Returning items left by guests

Found a gold bracelet u der a bed.
Messaged the last 2 guests and both claimed it.
Asked them both to describe it.
One described and sent me a photo of her wearing it.
Dead silence from the other……

7 Likes

I’ve had this happen to me in the past week, the guest lost a ring. She rang me and asked me to walk around the suite and giving me spots to look in. I’d already looked quite thoroughly but I did as she requested, and we even got a large bit of flat metal to scrape under the bathtub (there’s a 1cm gap) and I video’d that and sent it to her, just to show her we looked everywhere for it. I don’t need her thinking I’m keeping her “gold ring shaped like a snake with emeralds for eyes”.

During the course of our convo she told me about another time she’d lost some precious jewellery… ! I’m still hoping she finds it tucked in some cranny of her bag, or perhaps in the seat of the car.

2 Likes

fk me, some people are just the worst.
I’m worried about asking my current guests to keep an eye out for it, in case they do indeed find it, and keep it.

1 Like

I lost a ring and found it several times. That ring had a history, in that I had lost it twice before. Once I thought it had come off when I was transplanting a large plant in the garden, had dug a large hole and filled it all back in. I wasn’t in the mood to dig it up again, so put it on the back burner thinking I’d do it at some point in the future. But I ended up finding it in my compost box 6 months later when I was screening it.

Second time was when I was up in Canada, and a friend had hired me to work in their garden. When I got back to my daughter’s place, where I was staying, I realized my ring was gone and went back to search for it everywhere I’d been working, but didn’t find it. My daughter found it in her yard a month after I left.

The third time, I had no idea where I might have lost it and assumed it was gone for good. It had been missing for 2 years until this Xmas when my grandson came up to me and said, “I just found a cool ring”. He had found it on the dirt patch right next to my house where I park and I had walked back and forth there a thousand times. He said it was just laying there, in full view.

So you might just find that guest’s ring someday when you have forgotten all about it. Not sure how mentioning it to the current guests would encourage them to keep it if found. If they are the types to keep something that obviously could be valuable, they would do that regardless, wouldn’t they? If they were honest people, they would tell you they found a ring, whether they knew another guest had asked about it or not. After all, it could be yours or whoever cleaned the place.

1 Like

Must have been awkward when the guest realize it was missing

1 Like

Put it aside and wait for the guest to ask.

With respect for guest privacy, a good hotel does not contact a guest if they left an item,. Generally items are bagged, logged by date and room number and kept for a set number of months (6 is common) before being appropriately discarded.

They wouldn’t leave an item or put it back in the room or track the guest down to return it. Items left behind are up the guest to request, the guest can decide if the item is of importance.

6 Likes

that’s a good policy for a hotel to adopt, but we are not hotels. I’m not storing anyone’s lost items for 6months, I contact guests straight away and ask them what they’d like me to do.

2 Likes

The point is regarding discretion and privacy for the guest no matter how many rooms you have. Up to you how long to keep or not keep lost and found.

3 Likes

Good choice of answers here .
You could also wait to see if they ask you about THAT item.
Let us know what you decide to do and the outcome.

1 Like

I would put it away, and if someone asks for it, return it. You say you’re pretty sure who left it, so if they come and go without asking, problem solved. No one asks for it after 30 days, throw it away. That’s what stores, restaurants, and hotels usually do.

1 Like

Isn’t that an amenity?

1 Like

You could say the cleaners found this item but can’t recall after which guest as they forgot to tell me immediately afterwards. So that gives you a work around in case it’s not your last guest’s item. Also they are very expensive so I’m sure whose ever it is will be happy to get it back. We’re all adults here.

2 Likes

I’m wondering where it was found in the unit. If it was in the bag and tucked someplace that a guest might not expect you to check regularly, they might have left it for their next regular visit.

2 Likes

That is a genuine fear. I would have anxiety.
Not sure what to do.
Open question maybe. Did you leave anything behind last time ?

Are you sure it wouldn’t just be excitement? :joy:

2 Likes

On the nightstand in a bag in plain sight.

Then you must know exactly which guest left it. I don’t understand the issue. Why wouldn’t you contact that guest and ask what they’d like you to do with it? Was this a joke post all along?

1 Like

He said at one point there was some question as to whether it had been left by the repeat guest who just checked out or the previous one, like the cleaner had forgotten to tell him right away which booking it was and forgot herself.

I remember. But he’s just told @Christine_Shirtcliff that that it was left “on the nightstand in plain sight”. That doesn’t add up. If something is sitting on the nightstand in plain sight then the most recent guest left it there. We’re clearly being played with. Online exposure kink or something.

1 Like

Doubt if it was on nightstand in plain sight that the cleaner wouldn’t know who left it. At least, I would remember.

Since the repeat guest was to come again by this past weekend, wonder what happened.