Ready to be suspended?

Got this email last night.Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 8.30.23 AM

Decline breakdown is:
5 wanted to do an event and for whatever reason decided not to.
2 wanted a large discounted price.
1 had a question
1 wanted to collab and decided not to
1 wanted to shoot a music video for less than a night stay

I asked them all to cancel their requests. None did nor replied.

Airbnb said it’s an automatic email (obvisouly). I get that, but that means that next time I decline I will be suspended. She said you need call us to explain your case and it’ll be fine - we’ll release the suspension. Clowns.

She also added that from now on I need to ask the guests to withdrew the request and if they don’t (which we know they won’t), I need to call them for each decline I want to do!

I got one of these for similar reasons (21st birthday pool party, discounts, hates cats…) so I called AirBnB and asked for a supervisor (took an hour) and gave them a piece of my mind. I told them a PERSON should be in charge of checking out why the hosts, whose homes are the money makers, have declined guests.

They boosted me for a couple of days. But I’m pretty firm with people.

5 Likes

You don’t have to decline a request if you have replied to them. Just let it expire.

7 Likes

Asked to talk to a supervisor, she refused. Said they will email me.

They don’t. I left a few open for weeks and they stayed open.

Don’t stop calling. Call every 15 minutes and keep demanding a supervisor.

2 Likes

Were they requests or inquiries. For inquiries you just respond within 24 hours you don’t need to decline. @Oded

For the rest I would have called Airbnb rather than declined them.

5 Likes

When you are not interested in an inquiry, do not decline - just write something back within 24 hours to maintain your response time.

They will time out - once the requested dates arrive.

It sounds like some of the issue is that you “allow events” but keep turning them down?

3 Likes

Hi Helsi,

Speak of the devil. I had an unsuitable request yesterday. I asked him to cancel but he didn’t. In fact there was no communication at all from him.

After a 20 hour wait with no response I called air. They told ME to cancel.

How would you have handled this?

1 Like

Even though it’s written on the listing, guests for some reason, expect events to be priced the same as a night’s stay. So when they hear that a 100 people event is 5 times the price they back off. The serious ones fully get it.

1 Like

Accept them with a special price of $1,000 more, it will go away

6 Likes

It’s obvious some or most of these were inquiries and the solution to @Oded 's problem is simply to not decline inquiries because it’s not required. But, it really doesn’t make sense that declining an inquiry hurts you, especially since it’s the logical thing to do when somebody wants a discount that you’re not willing to give or wants to use your listing for something it can’t support.

Just a thought - maybe create a 2nd listing for the same property that is specific to Events?

1 Like

We stipulate on our calender that we have to have one blank night between guests - and yet twice in the last week we’ve received booking requests at about 6pm or 7pm for that night. I’ve declined both - does this mailing from AirBnB to the Op imply that I have to accept them? We’re in our 70’s and don’t want to be running around in the evening to get the room sorted, etc.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it’s not possible on Airbnb.

Requests or inquiries? If requests, I’d call Air CS and demand to know why I’m receiving requests when I specifically block days between bookings. Make them fix it. And make Air cancel them because it is Air’s fault that their software allows people to request/inquire when you’re clearly booked.

Inquiries - respond with "we’re closed x nights between guests. this date isn’t available. And then dismiss from dashboard.

2 Likes

hi RBassett,

I thought of that. In fact, I keep thinking this guy is going to show up anyway. It’s happened before!

But won’t we get beat up by Air if the guest complains?

Please double-check - this is actually not in the calendar, unless maybe using something like Rule Sets.

Look under LISTING then AVAILABILITY. Edit Reservation Preferences - and make sure it is set to what you desire:

2 Likes

Silly me, I assumed that’s how they’d done it. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

The last couple of times I tried to get Airbnb to withdraw a request for a guest who obviously wanted to break my rules, they told me it is “impossible” for a case manager to do this and it has to be done by the guest or the host. I’ve only had luck with this once. It’s quite frustrating when they post a big red warning on my Performance page letting me know my listing could be at risk if I don’t raise my percentage of accepted bookings, as if I’m the poor performer, when they are the ones who are letting requests go through for guests who are breaking my rules (pets, extra guests) or even violating the Airbnb TOS (third-party bookings).

2 Likes