No Unregistered Guests allowed?

This is an old thread and I am sure it happens all the time…so looking for any advice as we just have this happening…guest booked 2bedroom cottage for a couple. We have a no unregistered guest policy and offer 1 free off road private secure parking space - with an option for a second is agreed in advance. Current guest has now invited his son and maybe girlfriend to stay over night and have parked second car blocking our way out of the drive. Any advice, as it feels like however we handle this will result in confrontation…? Yet the guest has kicked the backside out of the agreement.

How about something like this (edit appropriately):

Good morning, XXXXXX!

I’ve noticed that you have – I assume it is two? – additional unregistered guests? Please confirm the number as I will be updating your reservation today (note: additional guest fee applies and you’ll need to accept my alteration request that you’ll see on the platform).

Please remember that we do offer a second parking space when agreed in advance but regardless cannot block our way out of the drive as that car is now doing (Yikes!). Can you please ask your guest to move that car so as not to block our driveway?

I so hope you are enjoying your stay. Have you found everything as you expected? Any questions?

1 Like

Just give the guest a call and say it looks like the guest must have mistakenly booked for two people as they have four people staying. Say if they want to have their son and partner stay they need to amend the booking to reflect the numbers staying.

Remind them the listing only allows for one car to be parked but they have parked a second car which is blocking the drive and ask them to move it and park it on the road.

Follow this up on Airbnb so there is written confirmation of the conversation.

1 Like

How do you know he invited his son? He must have told you that or as far as you would know there are just some extra people, right? That was the moment to tell him “Oh, okay, well you booked for 2, so I’ll adjust the booking and send you the extra guest fee to pay.” (I’m assuming you charge extra for more than 2, otherwise you wouldn’t be asking here)

Whenever you don’t say something right away when a guest is breaking rules or makes assumptions that something is okay, it makes it harder to address it after the fact.

Thank you all for the inputs and so promptly - it helps have a sounding board.

We do indeed seek to nip items in the bud and address items upfront - our welcome note is pretty extensive and covers these items - it seems that few ever bother reading the House Rules etc - I have been in business (global corporations dealing with more than I care to remember ‘members of the public’ long enough to know that one needs to be explicit and very precise - yet every so often one comes across a person who exhibits the attitude that rules are for others and they are above such trivia in life. The challenge I suggest for many of us is that we have a stranger in our home or part thereof and that does create an additional layer of tension (be it real our perceived) in challenging a person who has had limited prior interaction with - how will they react when reminded that there are hard boundaries on transactions like ours as hosts.

To repeat huge thanks for wisdom and advice so quickly - great to know that there is a support network out there.
Mike

1 Like