No Unregistered Guests allowed?

How many of you hosts have the rule of no unregistered guests allowed in your property at anytime regardless if they are spending the night? I have the rule and it only in place to prevent unauthorized parties or gatherings.

I have that rule and have probably allowed two overnight family members in 7 years. However, if we get to know people and are aware that they have family in town (i.e. children who live with their ex, grandchildren) we sometimes extend them this option. Our rentals are right in our home and we enjoy sharing our yard and providing a front porch to view local parades My husband is a magician. Once our guests local connections see him doing a few tricks he often gets local bookings from them.

4 Likes

I added it after the Nashville lady brought home the boyfriend she had come to visit, without booking for 2 (same price). I don’t allow smoking on the property, so he was frequently smoking on the sidewalk across the street. He reeked of cigs so badly that I had to wash even the blackout drapes after they were here 5 nights.

It was her first Air stay, and I have 3 rooms that share a bath. She thought that she would be getting fresh towels every day! In 2 years, sh was the only one who ever used my white towels to remove makeup. Better suited for Super 8.

She was the reason I have a no visitors rule. I have allowed daytime family visits when guests have local family and it’s only 1 or 2 people. The other reason is that I don’t want younger guests bringing home someone at bar closing time. The fewer locals that know about the house’s security system the better.

4 Likes

My listing states that guests are welcome to have a maximum of four guests during daylight hours only.

Many guests are visiting family here and want to show their relatives where they are staying. In some instances, they are meeting friends or family here to go out to dinner and want to have a cocktail with them in the rental before heading out.

1 Like

Its already part of Airbnb ToS. It isn’t really necessary to add that as a rule because then there’s too many rules. Hving an additional price per night for each additional guest, even if $1, kind of makes it crystal clear that they need to be on the reservation. I always ask guests to cancel their reservation request and make a new one for the correct number of guests if they send one for one guest but mention other people. Unless they specifically mention that they’re coming alone, I ask them who is coming. Its also one of my booking questions.

2 Likes

And you think guests read Airbnb’s TOS? That’s funny.

1 Like

Newsflash, they do not read the rules either.

I would not make a new rule because something happened once.

Rr

Why do you guys talk to each other like this? You both seem condescending and rude for seemingly no reason.

1 Like

Welcome back @Mexican, its been awhile. Seems like you are in a mood tonight. Nobody is being condescending or rude.

RR

2 Likes

@Mexican Condescending and rude? Are you one of those people who doesn’t understand sarcasm and friendly banter?

4 Likes

I have the rule in place. I once had a potential guest who wanted to book for one night. I suspected something wasn’t quite right, so I called her and she told me the house was perfect for “her purpose”. I asked what the purpose was and she told me it was a bridal shower with 17 family members. I explained that we have a limit of 6 guests and she told me they wouldn’t be spending the night, so they didn’t count as a guest.

I referred her to our local hotels with conference and meeting rooms and added the rule of no one on the property who is not a registered guest. If we have someone visiting local family I will offer to allow them to visit. If they are there for a wedding I reiterate the rule - don’t congregate at my home.

My rules state $300/night, per extra guest. I’ve never had to try it, but hope this tells the guest that I’m very serious about my limit.

As an Airbnb guest, I always book a house large enough to cover my local relatives and list them as guests who won’t be staying, but will be visiting.

1 Like

Good point about the security system!

I added this rule after a man booked my apartment then informed me that her daughter and a bunch of his grandkids would be hanging out there while the son-in-law worked from home (during the pandemic). I wanted to have a leg to stand on with CS in the future. I don’t enforce it if someone is just bringing a couple of friends or family members to see the place or hang out for a short time - that gets me more local bookings, which is what the game is all about at this point.

1 Like

The booking contract details the party in an enumerated list that I close with (boldfaced and underscored all caps) “AND NO OTHER OVERNIGHT GUESTS”.

It’s funny how many extra guest/pet fees and contract revisions result from that little line in the contract.

Like, they have no problem reserving it as a party of 4 humans. But something about signing their name to a contract seems to jiggle their memory as to the other 2 people and 2 dogs that are also coming. Funny.

1 Like

I have this rule only in my house where I live. Even for longer term guests. In a past I didn’t mind but it created lots of nuisance for us with noise and other guests complained .
In separate house I don’t know how to control it. I just warn them about parties and noise but other than that I just don’t know how to not let people bring others . Most times I have longer terms guests for couple months or more. They mostly guys who are here for work. On weekends their wife’s are coming or girlfriends. I do allow children there and sometimes i see presence of kids like toys and forgotten baby bottles.

Ditto here. I added the following verbiage to my my house rules after a guest had 8 additional people on premises for an unauthorized photo shoot.

We always make things part of House Rules that we wish to specifically enforce for our property - regardless of Air T&Cs. This way, they are OUR RULES, and the guest has agreed to them is implicit in their booking.

We then have the specific right to leverage them if needed or desired, without any potential argument or discussion with some bonehead Air CS Agent. Our property. Our Rules.

3 Likes

I didn’t use to have the rule, it wasn’t really necessary. So many of my guests come to see their college students and of course they want to have them over for dinner and such. I don’t mind that kind of gathering.

However, I recently added it because of Covid (and say that it’s why). I don’t want anyone other than the guests in the home right now because it just creates more risk.

2 Likes

Do you host in your home?

RR

It’s a 3-family home. Separate apartments but shared hallways, stairwells, yard and laundry area. So, yes, kind of. Guests don’t come into my separate apartment but I don’t want more people than necessary in my common areas.

1 Like