Shirtless in common areas?

Never had it happened to me in 4+ years and hundreds of guests @John2233

Maybe it’s more of a US thing from the responses from other hosts here.

I’ve never been to a hotel where people would walk around communal areas topless and wouldn’t particularly want guests doing it in my home.

Here it would be seen as rude to do so and rather odd.

1 Like

Do you mean “big” as in tall or “big” as in obese? Either way, I would suggest that in future your rule be “No shirt, no stay”.

You haven’t been on a cheap package deal to Benidorm then?

:laughing:

JF

2 Likes

I agree with you. I even feel uncomfortable when my brother (who is quite overweight) walks around shirtless. Yuk.

There is nothing cheap about me @JohnF :blush:

1 Like

It depends on the bloke. Some hunky twenty five year old would be fine. An old bloke with a hairy beer belly is another matter.

It wouldn’t bother me in the least because I have this thing called a neck and these items called eyelids so I don’t have to look if I don’t want to.

Mind you I’m in Florida so that means that a) we are more casual than many other places and b) I’ve sort of seen it all by now. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

This is why I put a robe in the room. However one guy paraded around in a bath towel, and I am embarrassed to report that the visuals were rather pleasant (slap me)

8 Likes

Nope. Nothing wrong with a decent piece of eye candy however politically incorrect that might be. They’re not stopping me looking. :wink:

3 Likes

I think if it’s your space, you can make that a rule if you want to.

Do you ever have multiple guests at one time? If that’s the case then I think asking all guests to be fully clothed in common areas is very fair.

Thanks for the interesting & helpful replies.
To each his own.

OMG, you’d think the shirt on is a polite thing that is taught by parents before even reaching school age. I can’t imagine me putting up with a guys like that (unless he’s a super model and I’d have something to look at, but even then!!!)
Calmly ask him to wear a shirt because he is in somebody’s house, not in a hotel where he could do whatever he wanted. Tell him that because riding busses or going to restaurants or shops requires one to be covered, so is living in someone’s house.

1 Like

Are there any other opinions on this topic? Which nudity level would you accept as a host?

Ah feck, I’ll get my popcorn for this’un…

JF

1 Like

In what kind of listing?

I think I have a high tolerance for the equivalent of what’s acceptable on a traditional (not nude) beach. I also live in a neighborhood in the US and there are legal and polite standards in this country and I’m running a business, not a social experiment. I think female top nudity has been excessively sexualized and the shaming of women breastfeeding in public must stop. But I don’t want my female guests having their coffee on the front porch sans shirt.

I had a male guest with two dogs who tried unsuccessfully to take his dogs out to relieve themselves in the middle of the night. He didn’t take them on a leash and they left the yard. He had no shirt and what I think were men’s boxer style underwear. He went to the edge of the house that is still relatively dark and called them but they didn’t return. So then he had to run out in the well lighted driveway and thought better of it. He ran back in the room, grabbed a shirt and pants and went back out to retrieve his dogs. Luckily he got them back quickly. Poking around in other people’s yards in your underwear or nude looking for your dogs will get the police called on you or here in Texass, perhaps shot.

An Airbnb isn’t the place for “nudity levels” unless they are dedicated nudist accommodations in unpopulated areas.

2 Likes

I don’t think of anything like exhibitionism. Just think of hot days in the summer. A guest prefers to wear as little clothing as possible due to temperatures, maybe just boxershorts. Then he shortly wants to go from his room to the kitchen or to the bathroom. May he do so without putting more clothes on if you are with him in the apartment? I am assuming that the guest is sympathetic to you and that you have already talked a bit.

If a dude want to hang around in his boxers all day he should rent an entire place, not a home share 99.9% of the time. If he can find a host who also likes to sit around all day in boxers and get his body oils and sweat all over everything, good for him. Or her. Women also wear boxers, sweat and get oily.

1 Like

Ok, I am additionally assuming that the guest doesn’t have a sweating problem.

My rental is at the beach & close to the pool. It is a whole home rental. It is a popular retirement area.

I’m leading to:
Bathing suits, shorts, tees, shirtless, are all common. Not everyone has that luscious body they did at 25 (I don’t). If I had a no shirt, no shoes, no sagging, no rental policy, I would be out of business.

Btw—my faux leather recliners breakdown from the oils and require replacement every 4-5 years. That why I buy cheap. My neighbors expensive/nice leather recliner finish broke down after 2 years so cheap is good….

LOL. So it’s so hot the guest wants to go around in boxers but doesn’t sweat? I’m trying to decide if you’re clueless or trolling. Sweat isn’t a problem, it’s natural.

You’re just not going to be a fit for most people’s shared home Airbnb.

Agreeing—It’s just a body function. We all have them