People Stealing Stuff?

Ugghh :frowning_face: Reminded of that quote “Those with the least give more” (Aka, rich people are often very stingy).
Not just a truism, btw, but backed up by evidence.

1 Like

I’ve had millennial and babyboomer guests both clean me out, but what they have in common is that they booked at my lowest rate! It is the guests at this price point who seem to use go through every towel and bathrobe in a one-night stay.

1 Like

That’s why I have varying amenity levels. Two can play that game, lol.

6 Likes

We play the same game and so far we’ve rarely been marked down on value, across all platforms.

Other than the basics (tea, coffee etc) standard bookings get a 2L bottle of water and a friendly welcome. As the nightly rate increases, so does the contents of the fridge :slight_smile:

JF

4 Likes

I have thought of offering more amenities to higher paying guests but have not implemented the idea yet.

With that in mind, very consistently, when I get marked down on value, it’s from guests who payed my low rate rather than my high rate. By that logic, I wondered if I should offer more amenities to the low rate payers, but thought better of it. Something tells me the low rate payers still wouldn’t be impressed.

2 Likes

Listen to that little voice!

2 Likes

They would not!

Last winter, my nitpickiest review came from a couple who booked a one-night stay at rock-bottom (1/3 of what I charge in summer).

I do offer cheaper wine (Chuck) and snacks to the bargain hunters, but I don’t withhold entirely because I worry they’ll read the old reviews and say, “where is my wine/robes/extra towels!”

My favorite guests write, “there were lots of extra surprised” in the review without specifying what.

1 Like

My feeling is based on a very small sample size because 98% of my guests are perfect. However, the mark down on value or location seems like they almost all happened when my price was lower. Finding those stars is too much work so I’m not sure. My last 4 star overall was in July. The one before that was the previous July. I’m more likely to notice when all the amenities are gone or used than a 4 star on some category.

Some of the things are easy to remove or replace and no one will know any different. I don’t advertise a Keurig so it’s easy to remove. The razor, toothbrush, bandaids, aloe vera etc in the bathroom go into a bucket to be replaced later. Instead of Bath and Body Works they get suave and the older towels, sheets and blankets. The area rug gets rolled up and put away. Everything is still very nice but now I don’t have to feel cross about coffee getting spilled on the rug or the new blanket getting a pull. It’s not just a mind game with them, it’s one for me. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not sure if this has ever happened, but if you had already made up the room with the newer/higher-quality sheets, would you swap them out?

I don’t, but would hopefully make it up elsewhere w that guest. Maybe not top off on everything else. Or take away some extras or put out older and/or less expensive k cups.

UPDATE I lost a brand new king size blanket this week, when I was gone and the housekeeper did the turnovers, 3 guests since I last saw the blanket. I had to check my amazon account to be sure I bought two because I was really bewildered. I bought them on August 20th and it had not even been on the bed yet it was on the closet shelf/ Poof, gone.

Grrr

RR

1 Like

Weird, last guest left me two blankets, though they were twin sized. I don’t have twin beds, so I’m bewildered.

3 Likes

No I wouldn’t. Too much work on that one.

3 Likes