Security Cameras Outdoor/Indoor

Thank you for your feedback but that last statement was really unnecessary.

3 Likes

why was my post removed?

Fat shaming adds absolutely nothing to the conversation. Nothing. If you want to engage in that sort of posting, Reddit is for you.

But then again maybe I should restore it so everyone can see what a jerk you are.

6 Likes

It is clinical science that obesity is a problem. Why do you not delete all the threads about people that smoke? Also, it was clear I was making a comical reference to a possible situation of having indoor cameras that clearly could exist.

Wow. @Brandt Fat shaming… That’s a new low for personal attacks. You should be ashamed of yourself.

The thing I like about this forum is how blunt yet actually supportive this group is. We’re from all over and lively in discourse and disagreements, but that’s out of line.

4 Likes

Okay, have it your way.

Defending the indefensible. Clearly it wasn’t clear to the moderator and someone also probably flagged it.

Tell me, did you think Bill Maher’s recent remarks and fat shaming were comical? Because James Corden took Maher apart on rebuttal.

1 Like

Please let me know who I personally attacked.

Anyone with a weight problem or poor body image. In this day and age, that could be 90% of people anywhere.

Clearly you weren’t as funny as you thought you were. Give up. the hole’s only getting deeper.

4 Likes

This from a Moderator!!!:

jaquo](Profile - jaquo - Airbnb hosts forum)Moderator

10d

It depends on the bloke. Some hunky twenty five year old would be fine. An old bloke with a hairy beer belly is another matter.

It wouldn’t bother me in the least because I have this thing called a neck and these items called eyelids so I don’t have to look if I don’t want to.

Mind you I’m in Florida so that means that a) we are more casual than many other places and b) I’ve sort of seen it all by now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Florida here too… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Standards don’t seem to be followed.

As others have said, just because you can doesn’t mean you should. Guests are already paranoid about this issue.

1 Like

The one clear exception to the indoor cameras, to me, is in an Airbnb that is run like a hostel. They often have cameras in the kitchen area and that seems normal and okay and everyone is aware. The idea is that it keeps the kitchen clean and your food not eaten by others. There are often fines for not doing your dishes in these situations and it likely does help it work best as there can be 20+ different travelers using the kitchen.

I used to stay in hostels a lot before Airbnb was a thing (internationally of course but also extensively in the US). In the larger hostels with a big, shared kitchen, there would usually be a “monitor” that was there to keep everyone on track and honest. I think indoor cameras in this situation replaces that monitor - e.g. hostels have a long history of monitoring common areas and it is one way that makes it work for everyone involved.

I’m not a big fan of cameras in home situations, particularly if they are monitoring anything other than the front entrance. They take away the “home” feeling for me (though I totally understand why some hosts have them). I personally won’t rent a place that has cameras on the back porch/yard/patio/pool area as I feel those are invasive of basic relaxation and leave too much room for an unscrupulous host to get creepy. However, I wouldn’t hesitate to stay in a hostel-type listing that has indoor cameras on the common areas. In fact, it would give me more confidence that the hostel was being run well and taken care of.

2 Likes

I woudn’t stay in a place with indoor cameras. That’s just too invasive and creepy for me.

3 Likes

I had thought of in addition to putting one out front putting one in back yard but I see your point if someone wants to go outside and drink their coffee in their jammies. We have a 6 ft tall privacy fence out back but it does not go across the back of the yard as that is made private by tall trees and shrubbery and only has a 4 foot chain link fence since our shed is back there behind the fence. We do however have a fire pit out back and wonder if we put one focusing on that area and maybe not the main patio area.

Just want to make it clear that you are only permitted to put cameras in shared areas of shared hosting. Never in whole house rentals except for outside.

1 Like

Another host here in wooded N. GA area had a guest who didn’t extinguish the fire pit properly. It caught nearby trees on fire. Her outdoor camera alerted her and though she tried to alert the guest, the guest slept through it. The remote host had to call the fire department. A different host’s outdoor cameras caught another guest using a propane torch on a guest’s wooden deck. Outdoor cameras can find out it’s racoons making the mess in the yard, not guests. Guests peeing off the deck is an invasion of their privacy but I also want to know if that behavior is going on. So I’d have outdoor cameras and all the guests who object will have to choose another listing.

On my own listing the cameras are at the front of the porch. Once guests come onto the porch I can’t see them except by looking out the front window. And of course neighbors can see them. A little common sense and you can have security while your guest has some, but not complete, privacy.

This isn’t absolute. For example, If you have a camera pointed at a cabinet of fine first edition rare widgets and it is fully disclosed, this is permitted.

I have about 10 exterior cameras installed outside of the house. I use the Wyze cameras. I spent about $25 each. No need to spend anymore than necessary. I do turn off the audio recording to preserve the guests’ privacy and it doesn’t add anymore security. Some cameras are next to lounging areas and I’m sure guests may want their conversations private.