Slam my listing

Honestly, it’s bland overall.
When you look closely, it is well thought out, nice furnishings, probably has everything one would need.
I’ve done an analysis on this and what really stands out (rents more often, higher price) are Instagram photos. I mean do-dahs, fake green plants, lots of stuff on the counters, interesting wall hangings, color…bam! Stands out from all the other listings (which is what you want).
Once the photos are taken, then you can remove a few things from the counters so that it is actually easier for guests to put their stuff around.

I don’t quite get that. I agree about color and interesting art. But knicknacks, and lots of stuff on the counters? Most guests have told me they hate places that are cluttered and full of doodads. They prefer a minimalist space- I’m not talking about that all white and grey and black look and fairly barren, but guests don’t want to find surfaces covered with useless, decorative items. At least the ones I’ve talked to.

And fake plants? Why?

3 Likes

Hmmmm… many guests will not be happy if the place looks different than the photos…

3 Likes

I like the decor a lot… I don’t like a lot of stuff on surfaces. I love the pops of red.

The bed itself looks uninviting to me. Like others have said, I like to read or go on my phone before I sleep, and the bed frame doesn’t look like I could lean on it. I’d want a big bolster and a bunch of pillows. This would be especially important as I don’t see a comfy chair or couch.

3 Likes

I agree. I’m going to venture a guess that Rolf doesn’t read in bed at night, so didn’t consider that.

I’d put a bolster pillow that hangs from the metal frame at the head of the bed. With a couple of covers, so they can be removed for washing. There’s no way I could get comfortable to sit up and read in bed, as I do every night, as that bed is now.

1 Like

You’re right that it takes perspectives from other people to see limitations and weaknesses in your listing. That’s a great idea to make the back board for sitting up and reading, although my other two rooms also have similar lack of sit up space.

1 Like

I really like your place. Its tastefully decorated, spacious and light. I think you’ve achieved the convenience of a hotel with a taste of home. Good job!

4 Likes

I like the place, how about a little more about the area, links to attractions, etc.?

1 Like

My take on it is that people choose a house, based on feeling first. If it feels like luxury or designer or beautiful, then YES is the internal response. Amenities and hi speed internet do not elicit the same psychological response. They need to be there.

Here are some pictures of mine. If you envision how the picture would look without the ‘do dahs’, then I think it would be far less of a ‘oh, that’s really pretty’.

Now, when the guests arrive, there is a toaster, coffee pot, jars with coffee, tea, creamer etc on the counter, not a fake green plant. No one feels duped because the house is still beautifully decorated but the amenities (like coffee and a pot) are there for them to use.

2 Likes

I agree about fluffing up the bed a bit with more pillows and maybe a different blanket and or comforter. Also, not a fan of indoor cameras! But it looks great, I would stay there!

If it’s a big difference, like couch gone & now 3 chairs or pic of queen bed & they find a queen sofa sleeper instead you are correct.

But for small differences like a few less pieces on counter tops or a couple decorative pillows missing, they will not notice or care.

I’ve changed my area rug, comforter & curtains in the master bedroom. Furniture is the same. No one has commented. I’ve been nipping in between rentals and doing a little at a time. I will do new pics when I finish my “refresh”.

1 Like

Oh dear. I’ve mentioned it in my description but no pic. I thought we only had to disclose the camera(s). Can you help me find where Airbnb says a pic is required too? I want to do this correctly.

I don’t think there ever was, but my thinking was that ‘disclosing’ by showing a clear picture defuses things. A guest can’t say, for example, that they ‘found’ a ‘hidden’ camera if a clear picture of it is in the (honestly) only place guests really ‘read’. Additionally, I included a shot of what the only ‘interior’ camera sees - the one covering the entrance door - so guests do not make assumptions.

FYI one of my first reviews 5 years ago was a guest casually mentioning ‘finding’ a camera - right over their bed! It was actually a CO2 detector in the corner of their space. NEVER underestimate the power of a guest to wreak havoc…

3 Likes

Does my montage of exterior cameras seem unnecessary? I am here to be slammed. Does anyone think it will dissuade criminality, or guests?

I don’t know if it’s necessary but it can’t hurt. I have pictures of both my Ring camera and one of my other outdoor cameras. No one can complained and it doesn’t hurt my booking rate.

4 Likes

I was lucky that Costco had LED overhead motion detector lights on sale for $9.99! I bought 3, 2 for entry areas and one for the upstairs hallway. Guests keep unplugging the night light in the bathroom, even with a quad GFCI outlet.

1 Like

I don’t know about the pics, but their presence will dissuade criminality.
Last month I stayed in my condo for a week doing maintenance. I ordered some decor items to be delivered after my arrival. They were delivered early.

From my ring doorbell I saw a maintenance worker, “heavy eyeballing” my packages a couple times. He glanced directly in my camera and walked away. A friend collected my packages shortly after.

1 Like

Yeah we are thinking about putting a “Smoke Detector” LABEL on it, etc - just in case.

Do it! I have an Airwick automated spray unit that I had to label and also put the Airwick logo on it after a guest ‘wondered’ about it!

1 Like

Yes my area requires Carbon monoxide detectors although it is an all electric community. They are labeled as CO detector to prevent questions plus it displays temperature. I can see Simone thinking it is a hvac thermostat