Needier guests in 2020?

This year has been tough rental-wise. I am grateful for the rentals coming up and those I’ve had.

Is anyone else having a record year for the number of requests for: early check-in and/or late checkout, discounts, Special services, additional guests, and more?

Both condos will become LTR after 11/1 so I’m just curious. One condo is rented for 12 months. The other is 1-3 month rentals to May 1st.

Do you think this special request trend will continue as long as there are few travelers and an abundance of rentals?

@Annet3176 I haven’t hosted my home-share since March due to COVID, so I haven’t experienced such things, but have these types of special requests come from new users?

I’m just wondering if it has more to do with more people wanting to get out from behind their own 4 walls so more new guests signing up, who aren’t clued in to being good, respectful guests or how an Airbnb differs from just being a cheaper alternative to a hotel, rather than it having anything to do with a # of rentals available/ fewer travelers equation.

4 Likes

I haven’t seen the “few traveler” thing with my rental but I haven’t been open in the same way so hard to say. It could also be that there is a flood of new to STR in homes rental that just don’t know the mindset of hosts yet.

I got a special request with my most recent booking. She IB’d but asked if she could get a special rate because she’s arriving late and leaving early. She also has a cat with her that she promised would remain crated, not that I believe it.

I just replied and said there was no special rate because it’s the same amount of work for me regardless of how many hours the guests spend in the room. In truth that’s my favorite kind of guest and I much prefer that to an arrive at 3pm stay until 11 the next morning guest. While we are being honest it would be super easy to sneak a cat in as long as it didn’t meow and if it was locked in the bathroom I wouldn’t hear that either. So I told her that what I would do is waive the pet fee and leave her a broom, dustpan and lint roller and if she would please clean up after herself I’d appreciate it. Since I’ve added a $15 cleaning fee with the upcoming availability and kept my price close to where it’s been I’m satisfied. If not for the cat she could probably get a very nice place in El Paso for half my rate.

It makes sense to me that it’s a renter’s market right now and so yes we may have needier or more demanding guests. We might have to lower prices or allow longer stays.

2 Likes

Yes, most certainly, the guests we have hosted since COVID have been needier. This in addition to last minute changes to their booking or unusual requests in advance. Our cleaning regime is now so intense that it takes us twice as long to turn over compared to last year. The most needy request we received in recent months was a guest, a very nice couple, who asked if we could exchange the fresh cut flowers we left in a vase for them after their first week of a two week stay. They asked very nicely if we can swap the flowers with fresh ones. They asked nicely and left an amazing review, but still, it was beyond needy to ask this in my view. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This sounds like a prime example of don’t leave anything extra in the suite because they will treat is as a promised amenity. Will you have to tell guests it’s just a “starter pack” of flowers? :crazy_face:

9 Likes

Yup, I think you are right. The irony being (or perhaps not) that they were booked on the cheapest rate we have ever charged. It was in the immediate aftermath of the lockdown so we drastically reduced our prices to get at least a few guests. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I noticed an increase in guests from NYC (I myself am a former New Yorker). So these guests have been younger (in their 20s) and have had the most requests ever, most needy and destructive. Por example, one couple called us because they were having difficulties with the dryer. I guess they were used to commercial size washers so they packed the washing machine and the clothes were still saturated. Then they placed that hot mess in the dryer. Since it was over loaded and clothes were saturated, the dryer was over heating and the auto shut off was kicking in. So that’s why the dryer wouldn’t turn on again. They also used the kayaks and broke one of the seats and lost a paddle.

Another couple called us because the grill wasn’t working so we drove down there to check the grill. Turns out they were not pressing the ignition button.

Another couple burned several of my pots and pans and some how managed to get spaguetti sauce on the ceiling. They also placed their body weight on the towel rack which caused it to fall off the wall.

All of them requested early check in as well. It’s been exhausting catering to these yuppies. The saving grace was that they were all very polite and sweet.

3 Likes

They need tutoring…

3 Likes

The difference in my post covid guests is that they are all younger, all living or studying in the UK. However they have been consistently lovely. I haven’t experienced guests being more needy or wanting higher discounts, apart from one.

Only had one inquiry recently asking for a 40 per cent discount ‘as many other hosts are offering it’ and she wanted to stay for a month.

I suggested she go with one of the ‘many other hosts’ offering this. But no - she wanted my place because ‘you offer so much more’ and ‘have great reviews’ I refused her kind offer.

Then three days later i have had someone book for the month, didn’t ask about the discount (I offer 5% as it doesn’t cost me any less to have a one month guest as they tend to be those who work and therefore are at home all the time and I include a weekly Covid clean.)

2 Likes

Absolutely, more early check in requests especially. Since our listings now have notice of a 24 hour buffer maybe the guests think “goody, goody, more time for me”?

2 Likes

Your age is showing :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: They’re not called yuppies anymore, that was the 80s/90s. Now they’re called hipsters.

4 Likes

Interesting I had a similar request and I denied it. I explained that for the extras I offered my price was competitive. She insisted on wanting me to match a room in a shared home price for my 750 sq ft entire home rental because it was for two guests. NOPE. NOPITiy NOPE NOPE

7 Likes

Likity, like like like.

4 Likes

Currently I only have STVR and We have just been lucky to have had the guests that we have had. We are having record Numbers for the better. I do get a lot of people that want to check in and out early and late but I don’t allow it and specifically let them know that the extra cleaning protocols for Covid don’t allow for accommodating their request.

2 Likes

My most recent request asked for late checkout and about the wifi speed. They would arrive late then stay most of the next day working online and then check out at 4 pm. Because I’m leaving 1 or more days between guests I could accomodate it. So I replied with the info within 30 minutes and said I’ll allow it. But he didn’t book in and 24 hours to think about it I decided I wasn’t interested so I blocked the dates. If he writes back and asks why it isn’t available I’ll decide then if I want to host him or not.

There may be needier guests but there’s at least one pickier host…me. Even at my higher priced rates I’m not sure it’s worth dealing with for one night’s income.

3 Likes

I think you are not alone. Plus one nighters drag in the same luggage and ding walls the same as 3 nighters.

1 Like

So the 1940’s term Hipster is being recycled now?

I guess so. Everything old is new again.

Oh honey. Hipster is so 2018 but still valid.
Man bun hair check, facial hair check, gig economy employed (so really hurting now) check.

If you watch “shameless” on showtime, a season or two ago they turned the locals bar in south side Chicago into a hipster bar.

I about fell out of my chair laughing—-I feel like I know those people except here they would live in a mobile home (I grew up in one so no judgement), drive a pickup (Dad has one no judgement), and tote a huntin’ rifle and drink Budweiser. My people!!!

Hey I embrace my past, it helped shape who I am.

4 Likes

I’ve not experienced the “few travelers” you mention. I’ve had more than I would have thought as I described here:

I have not hosted the “needy” types you mention. The Millennials and GenZ’s I’ve hosted, all have been VERY self sufficient, and required little attention.

I do get asked more often of late about WiFI speed and what I offer has been welcomed by the Tech Nomads.

I have had one inquiry try to negotiate a discount, and I quickly declined. In looking at that thread again, it definitely is the type of guest OP describes, and am grateful I declined their multiple attempts to book.

My listing states that flexible checkin is available (when possible). With the buffer day between guests, it is usually possible. I don’t have an issue with a guest who wants to checkin early or needs a little extra time to checkout.

Since it doesn’t impact me, I take the initiative to offer it, as affords another opportunity to create a positive impression on the guest. All I ask is that they give me an ETA and an ETD so that I can plan accordingly but the majority are within my posted 3pm checkin / 11am checkout in my house rules.

2 Likes