Need to blow off steam. Rude guest

They ended up leaving a good review, but didn’t mention anything about the experience.

3 Likes

I’m glad their review was good

Better that they not mention it in public review as that sets expectations for others. BUT ideally they should have left you a personal message w/ thanks for the extra perks.

Your generosity will come back to you, in some other form from some other guest.

10 Likes

@SmallNSweet Wow that’s crazy! I can’t believe they didn’t even thank you in the private message, or at least allude to your generosity in the public portion. Some people are just plain rude.

2 Likes

yeh, word is out! and add me to the list as a wheelchair user. the place had better be totally accessible with extra cups o’ tea with honey for me-heee!

2 Likes

Hi, one of the reasons rude people get away with this sort of behaviour is because some marketing obsessed person formed the words-THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT. In Australia 30% of shop assistants are abused by customers every week
If these people are allowed to behave in this form of BULLYING we deserve what we get, when people are rude like this I suggest to them that what we offer is obviously not suitable and refer them on or ask them to leave-OUR HOME. Curtesy is a 2 sided attitude , when I was a child ( am now 71 years old) behaviour like this was unacceptable, I am all over the ME generation and I refuse to find this sort of behaviour acceptable

11 Likes

You’re not going to want to hear this…For what it’s worth, I would feel the same way…slighted and indignant! However, these people have no obligation to you as individuals. They may be rude but so what?! Its not a reflection of you as a person. They dont even know you. I would not put it in the review. That IS petty.

My husband would be telling me not to get so riled up and let it roll off my back for the reasons above. He would also tell me that I have no idea what their deal is or what they are going through.

And I would say “Well, it’s my duty to humankind to inform people when they are rude little jerkfaces.” And then I would really think about it and realize that that’s my weirdness. Whatever they got going on in their world is their weirdness. And it has nothing to do with me.

So, just repeat that over and over and over until they leave and you will be fine. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Sorry, I dont see where their rudeness was anything more than remaining silent. You cant crucify people for ignoring you, I’m afraid.

Now, if they were really overtly rude and the result was damage or loss, I would be on board. But this is extremely negligible on the scale of human devastation. And it was an extra situation and courtesy that the Host extended, not something they did directly to her STR. We all get bruised feelings and hearts from people like this. But I like to be content with the knowledge that they are not happy people. They may be really shy, have a weird fetish, not be as awesome as the Host.

Whatever. But nothing to get worked up about.

2 Likes

Blockquote Knowing that they were coming into Manhattan for the parade, I kindly invited them to watch from our deck which looks directly over Columbus circle.

Blockquote

Whoa…whoa…whoa. Wait a minute.
You live in Manhattan!

Just be satisfied that your life is more fulfilled than 98% of North Americans, woman! You are likely doing alot of things right (or very wrong).
Just say “Boo, you have no power here” to the mean tourists and dust off :slight_smile:

Also, I promise that I will be a super thankful and gracious human if you ever again extend hospitalities in future.

1 Like

Sorry, I am drawing a blank but what is VR?

My husband says the exact same thing about guests and company!

Hey—I wonder if you could create/sell an Airbnb experience of “parade viewing”.

If people will pay $200 per person for a concert ticket surely you could get $250 for a prime parade view with bathroom access, option to watch from inside (cold or rain not a problem) and complementary coffee & tea.

I would pay it just to not be mashed in the crowd

6 Likes

Vacation rental…

3 Likes

Did they bring you a bottle of wine or something??? I once asked guests to come back for Thanksgiving since they were flying out late that day (they had checked out of my place 4 days prior to go to the other side of the island but were flying out from my side) and they brought wine, salad, and we’ve been friends now for 3 years. These people took advantage of you and that is a truly icky feeling. I’m sorry you experienced this, especially during the holiday season.

4 Likes

I read something recently about noticing when we get resentful and looking at where we sat our boundaries for that circumstance. I’ve been using it across the board but time and again it comes up in my Airbnb hosting. For me, looking at it that way takes the sting out of it a bit when I feel burned. I usually notice that I felt in my gut that I was over-giving and then pushed on anyway. Sometimes I noticed the gut feeling several times and just kept forging on saying yes when I really didn’t want to. That need to be liked I have is strong but I am taming it one guest debarcle at a time…haha

7 Likes

I find it is the extra kindnesses (the things people wouldn’t think of asking for) that have earned us a reputation for being Superhosts who go above and beyond to ensure our guests feel cared for.

Sometimes people are troglodytes, but most of the time, we find they are very appreciative. And we get the added bonus of knowing we helped them have a memorable holiday.

3 Likes

It’s good to hear that you’re fighting that instinct! You really need to keep at it :slight_smile: It took me a long time but everyone is happier as a result - you don’t get stressed and resentful and guests know where they stand. I’ve had a slight run of not-so-great guests recently, including my first ever 2* review in over five years. I’ll live and my review of them was uncompromising, to say the least.
Then tonight I got the nicest feedback ever from a very sweet guest that warmed my heart. She was a young Japanese traveller alone, hardly spoke any English. She said in the feedback “Thank you for good Omotenashi. You were like a mother to me”. I didn’t know the word but apparently it translates roughly as “warm hospitality without being servile”. That’s the best compliment and the best advice to any host ever!! Nobody likes servile and they definitely don’t reward it. All I gave that guest was a little bit of my time and some smiles.

4 Likes

I have no idea what parade you are all talking about it but it seems very popular so count me in!

So you are married to one of those as well! They are very annoying aren’t they? That’s what we have girlfriends for at least they will take our side and agree with us!

1 Like

https://www.macys.com/social/parade/

Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City

An wonderful tradition. I missed watching this year. I’m hoping to find it on YouTube.

Entire parade

1 Like

Oh, I did see that snowman character on the news I think, but I didn’t know what it was about.

Sit down and have a cup of get over it tea :rofl: