Need to blow off steam. Rude guest

Rude people like that are oblivious, don’t waste your time. Anyone with manners and common sense would be highly grateful for such an unique experience.

I think next year I’ll double my price and list vip parade access with photos of our view. I’m always too nice, but end up letting it make me hostile when I feel unappreciated. I’ve let it go, but won’t let it happen again.

You live and learn.

7 Likes

Shoot. Looks like my window of opportunity closed. LOL.

2 Likes

“Airbnb experience: Watch the Macy’s Day parade and enjoy a catered brunch for $150 / person”

Just an idea

2 Likes

Why not? Listing here that have prime viewing positions from terraces and balconies for the Semana Santa (Holy Week) processions ramp up their prices considerably for that week, and they go. Unfortunately we are close to several routes, but just not close enough :frowning:

JF

Can You do a “seasonal” experience?

I was thinking of doing a dinner for around that price. But I don’t want that many people in and out of my home so I’d direct them to my buildings public rooftop for tenants. As long as I cleaned up after myself I think I’d be able to get away with it.

Just roast them a chicken and get them a bottle of wine. Could probably get away with $100 a pop

there’s a learning curve, right there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You just need to let it go and consider it a learning experience. You went above and beyond, and even though they probably appreciated it, they are more the “hotel type” who think it was part of the room service. Take the high road and don’t grovel for a review. If you get a great review, respond appropriately, if not, ignore it and move on.

1 Like

You can’t serve food for money. it’s illegal. Airbnb would shut that down in minutes.

Our housekeeper cooks for our guests, and she’ll even buy the groceries out of her pocket, so it’s not just cooking services, it’s a meal sold to a guest. We even advertise we offer a “meal plan”. WE’ve never been “scolded” by nanny AirBnB. The transaction is between our housekeeper and the guest, though, so it never goes through Air.

I don’t think that Airbnb cares particularly - anything that hosts do to ensure that guests have a great time is up to the host and nothing to do with Airbnb. But in some areas, you’d need a professional kitchen, need professional qualifications and be subjected to regular hygiene inspections if you’re serving food for payment. Incidentally. I was told (by an official so it should be true but I can’t vouch for it) that even if it’s part of the service that people have paid for (i.e. included in the nightly rental fee) then the same conditions apply.

I’ve sometimes wondered if it’s worth ignoring those regulations for the sake of having delighted clients but the thought of a guest getting some sort of stomach upset (even though not caused by me) and then trying to sue me, puts me right off.

Most food-unlicenced places I know of locally are careful to supply foods only if they are in unopened packages.

1 Like

Yes but this is included as part of their stay. It’s different than advertising meals or food for additional sale.

Oh, if you started advertising meals as a separate cash cow on top of the accommodations, Air would definitely be all over that. Food without a license is serious put you out of business business.

It certainly is. And (here anyway) it’s not one of those ‘it might happen one day if you’re unlucky’ things - they really do manage to get you no matter how under the radar.

1 Like

@Icklemiss - I still don’t agree with you that AIR would shut you down for serving guests food whether the meal is separately paid for or included as part of the stay. After all, the second “B” in AirBnB stands for breakfast.

I agree with @jaquo - it depends on where you are located and what the laws are in that area.

1 Like

@PitonView Not sure about where you are, but in Canada, we have regulations around food service for money. You need to have an inspected commissary to serve food for money. They recently banned a friend of mine from listing his STR and he owns a food truck!

Again, if you are making a guest breakfast on a casual basis, that’s all well and good. However, the first instance of anyone complaining because they got sick will warrant them taking action . If you charge people money for food and dont have the required permits or inspected space, you are taking a huge risk.

In those countries where all these regulations whatvyou are talking about you can’t have certified kit hen in your own home. I used to do raw foods and sell it at the market and restaurants and according to these regulations I couldn’t use my own kitchen. I had to only use restaurants kitchen which was 50 times dirtier than my own

I think commissaries here are possibly under stricter regulations as I don’t know if they would be 50 times dirtier and be allowed to be in business. But regardless, it doesn’t matter if on one given day, they ARE 50 times dirtier or if their water isn’t hot enough or their walk in isn’t cold enough. If they have been inspected and a-oked by the health department, then they would still pass as ok to make ‘commercial’ food in, whereas your home kitchen would never be. Even though I bet yours is very clean. Even if you can eat off your floors, you aren’t allowed to serve the public out of it.

I always found that the worst part of these regulations is that it really restricts people on feeding the homeless. Not that you would ever starve in my city due to the vast number of meal programs, but MUCH FOOD gets wasted as Grocery stores are forbidden to just hand over whatever food is still good but not pretty enough to sell. You can watch them dumping literal tons in the bin. When asked if people can take it, you will receive an absolute NO. Sometimes, they employ security guards to watch over the binning of food so that people don’t take it home. Crazy or what???

Can’t imagine the other tenants in your building would be happy with this approach :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hope homeless know where to find that food that is thrown away.
In the restaurant I was cooking at they didn’t wash dishes in dishwasher and didn’t use soap. They said that hot water kills all the Germs anyway