Should I provide a bad review for this location?

So you are assuming something, without giving her a chance.

8 Likes

I don’t really like the phrase ‘you get what you pay for’ but this thread seems to be a good example.

Our apartments are more than twice the price and accommodate only two people. The guests get a bottle of wine, snacks, bottled water, expensive toiletries, fresh flowers and fruit etc. etc.

But - two bog rolls, one roll of paper towel in the kitchen, starter coffee only (maybe enough for ten cups), sample size washing up liquid, sample size toothpaste, sample size soap etc. (and plenty of cleaning materials under the kitchen sink as a large hint).

This is the same no matter how long or short the stay. But they are all costed properly into the nightly price. And the type of guests we get seem to be more travel-wise as they expect to go shopping and supply things for themselves.

The apartment below ours is on Airbnb for a fraction of the price. We are almost always fully booked, the one downstairs is not. So if people choose a budget listing, they can’t expect the same amenities as a more expensive one.

3 Likes

I rented a large home recently with 3.5 bathrooms. Two had bidets. At $700 a night I expect plenty of TP. When I contacted the owner, who was also away from the property on vacation, he told me the places to look but there were no spare rolls. We ended up having just enough without buying more. I would have bought more without deducting stars. I did tell him in the private feedback that when you have 8 women for a week, some of whom are menstruating age still, that 12 rolls isn’t enough.

I noticed the review right after mine explicitly mentioned there was plenty of toilet paper and other paper goods which I thought was odd. That tells me he corrected the issue, maybe over corrected. LOL.

4 Likes

Yes, we have a bit of different traveling culture.

We are used to ask upfront to what is available. We do not assume there are towels or bedding.
Because there a differences between countries.

We are used to arrive, unload the luggage from the car and then go out to buy the basics. Going to the supermarket on arrival day, and buy local products is part of the travel culture.

1 Like

giant-toilet-paper

Solved that issue for next time.

wesellmonsterbogroll.com

JF

10 Likes

I don’t see how your list of complaints warrants a “BAD” review, I think you got a deal!
If those issues bother you then leave a comment in the private feedback, but leaving a public review for such minor issues seem petty.
I mean you no offense but you may be better suited to a traditional hotel stay.

4 Likes

I think that’s exactly what was provided. No “maybe” here.

2 Likes

I didn’t make it clear. She was in country when we arrived and then I asked about the missing supplies. She said first check under the kitchen sink and get back to her. I then found there was nothing but by then she had left the country. Only then did you tell me normally she only provides one toilet roll and no detergent.

Would stress this not in the public review, nor in the private feedback (which may never be read), but in a note directly to the host, because there is DEFINITELY a problem of either a big clog or (expensive!) collapsed drain that the host needs to see to yesterday to avoid calamity.

(i.e., you think this is a problem for the guest … ? ai yi yi, it’s a huge headache for the host who has to get on and it shell out $$$$. Or francs or Euros for that matter.)

4 Likes

I was a little concerned about your viewpoint on the soap powder and washing machine. As a host, you know that the box we tick for washer says “in the building, free or for a fee”. If you expect soap powder, do you also expect it to be free and the use of the machine to be free as well, even though there’s nothing in the listing to say one way or another? I think it’s best to find out ahead of time instead of having the expectation without the host confirming it. Expectations without confirmation of the actual situation result in disappointment on both sides. I’ve never bought into the idea that hosts are more difficult guests but OPs post is eye-opening.

6 Likes

The place I rented in Rome last month had a shower that drained very slow, too. So obviously, it’s common throughout Europe and Europeans expect it. :crazy_face:

Seriously though, You definitely should say something to the host since he/she might not know about it, but think about how it actually impacted your stay if you bring it up in the review.

