New Age Discrimination Policy to shut down "Party Houses"

Wondering if anyone knows about this new policy rolled out back in the summer to shut down “party houses?” We just found out about it this week. If I understand it correctly, anyone under the age of 25 must have at least 3 positive reviews and no more than 3 negative reviews in order to book an “entire house” listing. I am all about shutting down the party house abuse of Airbnb host homes. It is unfair to the neighbors, the neighborhood, and if the property is leased it is unfair to the owner of the property. This is the reason many cities and municipalities are beginning to limit or even ban Airbnb. I don’t think this policy, as it stands, is the correct way to get these parties under control. First of all, it penalizes those of us who have “entire house” listings and assumes we don’t have the ability to police these situations ourselves. (obviously, some don’t or this wouldn’t be a problem, but for many of us it is not a problem at all.) Secondly, it penalizes the vast majority of those under 25 who would like to travel through Airbnb but do not want to book a shared space listing. Many of our young guests like to start out with an entire house listing until they get more comfortable with the idea of home sharing. Finally, it assumes that those under 25 who don’t have any history, or a positive history with Airbnb are the problem. I disagree. As a host with an entire home listing (and one review shy of 600,) we have NEVER had anything close to a house party…and we are open to hosting events! Here’s why it’s not a problem for us: We live on sight. In fact, our guesthouse is literally 15’ from our main home so we are always aware of what’s going on regarding our listing. The chance of an unauthorized house party taking place in our listing is exactly ZERO%. From what I can tell, these house parties occur in homes listed by absentee/investment hosts, and therein lies the problem. Out of sight, out of mind - out of control. This new policy should have more to do with the host living on sight or not - not the age of those booking. This will just encourage shady third-party bookings.

1 Like

correct me if im wrong. but isnt it only forbidden if the potential guest is a local? If you are a german coming to America there will be no problems.

1 Like

@Hampton, I doubt this will be a common problem for you missing bookings. Here’s a list of the criteria that have been officially and unofficially published:

• Guest is under 25-years-old
  • Guest has few reviews (I had not seen the “at least 3 positive and at most 3 negative”)
  • Guest is local (I have not seen specific details of what is considered local)
  • Listing is whole-place
  • Booking is short-notice (I have not seen specific details of how far in advance the booking is)
  • Length of stay is 1 or 2 days

It was reported in 2019 that Airbnb was using social media to do personality profiling of both hosts and guests. If that data is also being factored in, then you should feel VERY relieved when a booking is blocked for a party risk.

2 Likes

Yes - that is correct and I forgot to mention that. Of course, there is no real criteria to determine what is “local.” I would be curious to know how they define that.

It already has caused us to miss two bookings.

How did they work exactly? Were they inquiries to start with, or IB or booking request? Was there a booking and then Air stepped-in and cancelled? At any time did you have the direct contact info for the guest - assuming that you would even consider going direct after Air cancelled them?

No they’re not, they’re long overdue, and to be frank, if you as a host can’t comply then I’m not shedding tears for you.

The consultation documents have been in the public domain for mibbe eighteen months, or two years. If, as a new host, you didn’t do your research then…

JF

5 Likes

I would also add as a new member within the last few hours I think it’s fair to say the response to my 2 posts feel a little harsh given I had no idea about not asking the same question on different threads.

It’s late for me due to time zones, so I’ll be brief.

Read the consultation docs for STR regulation in Scotland. Easy to find with either a quick 'net search or forum search here.

Once you have done that, present your argument that they are severe, and how you feel it could have been done differently.

From my perspective, I think it’s way overdue and will get rid of a lot of “under the radar and I don’t care” hosts.

Are you one of those?

JF

Damn, I stayed up for six minutes while you were responding.

Nope. Just someone who in the past has hosted in Scotland, but now hosts elsewhere.

And someone who, personally, is glad that the Scottish Executive is finally taking action to regulate what, at least in Glasgow & Edinburgh, is like the wild fecking west in respect of STR.

Going by your initial forum post, you feel differently. Fine.

