Texting vs Messaging via Airbnb

I switch to text the day before arrival. I think 99% of my guests prefer it. I have had one dispute (blackmail/ refund) out of 220 guest stays and CS at air accepted screen shot of text conversation. I much prefer text, and don’t mind calls either if they prefer that. I don’t use apps or my phone that much, bookings and information sent via Air message are all on my pc.

2 Likes

Maybe it depends on the CS Rep - two seasons ago I had the guest from “the bad place”. (Well not as bad as other hosts have had-I’m just spoiled because I haven’t had any “bust up the party & evict” guests).

She refused to use the Airbnb platform so Airbnb accepted screen grabs of her texts. Could be they accepted the screen grabs because when Airbnb CS contacted her to try to assist, she had an abusive rant.

4 Likes

Because if you run into trouble, Air doesn’t believe in your screen shots of your text messages. ALL communication should be done on the platform, period. That way there is a record of all interaction in case of a dispute.

1 Like

I try but it rarely happens. The important part is communication of needed information.

Platform offers some level of protection but I wonder how much it is really worth. There is a repeated host theme on this forum of have your own insurance & do not depend on Airbnb paying anything.

3 Likes

For your safety it is best to ONLY communicate via the platform. I have nudged people not responding with a text, but I never say anything of substance unless it is on Airbnb! And if there is ever a complaint or snarky remark from a guest I screenshot it and remind guests that all communication should happen on Airbnb.

4 Likes

First time guests, use Airbnb messaging mostly. To protect us until we get a sense of the guest and since we are on-site, it’s pretty quick.

Repeat guests, text.

You do you.

We all have different styles of hosting and I am not going to be that rigid regarding communication on the off chance I have a bad guest. If I suspected a problem I would migrate over to the message system.

I have never had to ask air to get money from a guest for anything so it is not top of mind.

RR

3 Likes

Basic information = email (simple typical questions like voltage, example packing lists, etc).

Information that may be contentious or important for review by AirBnB staff = AirBnB messages (reminders of check-out time, no smoking, agreement to refunds, etc.).

Text if I have not received needed information back in a reasonably-timely fashion (“did you receive the AirBnB message/email or is it in your spam folder?”)

Just last night we had a one night reservation, who had asked and been given ok for later arrival via text. When I texted to confirm timing, he said he was still 6.5 hours away, had suffered an accident been in er for mri etc etc. We then both went to air message, he asked me to cancel, but I told him I would wait up for his arrival and eventually he cancelled. Have not heard from Air other than I was given all funds and him none. This dude had 17 great reviews.

Now I can review him???

2 Likes

I use Airbnb before arrival and text while here as they are more likely to need a quick turnaround. I also get a text from Air if they message me but often not enough to decide I want to read the rest of it.

1 Like

One time as a guest, my data had all been used up, we had been travelling for hours, it was dark and we were having difficulty finding the property. I had noted a ph number in case of emergency and that is exactly what I used. I think you have to judge the situation and do what you think is best, but I understand all the comments about having a record of communication.

1 Like