Should I provide a bad review for this location?

This is what I post (discreetly) in my apartments to help guide guests in reviewing my listings:

What makes a 5-Star Airbnb stay?

A thorough, accurate description of the property and its amenities and location

Clear, responsive and prompt communication with host

Easy to follow check-in process

A clean , comfortable and welcoming space

Good value for the money

We strive to provide our guests with a travel experience that meets their expectations, and then some. If you like our place and want to tell other travelers about it, the best way to do so is by leaving a 5-star review. And if we’ve missed the mark – please tell us during your stay so we can earn your 5-star review!

4 Likes

Then you should confirm with the host that they provide detergent before you book.

4 Likes

Don’t you shop??? We do have shops in Europe, you know.

5 Likes

Calm down ladies, there is plenty to go around…

…and if it’s not enough, there is always my neighbour’s (Mr Rio Viejo) cellar:

JF

5 Likes

Oh wow…when are we meeting up :slight_smile:

I want a neighbour like Mr Rio @JohnF :slight_smile:

Yeah, and in many shops have you seen the size of the smallest packet/bottle of laundry detergent?

I still maintain that bog roll and laundry supplies (if a washing machine is provided) come under the heading of basic amenities.

JF

2 Likes

I ended buying a 1L bottle of detergent which I will now carry to my next location since while they have a washing machine they don’t say that they provide any detergent. And in this oppressive summer heat in Europe we’re changing clothes every day sometimes twice a day.

1 Like

Wow. ONE LITRE? That must weigh… Maybe a kilo? (2 pounds). What an ENORMOUS burden! Have you hired a fine strapping lad to carry all this for you?

I’ve hosted hosts before. Superhosts even. If I could find a way to absolutely avoid them, I certainly would, and this thread bolsters my thoughts on that 1,000%.

4 Likes

The shower draining so slowly you’re in ankle-deep water while using it is the only real complaint about the accommodation itself (vs. supplies). One shouldn’t just assume that a remote host can’t resolve this issue. I’m remote. If a guest reports a plumbing issue, I can have a plumber come right over, I’ve got arrangements.

I see you asked about supplies. There wasn’t enough toilet paper, it should have been more than one roll IMO. I see you asked and didn’t find the extras the host thought were there.

I hope guests don’t assume that I can’t fix a shortcoming of supplies just because I’m remote. If my cleaner forgot to restock for some odd reason, she just has to hop on her Mule (that’s a motorized vehicle :wink: ) and drive 3/10ths of a mile, unlock the garage, and give the guests more.

You should have given her the chance to fix the drain. If you ding her on it by mentioning it in the review it is only fair to also mention that that you didn’t ask for help because you made assumptions.

Also, “I’m a superhost” has nothing to do with your stay. These forums make me groan at the thought of ever hosting another host, much less a SUPER host. I’m serious.

7 Likes

Personally I really don’t like it when a post starts with “I’m a superhost with 5 star reviews and…”

So am I. So are many of us here. It’s not difficult. Blah blah. But by the way, @LoneStar, I’m a great guest :wink:

5 Likes

Okay you can stay. Just don’t remind me you’re a Super Host when booking. :smiley:

1 Like

I’m sorry…where are you located again? :grin::grin::grin:

That filename starts with “lust”. Appropriate.

Since we are not privy to the House Manual we have no clue what the host states in their property regarding TP or Washing Soap. Slow drains maybe a problem but automatically assuming that it won’t be handled in a timely manner may be a disservice to the host. I provide TP depending on the # of nights the guest(s) are staying. Washer/dryer is not listed in the amenities but is available by special permission and we do not provide soap. I had too many individuals decide to do all of their vacationing laundry (3 or more loads) when staying just one night. While it is not the amount of the laundry soap or water but trying to get my own laundry done got to be a tug of war with guests or I find my laundry from the dryer thrown on the floor. So review the apartment honestly but not comparatively to yours.

1 Like

The reverse works as well. I just had a Super Host stay. She gave me 5-stars, mentioned that she was taking notes from my place so that she could integrate it into her listing and said in the review that it was the best airbnb she’d ever been to. It actually meant more to me because she was also a Super Host and has been one for a long time (and I looked up her listing and it was awesome). Of course I like good reviews from any guests but her feedback was more special because of her ‘expertise’.

But I was nervous about it!

6 Likes

I’m also a great guest. In an airbnb recently I did mention it to the host while we were talking. She was telling me about problems she’s had with other guests not realizing she had dogs, lived there, etc and I started giving her hints. She was like, “oh yeah, you book awhile ago and I’d forgotten.”

I booked my first AirBnB stay recently for a future date and, after reading here for so long, was scared I might get cancelled. I contemplated creating a completely different account, but I had $40 in travel credit. :laughing:

At $10 per person per day? In a heartbeat, but I would expect budget accomodation, not Martha Stewart “chic”.

2 Likes

I’m sure you’re a great guest and you’d be welcome, also. However, you might like this one little cabin … :wink:

1 Like

It’s different for Americans to travel in Europe for sure . In not that expensive countries when I am in Portugal or Greece or even some areas of Italy, Eastern Europe I always stay in 3-4 star hotels as I know better …2 stars are only good in Germany :slight_smile:
Even 4 star is often a small room but clean and central location. I can’t compare it with 4*
Star hotel in any city of US.
Same with amenities or some irregularities of plumbing , internet and other . Nothing like here in US, not in one country in a world I saw as much luxury and abandance of everything as we have here.
Here I leave a whole pack of toilet papers and paper towels and tissues and soap and shampoo and body wash and qtips and laundry detergent. I leave a whole set of condiments in a fridge and …I have complains from guests that I didn’t throw it away :).
I would never hear such a thing from Europians . They would gladly use it .
If we analyze we are charged for many things in Europe that in US we are given for free.