Not leaving the house until lunchtime!

I can get at a sunrise and get into an adventure, but my husband will get up at 11 am. Everyone is different!

2 Likes

Hereā€™s my place at sunriseā€¦ A few sun kissed clouds but not much else. :heart_eyes:>

2 Likes

I travel a lot, and i like my hotels:) One hotel in SF was so gorgeous that i spend there 24 hours without going to see the city. I am a slow traveler. I like long mornings, and sometimes i dont leave hotel until noon. But then i can be gone all day.
It also depends how long people travel. When i travel 2 weeks in a row i am not in a rush anymore to see everything. I am a bit tired by the end of the first week, everyhting i saw becomes a bit dull, and i feel overwhelmed. This is when i know its time to relax and take it easy.
I know some hosts feel annoyed when guests are in a house a lot for the reason that they feel like they can not live their everyday life the way they usually do. I am used to having people here all the time by now and i dont really change my behavior at all when guests are here. After all its my house and they know it.

One thing i dont understand what you mentioned to have rules about it. What rules did you mean exactly?

2 Likes

I recommend the drive between Hilo and Kona at sunrise. I had to get up at 5 am to get on my boat in Kona for the dolphin swim and that put me here (on Saddle Road betweeen Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa) at sunrise.

3 Likes

Sunrise on the beach courtesy of my other half.

4 Likes

@Geddy3, I know how you feel! It is so odd with guests just ā€˜lurkingā€™ about.

We once had a group from China. The boy & girlfriend went off every day, but the other guy just sat around his room. Then heā€™d get up, take the metro all the way into Chinatown, get something to eat, and come back. We laughed at that. Most of the Chinese have left the DC Chinatown long ago. Now itā€™s just American chain restaurants with Chinese writing on their signs. All there is to see in DC!!! And all he wanted was to take the train to eat - when we have fine Chinese food a mile away - he could have taken Uber.

Donā€™t we learn so much about different people and their attitudes towards travel!! Many people show up here having no idea what to do besides ā€œWhite Houseā€. Some come armed with their own maps and having already purchased their metro cards. They drag the jet-lagged family off in the morning and they are out until the evening.

I just looked it up. Lol

1 Like

@Geddy3, Iā€™m afraid my husband and I are like your irritating guests ā€¦ we go to Cape Town once or twice a year, and there is a ā€œnoonday gunā€ - a cannon that is fired at exactly 12 every day and can be heard all over the city. In spite of our best intentions we hardly ever manage to get out of the apartment we rent before we hear it. Late rising, enjoying a leisurely breakfast, that second cup of coffee, looking at maps and planning (whatā€™s left of!) our day seems to take this long ā€¦

I do think, though that weā€™d probably make more of an effort if we were in a shared home rather than a separate flat. I think you must be making your guests too comfortable!

2 Likes

If Iā€™m home and notice guests sleeping late, I kinda freak out also, Iā€™m likeā€¦OMGOSHā€¦get out on the lake or the river, itā€™s 6:22 am already lmao. Seriously though, my most favorite guests are the ones that understand that they need to get out there early. Whatā€™s the sense of coming up here to the Adirondacks if you are going to stay in bed till 930?
And if I was taking the kind of vacation where I wanted to sleep late, I certainly would not do it in a private room type of ABB, I would do it in a whole house rental.

1 Like

First picture: The midnight sun, vieuw from our lower garden. The other picture: The vieuw in the other direction at midday. Still there are Airbnb-guest who never walk the 20 meters down to the garden. And quite a few guest just sit inside, and donā€™t use the canoe, fire pan, fishing rod and all the other stuff they could use as our Airbnb-guests.

6 Likes

I have friends who are Brits. My favorite us to uk word confusions are pants and suspenders :wink:

As a Brit in the USA I have to respectfully disagree. The main confusion is FANNY :wink:

8 Likes

And that is why Mansfield Park by Jane Austen always makes me uncomfortableā€¦

3 Likes

My favorite is jumpers.

1 Like

ā€˜Fanny packsā€™, ā€˜I fell on my fannyā€™ and ā€˜I slapped her on the fannyā€™ ---- it took a lot of getting used to!

My first job here was selling used cars which was fraught with ā€˜bonnetā€™, ā€˜bootā€™ and ā€˜petrolā€™ peril :slight_smile:

The worst thing I think I ever said here was ā€˜I could murder an Indianā€™. All that means is ā€˜Iā€™d love a curryā€™ but it was sadly misinterpreted!

2 Likes

I drive a mini and insist on calling it a boot. It is way too small to be a proper trunk; never seen a trunk that would fit. And donā€™t you think a mini has a boot?
And, the ā€œmurder an Indianā€ would make most people think twice. [made me giggle]

1 Like

Yes jumpers! I use to wear these as a kid (pic showing example). Canā€™t quite wrap my head around them being sweaters.

1 Like

A jumper is otherwise known as a ā€˜woolieā€™. :slight_smile:

Yes, the American jumper thing confused me a lot at first! So did vests, suspenders and panties.

1 Like

What I see in the pic is an American jumper. This is a sweater:

1 Like

Thatā€™s a JUMPER :slight_smile:
Even after 22 years in the States Iā€™m still confused!

3 Likes