RECAP LINK: Chesky Live today 3/30 at 3 pm PT

Yeah, I absolutely get that! Of course. Yes.

I’m on the right side of this, surely you guys know that?

It’s just been a really really bad day otherwise. People are dying and stuff.

I would feel very uncomfortable/embarrassed with Air emailing my prior guests and asking for donations to cover my second home (ski condo).

6 Likes

This is the only thing that I said that was at all directed to a forum member:

Wow. Super generalization on your part.

Is this really considered an “attack”? I thought we were having repartee?

1 Like

I went directly from the link in the CC right at 3pm and it started playing an old video. I imagine it was some glitch with needing to clear my cache. I watched a couple minutes thinking WTF?. I refreshed the page and got an error.

Yep, just 12% of the expected total payout for the original reservation.

They are offering free cancellation to every guest for every booking after May 31. Hosts get nothing.

I expect almost every guest will cancel. They can easily then just rebook with the same or different host for less money.

“For reservations booked on or before March 14 with a check-in after May 31, we recognize there may still be uncertainty. In the coming weeks, we’ll be asking hosts and guests to revisit these reservations and choose to either cancel or re-commit to the reservation.”

1 Like

That seems completely reasonable. I would even expect it to be extended at some point. It doesn’t seem right to hold guests to reservations considering the circumstances.

This thing is just getting started and “guests” as we’ve known them, won’t really be a thing for awhile. It’s a good idea to try house med professionals in the meantime or just go LTR for awhile. I can’t see where STR guests are going to fit into the scenario right now. The world is shutting down … and not soon enough :slightly_smiling_face:

If we’re lucky…maybe we get guests late in the Fall…but I’m an optimist :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

No, I’m shutting down. ($240k gross bookings last year.)
There is no business model that can withstand a loss of trust. AIrBnB is finished. Another STR platform will come along and take its place.

1 Like

Bugger! :joy:
Not to worry I’ve already moved onward and have had plenty of bookings after rejigging my listings.

Donate it to the scientists working to find a vaccine for this putrid virus.

2 Likes

It’s my understanding that you can opt out of this in some way. I thought that this idea aligned somewhat with the original Airbnb culture of sharing spaces and experiences in a shared home environment. It’s not something you’d expect on BDC obviously and isn’t appropriate for listings generating hundreds of thousands of dollars annually.

I like that someone in Airbnb can still come up with and promote a concept like this and get it adopted as policy. It’s a gesture. There Isn’t a line for it on corporate balance sheets.

1 Like

I already had some regular guest contacting us offering financial help.

Fortunately we do not need it at the moment, but there are plenty of guest who would help out.

But you are right, the average AirBNB guest is not this type of guest. And no I would not use the AirBNB system for money transfers like this.
You want to keep this kind of financial aid of the record.

We’ll get through this, for sure. However the thought of Airbnb sending out a begging letter on our behalf to our past guests, with no idea of the guests current circumstances, comes across as insensitive, for want of a better word.

We are creating a way for guests to send a note along with a contribution to any of the hosts who they’ve previously stayed with.

The bulk of our past/cancelled guests are from Spain. Italy and France. From a financial perspective, there is a high likelihood they’ll be in a far worse place than us given the government policies in place just now.

I’d feel terrible asking any of those guests for money, especially those from northern Italy and Madrid.

JF

2 Likes

This is concerning - “So we’ll be reviewing applications carefully and will select only those hosts who demonstrate the most need.” Do we need to get down on our hands and knees and pray?

What are the eligibility criteria for hosts who offer Airbnb Experiences?

The Superhost Relief Fund supports Superhosts and Airbnb Experience hosts struggling to make ends meet due to the decline in travel caused by COVID-19. This specific fund supports hosts from every country and region except mainland China, where hosts already have a dedicated assistance program.

To qualify, Experience hosts must:
Show a reliance on on Airbnb as a vital source of income
Have a verified identity
Have been an Experience host for 1+ years
Have lost a significant percentage of their earnings due to COVID-19
We want to support as many hosts as we can, but we also want that support to be meaningful. So we’ll be reviewing applications carefully and will select only those hosts who demonstrate the most need.

Yes, while it doesn’t “concern” me as such, I do find the criteria all a bit vague. I understand there are anywhere between 600,000 and 700,000 hosts, and ALL will have suffered financial hardship of some description. How many are SH with two listings or less, and thus qualify, I’ve no idea but it’ll still likely be a six figure sum.

JF

And in their principle place of residence… starting to sound like a treasure hunt.
Or
Shades of Animal Farm.
“Some animals are more equal Than others”

2 Likes

I actually fit all the criteria for someone who would qualify. I’ll keep you folks updated as to what I get from this.

3 Likes

No matter what they did those who were less equal would complain.

The fact is there isn’t enough money in the bank to make up for the lost income. Airbnb’s hopefulness is interesting to me. It’s a good sign but I fear it’s misplaced since the US dragged its heels and is still dragging its heels.

I’ve tried to stay cool and not be irrationally alarmist since I returned from New Zealand but I’m just not seeing what I need to see in the US. Trump’s actions are criminal and if there were any justice in the world he would be hanging from his heels in the public square after it’s all over. Just yesterday he is on TV allowing some yahoo I’ve never heard of take the podium and say that we should all read the Bible. This is what passes for public policy in the 21st century in the nation formerly known as “the most powerful nation in the world.” We are f*****d.

7 Likes

I think they are making some exceptions to Superhost requirements in consideration of the COVID impact.

What makes me so upset is to see his approval ratings have gone up. I had a friend say to me that she was going to listen to him over the scientists because he is our president. I worked as the director of marketing and sales for phd level scientific research journals for over 20 years (molecular biology, immunology, neurology, etc) and tried to explain my background but she shut me down. It’s so distressing to know that people don’t realized that it’s because of his unwillingness to test and isolate back in February when the Who offered us test and his inability to lead this country in PPE, Ventilators and to pit governors against each other that he is compounding the problem. He is not part of the solution. OK, done with my vent and Admins if you need me to delete this message I understand.

6 Likes