Security Camera in Garage

Hello, I am a new host. We host a whole house where we keep our boat in half of the garage. The other half is available for guests. They can use the washer/dryer in the garage. There is a door from the garage to the kitchen and another door from garage to the backyard. We have disclosed the presence of recording security cameras. Am I allowed to have a security camera in the garage? i don’t think it fits the airbnb description of a “private space like bedrooms, bathrooms, or sleeping areas”. The garage camera is pointed at the boat but also captures anyone walking from the kitchen door to the washer/dryer. Here is my description:
“The property features recording security cameras in the front yard, in back yard above the spa, in back yard near door to garage and one inside the garage aimed at our boat.”
Thank you for your replies!

I don’t think there is any problem with it. But cameras anywhere inside can be tricky so just make sure anyone who rents the home knows about that camera. For example, after they book, message them and mention it.

4 Likes

I agree with @kkc about it should be acceptable & inside is tricky.

On a different forum a guest was freaking out about interior cameras. Turns out the cameras were not placed by the host, but by the condo/apartment owner at the entrances & common apartment hallways (hallway separate apartments had their front doors).

All sorts of mis-informed violation of privacy comments were posted. The cameras didn’t break any rules because they were in common access areas BUT the host didn’t fully disclose them.

Drama & unhappiness because of lack of detailed disclosure

1 Like

I would reconsider access to garage and laundry… Laundry gets abused for the most part IMO, guest will wash one thing if they need it.

RR

3 Likes

Disclose early in your description and more than once since people only read parts, if anything, of what we post. I certainly think that it would be considered shared space.

2 Likes

I would add a little sign on the wall, “Security Camera In Operation For Your Protection.” Of course it’s for your boat’s and other valuable items’ protection, too, but no need to say that.

2 Likes

I like that idea the best. A sign right on the door between the house and the garage would be perfect.

Not what was being asked about, but guests don’t complain about being recorded in the hot tub/backyard? I’m not sure if I’d like that. I want to put a camera in the backyard to view my septic alarm box but I thought people might complain.

Have the alarm box call your phone!

It’s old & doesn’t have that feature. I do however own the camera so no extra expense. Maybe someday.

Totally agree. I had to take off that as an amenity due to abuse by guests. I had one couple ask if they could do “Just one load” and I said sure, but it has to finish by 10pm because it’s by my master bedroom and the noise will disturb me. At 11:45pm they come waltzing home and start laundry. I was up with them until 1am. I dinged them on house rules, communication, and would not host again. This was only 1 of the instances where they were inconsiderate in a shared home listing.

Other guests have been heading to other Air properties with washing facilities and done 5 loads (my listing allowed for 1 per week for their personal items, I did beach and bath towels and linens).

Nope, not again.

I have a sign on my garage door that says “garage interior monitored by security camera.”

Our laundry facilities are in a locked laundry room. Therefore guests have to ask me for a key for access. Both the washer and the dryer need 4 quarters (which I’m happy to supply with a sachet of Tide if required).

I tell them that HOA rules dictate laundry use between 9 am and 7 pm only. Quoting a ‘higher power’ (the HOA) works really well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d suggest making sure this description is in the House Rules in addition to the “Things your guests should know → Safety Devices”. The House Rules text serves as an implicit contract binding bookings and is the only section that you can not change after the booking (or even if you edit it, the guest will still see what it was when they booked).

But know that most guests don’t read stuff, so if you think it would likely be noticed by and bother guests, better to find a different camera setup to monitor your boat.

1 Like

Oh I’d love to do that. But I’m a shared home listing and the laundry is inside, albeit on the other end of the house. I just took off the amenity.

1 Like

Is there a ‘higher power’ you can use?

Ideas here.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Great read. Yes, I have invented principals several times. STR is the biggie. As we know, that 1% of guests who don’t read, don’t care about you. Hence the man doing laundry at 1am while going to an AirBnB the next day that has facilities.

I did try charging for the laundry but that didn’t go over well. So now I just say “No, I’m sorry, due to abuse by previous guests, I can’t offer use of the laundry room. Do you want the location of the nearest Fluff 'n Fold? Does your next Air listing offer laundry?” If they ask for examples of abuse of privileges, I have a list ready.

But I don’t have a problem with clearly delineating boundaries, I’m working on better diplomacy! :wink:

That’s why I come here!!

1 Like

Don’t offer an excuse, just say no. “I’m sorry, but we don’t offer that to our guests”. If they start to quibble, just repeat.

2 Likes