People Stealing Stuff?

@RebeccaF Perfect! Since that couple this summer, I now have cute little framed 4x6 signs on each of the upstairs doors (my room, their room, and my private bath)! Live and learn!

1 Like

If the sign had said ā€œHostā€™s private bathroom, video monitoredā€ I wonder if they still would have used it? :imp:

3 Likes

@KKC Iā€™ve often thought about placing my Nest cam in my bedroom and bathroom to see just how many ppl entered when I wasnā€™t home. A sign can sometimes be more of an invitation than NO sign!!

1 Like

I have had someone (not an Airbnb guest) walk into my private bedroom suite naked, looking for a towel as I think I had forgotten to replace it after the last guest. I had a camera facing the door for safety and security since I had started hosting in the home I live inā€¦
I have since added a high tech lock on my bedroom door that has a fingerprint reader as well as a code pad. No issues sinceā€¦

2 Likes

Yes, thatā€™s a possibility.

More ā€œkeeperā€ footage :crazy_face:

Guess they can send a bitcoin request not to release video lolā€¦ I just got 2 emails yesterday to pay $2,000 USD via bitcoin or they are releasing videos to all my contacts they caught on my laptop camera of me masturbating. Since I have a Forever stamp covering my laptop computer camera, I donā€™t think so LOLā€¦

1 Like

Actually ā€œKeeperā€ is one of my dogs and she was not in the videoā€¦also, canā€™t be a ā€œkeeperā€ because it disappeared with the camera company (Izon) which is a bummer because I had more than a dozen of those things at all my properties. Now they are just visual deterrents because they donā€™t work. Canā€™t even change the settings so a few sit there unplugged to deter would be no-gooders.

:wink::crazy_face:

So thatā€™s not a denial of the alleged behaviour!

Lol

RR

4 Likes

ā€œForever stampsā€ are part of the US governmentā€™s surveillance and data collection program. They have hidden nano cameras and microphones embedded in them.

1 Like

Your tin foil hat is showing!

Lol

RR

1 Like

One of our first bookings got us for ALL the dishwashing and washer tabs as well as all the extra toilet paper. We learned that some folks are just (insert colorful descriptive of choice) and now limit the supplies we leave out as well as a little blurb in our welcome letter that explains that the supplies provided are for use in and during their stay. We didnā€™t address it in their public review, but I did make mention of it in our private conversations.

I hope the next thread is: Things I never thought I have to say fully adult people.

3 Likes

Fantastic idea! Thank you because I donā€™t know if Iā€™d have ever thought of it. Iā€™ll have these in by the time our next set of guests arrives.

Oh you must start this thread! It has potential hilarity galore :smile:

3 Likes

Nothing that I know of, and I have a pretty keen eye for when things are missing. But I did have a guest take all of the back up TP that we had left out (8 rolls total), lol. Coincidentally they also gave us 4/5 on value - I guess they were trying to get their moneyā€™s worth :rofl:

3 Likes

Just now after nothing nothing nothing (9 months) broken or stolen we have got a broken wine glass and part of the faucet handle (vintage) is missing plus 3 white washcloths ),
I also just bought 4 new knives, which are replacements for at least 2
and now I canā€™t remember if my last guests got a bath mat or if I only had 3ā€¦ well<><>

1 Like

Iā€™ve hosted maybe 200-250 groups and havenā€™t noticed anything stolen or missing, except a few guests who have taken all the coffee/tea. I learned quickly not to put out more than what they might use during their stay.

I recently hosted a couple who are also hosts themselves. I assume they took the 8oz Almond milk, the 2 cans of La Croix and the 2 Keurig pods because none of those items were in the trash. It doesnā€™t really bother me since taking it is exactly the same as if they used it. But stillā€¦

We talk about how the people who get the lowest price seem to be more prone to this. I swear it also seems like ā€œolderā€ people do this more, at least her at my rental. This was a case where itā€™s been a little slow so I lowered my price 10% for that single night. I usually donā€™t leave as much out on the lower price nights (like no LaCroix and instant coffee instead of Keurig) but since they are fellow hosts I wanted to make a good impression. LOL.

4 Likes

One of my houses is close to our hospital. A lot of doctors are booked in. Went in to do the turnover to find every food item - from condiments to instant oatmeal was taken, plus all the bathroom supplies. When emptying the bedroom bins, I saw his contractā€¦$2000 a day and he needs to take my suppliesā€¦
AND - the stay was paid for by the hospital!

3 Likes

Thatā€™ll teach you! :laughing: I know opinion is divided on hosting fellow hosts but having been burned a couple of times by newbie hosts, I decided they donā€™t deserve anything better than I give my regular guests. (But yeahā€¦ I do probably ensure they get the best towels, agghh!)

3 Likes