RECAP LINK: Chesky Live today 3/30 at 3 pm PT

Well crap, I still have only seen what others have posted. When I tried to watch the video at 3pm on their website, it played the October 2018 Host Q&A video.

This is a pleasant surprise and good on you hosts who have been squawking. Who’d a thunk it.

2 Likes

Well, the ten million ain’t going to go very far. At maximum 5k payout, that’s 2,000 hosts, world wide. Oh hang on, superhosts only; still won’t go very far.

JF

Superhost relief fund.

https://www.airbnb.com/superhostrelief

You can apply after they invite you to apply.

2 Likes

Here are some quotes from their “Superhost Relief Fund” page:

How the fund works
Airbnb invites hosts most in need to apply
We’ll invite hosts who offer a place to stay or an Airbnb Experience, that meet eligibility criteria, and are most in need to apply.
Airbnb reviews applications and provides grants
We’ll review applications from eligible hosts and approve relief grants of up to $5,000 USD for each host, based on financial need.
Relief grants are sent to hosts via their usual payout method
This grant comes with no strings attached—hosts won’t need to repay it and can use it however they need.

What are the eligibility criteria for hosts who offer a place to stay?

The Superhost Relief Fund supports Superhosts and Airbnb Experience hosts struggling to make ends meet due to the decline in travel caused by COVID-19. This specific fund supports hosts from every country and region except mainland China, where hosts already have a dedicated assistance program.

To qualify, hosts who offer a place to stay must:
Only share their primary or secondary residence—no more than 2 active listings
Show a reliance on Airbnb as a vital source of income
Have a verified identity
Have been a Superhost for 1+ years
Have lost a significant percentage of their earnings due to COVID-19
We want to support as many hosts as we can, but we also want that support to be meaningful. So we’ll be reviewing applications carefully and will select only those hosts who demonstrate the most need.

Yay for the “no more than 2 active listings” so huge bloated property managers aren’t taking money from the little guys.

9 Likes

I’m surprised AirBnB is trying to retain hosts by offering us money. I’ll apply if I’m eligible. I’m going to lose Superhost in April due to the virus.

I can’t imagine they wouldn’t suspend the evals for at least this quarter and probably next as well. No one will make it, no one will lose it. I just want my travel credit in Aug. :sob:

Oh they are busy deleting listings right now. LOL. Like those hosts with 6 listings for their 5 bedroom house. LOLOL.

Seriously though I appreciate the symbolism of the effort even if others don’t. I don’t qualify and wouldn’t apply. I do love the qualifications they added.

3 Likes

That’s basically what I was saying 2-3 weeks ago when hosts started complaining that Airbnb has billions and they should just open their wallet and make us all whole.

Still it’s something when they really could have done nothing at all and survived.

1 Like

Hopefully we will be eligible for a grant, cuz our str is our only income this spring, and from Airbnb since Corona its nil, zip, nada. Not even anything to cancel, so we won’t be receiving any of that 25% moolah.

Hopefully you are right about Superhost updates.

Here’s what caught my eye in a synopsis>
" Beginning in April, hosts can apply for grants up to $5,000. And for guests who want to show hosts their support during this time, they will soon be able to make payments directly to hosts."
Which guests are likely to do this??? Directly but through Airbnbn??

It’s an interesting question. It seems like there is a strong every man for himself ethic in the US anyway. But it’s a worldwide program. I’d love to see if guests from certain nations do better than guests from others. Airbnb wouldn’t share that info though.

Wow. Super generalization on your part.

I have 3 active listings inside my primary residence. It’s called a multi-family which is the most common type of house/home (it’s not an apartment building) in my area of the country. We only have it because it was impossible to find a single family home that we could afford (I know that doesn’t make any sense but it is how it is).

So, my 232 5-Star reviews are meaningless. No Superhost relief for me!

And my moderate and/or flexible cancellation policies, which I thought was more guest and company friendly just totally screwed me.

Good thing my husband is out of work for another 6 weeks at least, cause unemployment checks, lol. I’ll try to not get too bloated on them!!

1 Like

I think you know what she meant. You’re attacking a forum member for something that isn’t her fault. They have to draw the line somewhere and no matter where they draw it someone is going to be pissed.

Rant on about how you hate Airbnb but please don’t attack our well meaning fellow hosts.

2 Likes

I was actually thinking about deleting one of mine so that I could maybe qualify. Am I a “they” now??

Does anyone know if it might work? (seriously)

I have 3 but they are all inside my home and I’ve cleaned them all myself, usually all 3 in a day for a year and a half. Everyone can poke, but I certainly worked 3 times as hard. I’m not understanding the flippancy. Honestly, it hurts.

2 Likes

Excuse me? I’ve never said anything about not liking (much less hating) Airbnb. I consider myself a company girl actually! I’m really confused :pensive: I fly the airbnb flag, seriously. Are you confusing me with someone else?

Well, that is also actually my fellow host as well and there’s nothing about it that sounds well-meaning to me. I would think I have just as much right to voice my opinion? It is a generalization. I’m standing by that. Everyone is sensitive right now.

1 Like

I do understand the attacks, but they still hurt too.

You are angry and upset and understandably so. But what you are mad about is that Airbnb drew a line and you are on the wrong side of it. A valued member of our forum, like many of us, doesn’t like the multiple listing corporate hosts. None of us want to see them get a dime. As John pointed out it is precious little money as it is. Draw the line at hosts with 3 listings or less and the pie is even smaller.

Anyway, I’ve nothing else to say about it. Go ahead, voice your opinion.

Oh yeah, I somehow can’t see guests flocking to donate money to hosts. Considering they were all screaming about how they should get a 100% refund.

4 Likes

Well, I would hope they would look at how many listings hosts had before this announcement and base it on that. Not that I would want you, with your 3 little in-house listings, not to qualify. But can you imagine all the property managers with hundreds of listings suddenly cancelling all their listings but 2, just to try to scam their way into this?
The 2-listing criteria is yet another ill-thought out initiative from the masters of ill-thought-out initiatives. There should be a caveat on there about on-site and home-share hosts. Just because a host has 3 extra bedrooms in their homes to let rather than 2, that shouldn’t exempt them.

5 Likes

I could watch it- how did you look for it? You had to go to the post about it in the CC, then click where it said “Bookmark this page”, then call up the bookmark at the correct time. As usual, a convoluted process.
I’m not going to try to recap it for you, but the written recap is posted on the CC now.
And that 25%? That’s 25% of what a host would have normally received if their strict cancellation policy had been upheld- so 25% of 50%, not 25% of the total reservation.