Something new that never knew

Yana, I’ll extend my sympathies to you. I’m sorry that you are going through this. I wish you luck in collecting.

1 Like

And now I saw something else: there is a disclosure that Airbnb is only liable for the money they actually received from guests. If money are not received they are not obligated to pay a host even if guest stayed

Thank you!
Ggggggggggg

Unfortunately, I understand this from their point of view. This could turn into a huge scam otherwise. I book my friend’s house, I don’t pay, but my friend gets money money from AirBnB.

It’s not fair to those of us that play by all the rules, but they have to protect themselves from scams.

2 Likes

I never expect them to do anything right when problems arise. That way, I can be surprised when they do!

1 Like

I had a guest with a payment problem earlier this year that I posted about. They booked two weeks prior to their arrival. Airbnb said their payment was declined and it was my job to cancel. Three CS agents said the payment was accepted, but I didn’t get my payout released until the day after checkout.

I think you’ll eventually be paid, but there are hosts who have reported that they were never paid for completed bookings.

2 Likes

I kind of said goodby to 200$. My question is why that person from Airbnb made me accept them for 3 more days . Guests even didn’t mind leaving . They came back to collect their things . I imagine how happy they were that I accepted them without even them paying.

So many red flags, not least that after the guests’ payment to AirBNB bouncing or being declined twice (once for original booking and then again for the extension) the guest then tried to stiff the OP on a weekly direct payment $50 short of an amount they agreed to. 3 red flags, each one bigger than the previous one.

To me that is just so obvious that the guest knew full well they did not have the money to afford to stay at the property and were taking advantage of the hosts’ naiivety and/or greed. Host should have cut their losses after the original unpaid extension ended and booted the guests out even if it meant the property would remain unlet. I see far too many posts here where hosts seem terrified of having a property be empty they put themselves in silly positions purely to try and get a few quid/dollars in the bank - which often ends up turning around to bite them back.

1 Like

Because AirBnB wants happy guests - especially when the host is the one paying to make the guest happy and not AirBnB. That’s why they refund so much of OUR money when something small goes wrong. That’s why they have the EC policy.

4 Likes

Thank you for calling me greedy, silly and naive.
I am far from being terrified that my house will stay empty. I don’t go by day .I run a solid business here and my numbers show that I am pretty good at what I do.
You got it wrong…the first 2 days apparently their card was good for . As I said they even wanted to show me how charge for 2 days was withdrawn from their account . The very next day they extended for 3 days more and this is when their card was decline .
And you right it was a very big flag for me …that’s why I kicked them out . I have 7 rooms all together between 2 houses and for last 5 years I learned warning signs very well . I don’t hesitate to kick any guest out if they even start thinking of playing games or messy or disturb other guests or even don’t fit into household. I create environment where my guests stay with me for months and even years.
In this case I was convinced that all is good since case managers do have an authority to authorise certain things like letting people stay until their card is cleared and at same time pay host if it never clears.
Well. That’s was first and last time for sure. Next the when case manager will try to talk me into hosting guests who didn’t pay i know the answer

5 Likes

I don’t understand your hypothetical scenario at all. If a booking can’t be collected on, the booking should never be confirmed, period.

2 Likes

In a real business that owns the risk, that’s true.
But AirBnB wants to keep guests happy, so they “hold” the booking because they “trust” the guest to get everything worked out. Of course, they don’t lose anything if the guest doesn’t come through - the host carries all the risk. We hosts need to protect ourselves and call AirBnB and insist they cancel the guest’s hold if the payment hasn’t come through in time. No pay = no stay.

7 Likes

It is actually a reservation that is over. Whether you decide to waive the cleaning fee, etc…it is not an extended reservation at all. The reps. are brainwashed like many of the people you hear screaming on forums that they refuse to allow their guests to book direct. And they refuse to speak to them on the phone. They also must text them when in the same house, etc. ABB has put fear into them.

The right hand doesn’t know what the left hand is doing. They haven’t even paid you yet, and some rep. is telling you that you can’t make new reservations with guests who originally booked on ABB.

1 Like

@Yana I would never in a million years mention anything to an Airbnb rep about booking direct with guests or accepting cash from them for anything. There’s been several times I’ve refunded a guest in cash or accepted cash from them for an extra day or two they wanted to extend. It wasn’t to try to screw Airbnb, but just to simplify things with a good guest.
Airbnb doesn’t own the relationship between a host and guest after their official booking has come to an end. It’s none of their bloody business.

2 Likes

AirBnB benefits here because they still kept your 3% and the 13% from the guest…

I did not tell them…it was guests who did. But even so…as you said its none of their business what we do after reservation is over .

1 Like

Lesson 1: You should have followed your initial inclination and asked the guests to leave.

Lesson 2: When milk smells bad, get rid of it, … don’t put it back in the refrigerator.

Lesson 3: The milk is now curdled, dump it down the drain! …you still haven’t been paid (which AirBNB is still working with the hosts to get the $) yet you extend them independently; that’s asking for trouble from both the guests and from AirBNB. There are sometimes where no matter the money, it’s just not worth the risk.

I’m sure if you continue to escalate, that you should be able to get payment for the agreed to 5 days; you have the documentation from AirBNB stating they would pay you. That should be enough but they will make you go through hoops to gain it.

I had done similar to gain payment for a cancelled guest. I had documentation and justification for it; it took several levels of approval (approximately 2 weeks).

“Chunky Style Milk! - that’s not right”

2 Likes

As cabinhost said i was not extending reservation made with Airbnb . It was a completely new booking and agreement was between me and guests …which I handled very well…as soon as they started making tricks they were out . May need you that at that time I was sure that Airbnb will.pay me and will handle issue with credit card. When I travel I have non stop issues with credit cards .so after talking to Air I thought may be it’s just one of those glitches and all will be clarified .

That’s unfortunate. I’m very careful to only do any cash exchange with guests who I know would never mention it to Airbnb.

1 Like

I realize that you did an independent booking, extending an existing guest’s stay outside of AirBNB, while there technically is nothing wrong with that*, I was suggesting that you were asking for additional grief because AirBNB may not look as favorably on you for that - that could provide some bias for AirBNB escalation managers. You have resilience and I think AirBNB assumes people will just rollover; I am confident you will prevail because you have the documentation that they agreed to pay you no matter.

*the former AirBNB guests that I have booked independently with are those that had a proven track record and that I felt were honest and trustworthy and wouldn’t throw me under the bus the way these guests did you. There were clear warning signs that your guests were not trustworthy and I still believe that you would have been better served to kick them out after 2 days, as you originally set out to do. We all have different life circumstances but my perspective is that the grief from them, and AirBNB is not worth it, even if you get the money for the entire stay.