I had a guest tell me the tub/shower in my listing was draining very slow and the water would get ankle deep when taking a shower. I checked it by running the tub spout on full for few minutes but it never backed up, so I assumed the guest did something wrong. Then the next guest said in her private feedback that the tub/shower drain must be clogged with hair. It took me an hour to figure out that the drain plug was defective and would close most of the way on it’s own after at least 10 minutes of running very hot water. I didn’t have time to fix it before the next guest, so I explained to the guest how to reset it and then I replaced the drain after that guest checked out. I messaged the guest that left me private feedback and thanked her. I’m happy no guest mentioned it in the public review or deducted stars, as I’m sure any host would be.

4 Likes

Yes but how many hosts don’t fix the problem and instead spend their time constructing rationalizations for why they can’t or shouldn’t fix it?

If I’m in certain places of course I expect things to be different for cultural reasons. We had a fun thread here once about throwing toilet paper in the trash rather than flushing it. You could really see privileged westerners imposing their expectations on the world.

1 Like

What? Even Moi? oh, and Malagachica and Jaquo…

1 Like

It’s hardly surprising that @JohnF comments resonates with you as he was the only one who agreed with you :slight_smile: Everyone else felt that you got what you paid for and shouldn’t be judging what is clearly a basic listing by your own hosting standards. You did get basic facilities. It’s just you wanted more.

I have looked at the reviews and I agree with @KKC they are mediocre and mark the host down for cleanliness so your point out European expectations being lower is pretty…pointless.

And it is completely irrelevant whether the host is in another country. You are a host and know the drill. If something is not as described in the listing or not working you contact the host within 24 hours of arrival or their co-host and ask for it to be fixed. If you have chosen not to do this. Then you can’t complain about it not working.

4 Likes

I think of all the barrage of comments that came this is probably the one that I will follow.

I won’t affect the rating but provides personal comments on areas where I’ve personally think they could have improved.

On one occasion a host made a private suggestion after a five-star review which was a very useful suggestion for me.

But I wouldn’t say the comments were minor because a toilet that does not flush all the time is something that needs to be addressed.

And a shower over a tab that does not drain away also suggest there are drainage problems that need to be remedied.

And what about me…can’t believe you missed me out :frowning: :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not entirely sure why a reference to Southern California because nowhere did I say where my Airbnb location is and it’s certainly not in the US. And I’ve never even stayed in an Airbnb property in the US.

The toilet is relatively modern I would say about 10 years old and I wish I were that age now :grinning:

Would you stay in a an airbnb listing where the Host says only one toilet roll provided?

And undoubtedly you would think the Host was a bit thrifty and avoid that location.

As I said in another reply the water was not draining immediately so even when I completed my shower and stepped out the bath was quite full of water. But I do appreciate the comment made about making constructive criticisms. Perhaps I was a bit harsh in judging the location but my standards I guess have been set by a number of other Aiirbnb properties I visited all outside the US which were to a much superior standard of similar cost.

Well at least you do provide two pods of laundry detergent based on the length of stay of the guests My host did nothing of the sort and I didn’t really think I needed to be carrying detergent with me as I traveled around Europe.

I’m confused. Did you or did you not let the host know about the toilet and slow drain? If not I don’t see how you can mention them in a public review unless you state clearly that you “discovered a couple of plumbing issues but didn’t bother to report them”. If you did report them and suspect they won’t be fixed, and feel compelled to say something in the public review, then I would say “I reported a couple of plumbing issues that are hopefully resolved by now”. This would give a guest a chance to ask directly about the issues. In regard to the tp and detergent, I haven’t looked at the listing but from what others have said it sounds like you chose a Motel 6 but are expecting the Ritz?

2 Likes

I would, and I have. In the US, even.

I think the takeaways here (whether or not you choose to take the advice) are:

1. If something is not shown in photographs or detailed in the listing, do not assume it is included, and absolutely do not take off stars for it.

2. Ratings should be based on your experience with that particular listing, and not compared to your own (or anyone else’s listings, for that matter).

3. Always let your host know of issues immediately when they occur, and give them the opportunity to remedy the situation(s).

4. If you ignore #3 above, do not use the public review as the way to inform your host of issues.

4 Likes