As a new host you will learn a lot from here, if you stick around that is, but do not expect sycophantic responses, or fluffy “oh dear, is that so” responses. To quote @RiverRock, you need a thick skin here, but if you can take the best and leave the rest, you’ll learn something new every day.

In other words, don’t take it personally.

Your choice.

JF

2 Likes

“unfair” is a very subjective term, give us some context and let’s see if we agree with you.

So? What’s wrong with being a fully legal licenced STR? A good majority of folks on here, in many different countries, take the time, spend the money, and get legal.

What makes you different?

Anyway, whatever you say, for me will have to wait.

Buenos noches amigos…

JF

2 Likes

:sleeping:

JF

This is an international forum with differing rules world wide.
I can tell you the rules where I am…
I haven’t responded because I cant help you.
You may be better searching for a local to you facebook group that is concerned about similar issues your area to get local opinions and help.

1 Like

Where were this guests from in relationship to your listing @

There are going to be a lot of disgruntled hosts in Scotland. The new legislation, if passed by the Scottish parliament, will come into force in April 2021.

At the moment, anyone can list any property, anywhere in Scotland, irrespective of the condition of the property and in many cases, with no regard to restrictive covenants etc.

That is all due to change.

Each local authority can set it’s own conditions for STR’s, but many of the core conditions with regards to safety will be in the legislation (I believe). Things like Gas Safety Certificates, EICR paperwork (for the electrics) and so on. None of it is particularly onerous, and on an annual basis not terribly expensive. I know, because we have to do it for our LTR’s in Glasgow.

There is nothing “unfair” about regularising STR’s, there is nothing “unfair” about making STR hosts pay the correct council taxes (and tax on the income) and there is nothing unfair about requiring their properties to be registered.

The consultations over the past eighteen months or so have included Airbnb in the process, along with many other stakeholders.

https://consult.gov.scot/housing-services-policy-unit/short-term-lets/

I believe the end result in Scotland may be similar to here in Andalucia, where the local government forced Airbnb to delist any property that wasn’t correctly registered as tourist accommodation.

As far as I’m aware, most of the legislation applies to “whole home” rentals, in home hosts have nothing much to worry about, I think!

JF

2 Likes

This group is frank, opionated, and honest. Folks who come here with hidden agendas or who badger others don’t last long.

Part of that bluntness is that the hosts here have seen the same questions over and over, which is why we urge new participants to spend a few hours searching and exploring through the posts here. Another part is that folks here get tired of folks coming here who are amazed that AirBnB is allowed to do this or that when if they had read the Terms of Service when they signed up they would know that they agreed to it, or folks who get blindsided by an action by Air that you were notified about, but didn’t bother reading the message or email. If you’re serious about having a short term rental(s) you should also be paying attention to what your local government is doing, because that’s what small businesses need to do to succeed.

So yes, we can be a bunch of curmudgeons. Yes, we can be sarcastic, and the regulars often tease each other.

If you spend some time here, you will see that it’s not really harsh, just folks who don’t gild the lilies of AirBnB myths.

8 Likes

We do not instant book, so these were inquiries. One of them was from a 24 year old who lives in Atlanta, about and hours drive from us. She is married with a baby and was wanting a weekend away with her husband. She had 8 reviews, 5 good and 3 not-so-good. From what i could tell, all three bad reviews came from the same host at the same time. (looks like a trip where she kept adding days that turns into one trip but requires three reviews)

I can’t remember one of the requests, but the most frustrating one lived in Atlanta, which is really hard to pinpoint a distance since Atlanta is such a massive area. Could be as close as 35 miles or up to 60+ miles from us…and a minimum one hour drive.

Hi @Lara32

What is it about the STR legislation in Scotland that you feel is particularly harsh?

And harsh in comparison to? London? Channel Islands.

In London there is a 90 day limit- what is it in Scotland

I’m in England so not familiar.

Are they banning STRs completely or just restricting to help protect the housing market in areas where there a massive shortages of rented accommodation?

2 Likes

Within 1 hour drive would makes sense to call Local??

1 Like