Not leaving the house until lunchtime!

So, a lot of differences in words I’ve been able to figure out, but is there any background as to why this is a jumper? Slang just cracks me up!

Haha yes, I just meant it’s strange to me that the brits call sweaters jumpers. Or is it woolie? Or both?

1 Like

Is it made of wool? That might be your clue. :wink:

See, I call long underwear “woolies” and yes they are made of wool.

A lot of people use the word ‘jersey’ because of the traditional jumpers knitted on the island of the same name.

Another big difference that still cracks me up (that’s an American phrase!) is that people in the US refer to ‘going to the bathroom’.

For instance ‘I took my dog outside to go to the bathroom’. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We don’t want to be indelicate and say take a piss :wink:

2 Likes

When you put it like that it’s actually quite funny!

2 Likes

Actually, what he said was ‘I took that dog outside to go to the bathroom and then the f***** took a s*** on my carpet!’

So he was being ‘polite’ about ‘bathroom’ but not the rest of it!

5 Likes

But to Brits, “taking the piss” has nothing to do with the loo.

5 Likes

Fanny is the WORST!! I cringe at fanny-pack!! Bum bag people!!

2 Likes

All Brit teachers who go to teach at American/international schools have that glorious first day when they say to the class “Get your pencils and rubbers out, children”. I swear the staff room wait for this to happen!

To this day I can’t call them anything but erasers without blushing …

4 Likes

Yes! Here you go: http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-jum1.htm

So it seems that the origin is the same, and like many of our clothing words comes from the French (jupe) and before that Arabic.

Ain’t language fscinating?!

1 Like

I want to go to there!!! Would you pm me your listing?

It’s a budget place, not very fancy actually.

1 Like

It’s adorable, and the water access with canoe makes it spectacular - at least in my opinion!! I’m saving it to my wish-list, though my family is 5 - maybe when my kids are grown… ; )

1 Like

Actually a lot of my guests enjoy my studio next door that quite a few have decide to spend the day indoors instead of going out. They compliment the space as being really comfy so they just rest and relax and we are fine with that.

Okay because there’s never enough discussion about differences in culture, I though I would include this compilation of tweets on what it means to be British. What do you think??

On the subject of people staying in the house until lunchtime, I have two things to offer: a) why they do it, and b) “systems thinking” as a way to address this and many other guest impacts. First, it seems clear to me that, for some people, the best thing about being on vacation is the luxury of sleeping in and taking their time leaving the house. That makes a lot of sense for those who ordinarily get up very early to get the kids off to school and/or get to work, after being up late into the night taking care of the family or commuting from work. Folks are used to hotels, where it has no impact on anyone if they sleep in, so they’re not used to thinking about it. Of course, in an Airbnb setting, it has an impact on the lifestyle of whomever is hosting them. Some traditional B&B’s solve it by limiting breakfast hours and keeping the kitchen closed to guests. That way, people get up and moving, and are more likely to get out & about soon after breakfast. That’s an example of “systems thinking.” How can you set up your systems to encourage the activities/behaviors that work in your home and discourage those that don’t, without having to be interventionist or micromanage people’s visit? I try to do that in every possible way in my home. For example, when late night activity/noise at the house was problematic, I learned that closing the kitchen at 10 pm effectively shuts the whole house down at that time. I guess nobody wants to hang out late, socializing, unless there’s access to snacks & drinks. Maybe your answer is to close the kitchen or breakfast at 10 am? Main point: think about it systemically. Oh, and I knew you were half joking/venting, but if there are ways to insulate ourself from the more draining impacts of hosting, it can help us avoid burnout. :slight_smile: Amy

5 Likes

LOL That’s a definite yes!

1 Like

That’s a very thorough and thoughtful post AmyB. I wish I’d read it four years ago! It took me a long time to resign myself to the fact that, every now and again, guests will hang about the house. It still irritates me but does not drive me demented anymore! I just get on and do what I have to do. I’ve had guests who have been travelling for weeks and are simply very very tired. My place has been the first time they’ve been allowed to catch breath and just chill. I can’t be annoyed with them for that. The guests that stay in all the time because they are frightened of a bit of wind and rain are the ones where I have the least patience: no, you can’t have the heating on full-blast all day and sit in your shorts and t-shirt. Put a bloody jumper on, straighten your back and go outside for some fresh air! (thought I’d add to the language discussion as well)

3 Likes