Need to blow off steam. Rude guest

Sounds like they could learn a lesson from the UK then.

We have FareShare and others that link with supermarkets and other food outlets to distribute food to those in need.

Since 2017 Tesco has distributed all its surplus food through FareShare

And organisations like Pret offer their surplus food through homeless charities.

Actually there are a ton of food related experiences that Airbnb is pushing …Airbnb does not have an issue with food …
Remind me, didn’t the BnB part mean Breakfast and Bed or Bed and Breakfast In the old days …

For those that want to still experience breakfast …here in Costa Rica you can!

4 Likes

I so don’t mean to be a Debbie Downer but they have these exact same programs here. Like I said, people won’t starve. We have a very similar social safety net to the UK. .

i used to work at the head office of a National Food Charity. And while so much good is done, there are so many regulations that prevent people from accessing and having control over the foods they want to or will eat (or can make a meal out of). The amount of food that is saved from going in the dumpsters is actually negligible. Yes, it’s great that any amount of food is redirected to those who need it. It sounds ridiculous, but we don’t have a food scarcity issue, we all have a food distribution issue.

The amount of waste out of grocery stores would astound you. And not the stuff that they are by law, allowed to offer to charities. It’s the food that can’t be accessed readily because there aren’t the resources to distribute them. Usually food banks or food programs have smaller offshoot programs that extend into the community to secure food. They send 2 or 3 people around on a daily route to pick up food from various big box or grocery stores. This schedule has to be maintained strictly, it is extra work for the employees of the big box stores, and means storage for the business. Things businesses do not like, no matter what Tesco says. :wink: Tesco gets a hugely fat tax break for supporting a food program.

Some foods, by law, are unable to be donated even though perfectly good. Some foods are perishable and as mentioned, stores will not store them for free just to offer them out to the public for free. Plus, it goes against their very business model to offer all of the food they could and that is available for free. So, what gets donated are alot of breads, cookies, starches, sauces. All the “white foods”.

And we should all be grateful that there is food to go around. I am aware of that and I try to put that in perspective but it really is maddening when a humans basic needs are limited by logistics and bound by bureaucracy. That it seems ok to literally throw out good food while security guards stand by so that nobody takes it… so nobody takes what will be garbage…

But I digress. I don’t want to downplay any of the work people are doing on any level to improve others lives. I believe that humankind does basically want to be good to each other
.:slight_smile: Now, maybe if Airbnb linked Airbnb Experiences with Airbnb Charity Experiences, people could work off their vacations while working at the local food charity! :wink:

2 Likes

No - the B part of Airbnb never stood for breakfast. A common misnomer.

Airbnb Experiences, from what I have seen, all involve a tour of street food, market, or restaurant tasting. The only ones I have seen where the host or guide serves the actual food is in the instance that they are a certified chef and they have the class or demo in their restaurant or similar facility.

Again, I am talking about the average Joe charging money for homemade food out of his kitchen. If you see any experiences that do, let me know please :slight_smile:

And yes, we all get the B is Breakfast. BNB in general means all inclusive. You wanna serve your guests breakfast as a courtesy included in the price of their stay? Well, you can fill your boots. :slight_smile: Again, I am talking about hosts charging money for the “2nd B” on top of the 1st.

You sure? I think it stood for Airbed and Breakfast after the one guy rented out his airmattress?

1 Like

No one is ever up there

I believe you are incorrect this time.

It doesn’t matter what it originally stood for anyway. People point out one B was for Breakfast while completely ignoring the other letters Airbed! Motel 6 no longer has rooms for $6. Southwest Airlines flies all over the United States and overseas. AT and T…telegraphs? LOL.

4 Likes

“The site Airbedandbreakfast.com officially launched on August 11, 2008.”

2 Likes

some guests will be great, some not so much, best to just roll with the shitters and not get into a state