Something new that never knew

3 weeks ago I had a booking for 2 days. All went fine until next day I didn’t receive payment as ussual. Same day guests extended for another 3 days. In day 2 I called Air and asked what the problem is with payout.
I was told that guests have issues with their bank.
I asked if I will be paid anyway since I am not who handles payments and also guests even extended for next 3 days. The answer was uncertain and I informed Air that I am not letting guests stay past these 2 days as I am not quaranteed that I will ever be paid .
A woman on a phone told me to wait . I said No…I am not waiting anylonger since you don’t give me concrete answer if I am paid for these days. And guests already Stayed 2 days basically for free.
This is how we ended conversation . We went to the house , informed guests that they have to leave and changed code in a door. At first guests said , that’s fine , we will come and pick up our things . But then later another call from Airbnb: this time they reassured me that we will be paid for these 5 days. I even received an email saying that in the event they fail in collecting money from guests. I would still be paid . On these conditions would I allow guests finish their 5 days reservation? Since I was reassured this time I agreed to keep hosting them .
All went well for 5 days and then last day guests asked for another extension for a week . They said we can pay you cash as we still have problems with our bank ( no funds that is).
I said ok , gave them weekly price and they agreed. Then because of obvious lack of money these guests started to play games . They brought not the whole weekly amount but 50$ short . I told them that it will cover 5 days and then in 5th day it will be additional money .
They agreed but when 5th day came and I asked them if they want to stay or leave they started making up stories and told me I agreed for these money to let them stay whole week .
I didn’t even argued. I told them I will be at the house in half hour so they better get their things and leave.
In a mean time it’s been 10 days and I am still not being paid for first 5 days.
I called Air without any success, then I write on Twitter and I was told that my case was escalated and they are looking into this .
What do you mean" they are looking into this"?
I hosted these people because I was reassured that I would be paid anyway. Why don’t you pay me and then keep looking into this ? Same polite answer that as soon as possible this case will be resolved. Now it’s been 3 weeks . Still no payout.
But that’s not the end of the story .
The guests who obviously were angry at me that I didn’t let their little games work for them called Airbnb and told them about our " cash deal" after their original booking .
So I was sent an email saying how Airbnb doesn’t condone offsite bookings.
And if this happens again they will deactivate my account .
I thought these guests told Air that they paid me cash for first 5 days…and I thought at first that may be that’s the reason why I am not being paid …but that was not the case. Air actually told me that I was in a wrong of extending directly with guests even after original reservation was over .
I thought I am not understanding something . I couldn’t actually believe of what I was hearing . So I asked again and again I received the same answer about my account being deleted if I make direct arrangent with guests EVEN after original reservation is over

There’s definitely some irony with prohibiting the extension of the booking off-platform while never paying you for the original on-platform booking.

9 Likes

Whenever I see “…problems with my bank…” I cancel. Guests gotta go. Air doesn’t care. Why depend upon Air to guarantee the money when you already haven’t been paid?

3 Likes

It never crossed my mind to not belive them .
It’s hard to imagine that a company like this would lie to it’s hosts.

Really?

6 Likes

Airbnb has just two tasks to perform for hosts: Bring guests to you and collect their payment. They failed at the latter. There really shouldn’t be any discussion about it. Airbnb should cancel a guest’s reservation if they can’t collect payment before check-in. Airbnb is known to do this in some cases. E.g., with split payments where the first payment is made at booking and the second payment can’t be collected for some reason 7 days before check-in. The inconsistency within Airbnb is staggering.

Still, if they allow a guest to check-in or extend a reservation without collecting payment, then they should take full responsibility for it.

5 Likes

I guess I am being naive. I even have their email as a proof where it says even if they fail.to collect money from guests they will be sure I am paid

They said the incident happened when guest extended . Amount increased and this is when there was shortage of funds .

The sneaky devils didn’t say when you would be paid, though, did they?

1 Like

No they didn’t . Now they are telling me that they are still trying to clarify with guests. I told them that I had same problem with them later on …they have no money and Air shouldn’t be making me accept them .
Noone comments on second part that it’s against policy to make arrangements of site when original reservation is finished ?
That’s for.me was even weirder that nonpaying me .

And if there is an issue with payout within 24 hours and Air and the guest say “Problems with the bank.” I say “Let me help you pack,” and message Air that I fully expect Air to pay the bill.

@Yana you had a 2 day reservation and after 24 hours no payment. You took Air at their word (smh) and even extended and took cash and extended again for credit. Even though you hadn’t been paid for the first 2 days.

this is a great object lesson for me - it reinforces my thoughts on “no pay, no stay.” Good luck getting your money from Air. I sincerely hope they do pay you. It’s not your fault they failed at their job.

1 Like

There’s the most naïve post of 2019!

3 Likes

I assume this was a same day booking or 24 hours before? This is one reason I have 2 day advance notice set. I don’t want to take any chances on a guest’s payment not going through.

I don’t know if some people know that I am hosting for almost 5 years. I never had an incident like this. I had situations where i am sure guests dispute charges when for example they brought more people than max and I didn’t let them in. Airbnb still paid me.
I was always paid without delays.

Naive or not, for 5 years I never had an insident like this . There were situations when they were holding off guests booking untill payment was verified .
What surprises me that for many of you it’s not a surprise that Air doesn’t pay me. So it’s a common practice that I was not aware of?

1 Like

Yes it was same day …but most of my bookings are and always have been same days.

I honestly expect Airbnb to pay, but like I said, the question is when. There is probably some internal trigger in their system (that they won’t disclose) that actually escalates the problem to somebody that can handle it.

No it was not.like this. I extended after original reservation was over for cash . The original reservation was extended from 2 to 5 days the very next day after guests checked in , the same day when I was supposed to be paid .

Yes, there are many such reports on the Airbnb CC.

2 Likes

Hopefully they will…what worries me that instead of saying we will pay for sure in 3-4 weeks, they say " we are still looking into this" .

It’s surprises me that it is a surprises to you.
You are or were a moderator of this forum, did you not read the posts?

It happens on regular basis that AirBnB does not pay out for some strange reason.

For me it seems the second year in a row that AirBnB found a way to delay payout for the busiest week of the year.
Fortunately it is only 1 listing, all other have booked direct.

Last year their bank dit not update the contact data of our bank. This year it seems some of our account data is missing, although the helpdesk confirms all data is there.

That is why BDC is so much better… no hands in your pockets.

1 Like