ve already messaged to them.

If I ever had to get Airbnb involved in a situation with a guest, it would be much easier if all communication were on the Airbnb platform.

6 Likes

It depends on the reason you are communicating. It’s a good idea to try to keep as much as possible on the Airbnb messaging, so there is a record of the exchange. Many hosts have had issues because guests were problematic, or tried to extort them in exchange for a good review, but because it was all said by phone, the host had no proof.

I do ask my guests to call or text me when they arrive in town because I pick most of them up at the bus station. I have no problem with it for things which wouldn’t ever be contentious or which I might need to document.

But if your guests find you calling them to be invasive, why are you doing it?

4 Likes

It’s immediate and spontaneous and I do NOT call them , I text them .
They’ll often have questions that need attention right then and there , like , can’t open the front door . I forgot the address . Where can we get a red rock pass .
If I sense a problem , I will diffidently lead them to airbnb messaging .
I am their life line to their successful stay , I want them to know I am available when they need something . I let them know I am here for them , where ever they are

2 Likes

I try to keep communication on the Airbnb platform. Texting is second. Phone call 3rd.

Yesterday I texted a guest to ask if he had seen the checkout instructions sent on Airbnb so he called me! It all depends on what the guest wants/needs.

2 Likes

You would be wise to use Airbnb messaging for everything if you can. This could save your butt in some situations. I would prioritize: Airbnb messaging, then text, then phone call.

3 Likes

Agree with many. We always first use air msg. But, some guests miss it or don’t get a notification, and we give a polite nudge with a text for them to please see the Air msg.

2 Likes

Presume you’re referring to the guest - the reason you wouldn’t use their phone is that you have a record of all communications on Airbnb’s platform in case of disputes @kidd

1 Like

No you’re not their lifeline .

All the information relating to their stay at your listing should be in guidebook or your listing .

1. Forgot the address reply on Airbnb it’s on your booking confirmation
1 Like

Guests are going to do this. You’re their host and probably the only person they know in town so (to me anyway) answering their queries and solving their problems is just part of the job.

I communicate with guests however they prefer. If they prefer texts, I text, if they prefer Airbnb messaging I use that…

3 Likes

Airbnb prefers all messaging to be done through the platform. If you have a dispute you cannot submit texts from your cellphone as evidence. I only use their cellphone number if it’s an emergency and they haven’t responded to my message on the platform.

3 Likes

I too am ok in whatever way I am contacted. However, airbnb procedural stuff immediately goes to the air messages.

1 Like

On the day of check in I message the guest through AirBnb and text the check in instructions. If they respond via text then that is usually where we communicate.

The idea that a guest marked you down for texting is odd, it would not stop me from texting though.

rr

Why not? Who knows. It doesn’t really matter. Now you know it bugs some people, so hopefully you can accommodate them.

I try to stick to Airbnb for the record. My confirming message asks the guest to be sure and check the thread before arrival for any last minute information. However, some people can only see part of a message on the Airbnb thread if they pull it up on their phone. I usually only text the day of the check-in for light questions that are not apt to require a record for a dispute. If a text turns sour, I repeat the exchange on the Airbnb message thread so it is someplace official. So far this hybrid approach works.

2 Likes

How many disputes have you actually had?

None here.

RR

1 Like

None! However, I used to teach risk management so I’m probably a little paranoid, lol.

5 Likes

Christine , good approach .
I have no disputes , too. Smooth sailing , so far.
Only one has complained about the texting and as Christine has suggested , I’d move it to airbnb messaging for recording .
I find the young guest will find fault , mature guest are more relaxed and positive thinking and do not let things bother them

1 Like

I find the opposite.

So I guess there is no way to know what type of guest to expect.

RR

3 Likes