Quick question about pet fees

I understand if we want to charge a pet fee on AirBnB, we must have it in the house rules. I do not normally allow pets; the listing is a large historic house and pets can cause a lot of damage and extra cleaning. I’ve been in the process lately of editing my house rules and intended to put the pet fee in there but I’d had not done it yet.

I just got an inquiry—not a booking, just an inquiry—about bringing a dog next month. Is it too late to add it to the house rules? I’m not accepting another dog without a pet fee; the extra cleaning is unreal because of the size of the house. I’ve noticed that they all seem to allow the dogs on the beds and furniture too which is something I ask them not to do.

On one hand I could use the booking. On the other hand it’s only two nights and the extra cleaning I’ll have to pay to have done will mean I’ll have very little profit from this stay.

1 Like

I’ll be interested in what more experienced hosts say.

Since it’s just an inquiry, I don’t think it’s too late for you to amend your rules. Provided that you tell this guest on the platform you’re doing that and those rules will be in force when he/she books.

Now let’s see what others say.

1 Like

I don’t know when the system takes the snapshot of the house rules with an inquiry, but I just wouldn’t pre-approve it. Change the house rules now, and if you decide to go through with it, tell the guest to make a reservation request and then add the pet fee in up-front as part of that request.

Seems like an easy choice.

2 Likes

The pet fee would make it more worth my while. Without the pet fee I’m not inclined to accept the booking because of the increased cleaning cost. I had rotator cuff surgery recently and still am not allowed to do most of the cleaning yet.

1 Like

The question is if you allow pets in your listing? Does it state that?

If you don’t allow pets by default, then nothing to worry about.

If you would like this reservation, then as others have suggested just update house rules now. I don’t know that I would want to add this in my rules though if only making an exception. It will only encourage others to want to bring pets and you don’t really want them there.

If you do not normally allow pets, then do not put that pricing in your rules. Just talk with the guest and settle on a price.

3 Likes

You can always send a special offer to account for what you would charge. No need to adjust rules since you are only making an exception anyway.

Just be sure that when you adjust the rate in a special offer that you account for all associated taxes, etc. Look over it carefully before hitting enter.

Yes, I don’t allow pets usually but I do say in the listing description that I sometimes make exceptions. That’s why I hesitated about putting a pet fee in the house rules—I really don’t want to encourage them.

It’s okay to negotiate with the customer and tell them you will be making an exception. Nothing wrong with that.

Double check your special offer before you send it off though. Make sure it includes total cleaning, and Everything. Calculate it first. Just make sure you are 100% satisfied before you click on that send button.

2 Likes

Does your listing still say you don’t accept pets or have you already changed it? If you haven’t changed it yet then this is easy, just tell them what the pet fee is and they can accept or not.

Make sure you add the pet fee to your rules/listing before you change it to “pets allowed”.

No the listing says no pets. But in the”other things to note“, I have that we sometimes allow exceptions.

I don’t think anyone reading that would assume they can bring their pet with no pet fee. I would just decide on a fee that would make it worth your while, and let them know how much it is. It is just an inquiry so they can choose whether to accept it or find somewhere else to stay.

1 Like

Just say NO PETS, NO EXCEPTIONS. Problem solved.

3 Likes

I agree! I haven’t read the rest of the thread and will do so now…

This is an option but not the best one. The guest will end up paying additional Airbnb service fees and lodging taxes on the pet fee this way and you won’t get the entire thing either. Charge it separately, either through the Resolution Center or have them pay you direct.

4 Likes

Once you put in the pet fees on the house rules remove mention of that you sometimes make exceptions.

Otherwise add the words, with a pet fee where it says exceptions. Then you can decide for each guest how much you want to charge them. Maybe based on your schedule or the type of pet and it’s likelihood to shed or make a mess or how you feel that day.

2 Likes

I do on one of my three listings. This one, and another one, I do allow pets sometimes as an exception. After all, I’m a pet owner. I do understand people traveling with their dog.

Both the houses where I allow them have a history of pets living there in the past. Because of this, I don’t mind the occasional pet guest but it’s not something I want happening all the time due to the increased cleaning and the increased possibility of damage to the furnishings or house.

I disagree as I would think there is no pet fee because it is not stated that there is amongst all the other discussion around pets that are not allowed by only sometimes made exceptions for.

If it’s just an inquiry, it’s not too late to add a pet fee to your house rules. If this guest books, they will have to follow whatever rules you have when they actually book, it doesn’t matter what it says when they inquire.
You can even change the price of the nights inquired about if you want. Sometimes that’s a good way to deter someone from booking.

1 Like

Thank you! That’s very clear. Yes, it was just an inquiry, so I had added in the pet fee in the house rules. It’s reassuring to know I didn’t do anything against the rules. Whew!

4 Likes

It’s not too late and right now the answer would be no so don’t worry about it.

Unless they crate the dog or are there 24/7 dogs are going to get on the furniture whether “allowed” or not. And if they allow them to get on furniture at home the dog isn’t going to understand that it’s not allowed elsewhere.

Make the fee high enough to be worthwhile.

1 Like