Not leaving the house until lunchtime!

Yes, yes - we’ve perhaps been stupid by not making a house rule regarding this issue but most of the time it doesn’t feel necessary. We rent 2 spare room in our house in Cornwall, UK. For those of you who don’t know, Cornwall is famous for its natural beauty. People come here for the beaches, surfing, long hikes, good food etc. So when, especially on a day like today when its gloriously sunny, your guests are still in the house (doing nothing in particular) at noon, it drives me crazy. I know I should chill out - I’m just venting. :nerd_face:

Just to be clear - I’m not talking about check out time. These guys are on day 4 of a 6 night stay. The earliest they’ve been out of the house is 12:30pm. They came all the way from Germany to sit around the house!

2 Likes

Some people’s definition of vacation is different than others I suppose. :confused:

3 Likes

Yes, I guess you’re right. I know I’m being unreasonable. :smiling_imp: Anyhow, they’ve gone to the beach now. I tried to give them a quick lesson about rip currents but now I’m worried that they didn’t quite understand me. Maybe I need to concern myself with my own life a little more today! Ha!

1 Like

Haha, hey, we all get annoyed by guests time to time. Vent away! I live in a really old country house in the US and its rooms are organized in such a strange way that people have to walk through my office to reach the bathroom.

Normally, not a big deal, but then I get the lurkers that are interested in whatever I’m doing at my computer and will stand and stare and ask questions. Really? Who does that?

2 Likes

As far as I’m concerned, guest just can’t win with me. If they stay in the rental all day, I’m concerned that they are not out and about enjoying the area and if they are out all the time I worry that they don’t like the apartment :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I am experiencing exactly what you are. We have the same outdoor amenities where I live as you do, and I can’t figure out why people aren’t up and out at the crack of dawn and soaking it all in. Instead they stay in the suite watching Netflix or sleeping in until noon. I have a few ideas up my sleeve on how to get them out and stay out, I will let you know if I was successful. I do think part of the issue is time change. What is noon our time might be 9am their time. Anyway…it’s frustrating whatever the reasons. Having to tiptoe around past what I think is acceptable in the morning, is silly and I don’t like it.

On the subject of rip currents, pictures speak a thousand words. Try putting a few out for guests so they can “see” what to look for.

3 Likes

Pasties…

1 Like

Well, yes… Pasties of course. But a pasty always tastes better after a swim. :grinning:

1 Like

If the guests are not staring over your shoulder (that’s rude and deserves to be responded to) who cares what they’re are doing in their days/nights. You aren’t their Mum. They’re old enough to decide what they want to do. Maybe someone isn’t feeling well (too many Cornish pasties can do that to a person). Maybe they’ve already quick-marched their way across the moors and crags, and are resting up to go back home…

1 Like

Thank you for the pictures, it is good to know. I am 50 years old and should know about rip current.
Geddy3, why do you host if people bother you?
They cannot be on your wish schedule. Some guests can be very sensitive and feel your mood if they are in the same house.
I am on the guest’s side, I travel a lot and I do what I want to do on my vacation.

1 Like

Hey relax Marina. I thought I’d made it clear that my post wasn’t 100% serious. I love hosting people. Been doing it for almost 3 years and have 122 five star reviews. So we’re doing something right. Apologies if I’ve misread the tone of this forum. I’m relatively new.

6 Likes

Geddy3 :slight_smile:
English is not my first language :slight_smile: I have misread your tone :slight_smile: not you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:blush: No problem. I guess it was just one of those rare moments of guest fatigue. Usually we love to have people around but once in a while, maybe you feel a little grumpy about something, or you just want to listen to your old punk records really loud!! It was a fleeting moment. I’m ok again now. Ha!

2 Likes

My guests were supposed to check out at 11 am. Right now is 12:30 pm, they are still walking in my forest. I am ok, I do not have new guests coming. On our trips people are always nice to us and I just pay back to my guests.

2 Likes

In the US, this word has a different meaning!!! :smile:

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure that it’s used in the same context in the UK but perhaps @Paul_Janaway has led a sheltered life :wink:

1 Like

I’m in Hawaii and am pretty shocked at the way some guests sleep the day away. They are missing the best snorkeling if they aren’t out there by 7:30-8:00. I have a private suite and don’t care when they come or go but I always tell them about the early snorkeling tip, partly so I can get them moving earlier!

3 Likes

I plug how gorgeous the beach is at sunrise but it never works :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lol. Our side of the island doesn’t get sunrise! The east side does! We get sunsets and they don’t. Go figure. It’s mainly because the sun has to rise over the top of a 14,000 foot mountain and by that time it’s already pretty high in the sky.

1 Like