Mother want to book for her daughter and 5 friends

Hi there,
I was once an Airbnb host back in 2016. I recently became a host again and have a question about parents booking for their college kids.

I recently had a mother reach out to me asking me if I would be OK with her daughter who is 19 years old and her five friends coming for spring break. The mother does not have a profile or reviews. I’m wondering why the daughter did not set up a profile? What are your thoughts on this? I myself was very responsible when I was 19 years old but I’m a little nervous with that many guests at that age with no reviews.

Broadly, it could be ok. I would not do this as a 3rd party booking. The daughter or one of her friends must be the primary booking guest and be present.

Some communication with the daughter etc would be wise. Make them put in writing before booking “I have read and agreed to all house rules”, etc.

2 Likes

Thank you. I’m going to reply to the mothers email asking for her daughter to set up a profile.
I guess I wonder why the daughter did not do this? Her mom also has no reviews. If at least one of them did I’d feel better about it.

The ages of the 6 girls are 19-21

You can’t have an airbnb account without a profile and you can’t contact a host without an account, so how does a person without a profile reach out to you?

My understanding is that you’re not covered by Airbnb’s Host Guarantee or Host Protection if you knowingly accept a 3rd party booking. Maybe it’s not worth much, but it’s something.

There are headaches with 3rd party bookings, the most common is that you have trouble contacting the guests that are actually staying in your listing, and when you can contact them, it won’t be on the platform.

I think the most likely scenario is simply that the mother wants to pay for it.

Perfect.

So one of them old enough to buy alcohol for the rest. :wink:

The one thing you should do if you don’t have it already is add a security deposit to your listing. I don’t know where you’re at, but if it’s’ a spring break destination, the chances that your guests will invite other guests over is high, and that increases the risk of damage. Again, it’s not perfect because of how Airbnb handles security deposits, but it’s something.

1 Like

I on the Gulf Coast of Florida, and I would not accept that 3rd party booking. If Mom asks why tell her 3rd party booking are not allowed by Airbnb and she can take it up with them, not you. I would do everything else I could to discourage a Spring Break booking too, like tripling my rate if I were under $100 per night.

We’ve had a few breakers want to book here (mistaking Fort Myers for Fort Myers Beach 20 miles away) but they get discouraged when they discover there is no public transport to the beach, the beach is 30+ minutes away by car at this time of year (15 minutes in summer), and an Uber would cost them $50 each way…

2 Likes

Lynette, as Brian says, the likelihood is that the mother is paying so that explains that part of the matter.

If you search the forum you’ll find that the hosts here are widely varied on two of the issues you mentioned - third party bookings and guests under twenty one.

Some hosts don’t approve of either. Others, myself included, have no problem with teenage guests or with mums booking for their offspring. If you look through the forum you’ll see so many varied responses regarding the whys and wherefores.

Although I’m fine with both, I would only accept spring breakers because I’m right there on the premises and can keep a close eye on both apartments. (Which is something that deters noisy or partying guests). If you or your co-host is right there, then you may find it easier to deal with than if you’re a drive away.

This to me is the most important thing to consider with a third party booking - be absolutely certain that the people actually staying in the house have read and agreed to all of your house rules. The likelihood of “Mom” telling her daughter all of the rules is close to nil.

OK, so I’m an elderly Brit and unfamiliar with all this West Coast USA language, but all the phrase “reach out” does for me is to remind me of the wonderful song by the Four Tops, “Reach Out, I’ll Be There”. Why isn’t the word “contact” considered sufficient?

2 Likes

“Reach out” is marketing fluff. It’s supposed to sound more personal than “contact”.

We reach out for a more curated experience. When expending emotional capital it’s important to leverage…

5 Likes

Translation will not follow!

1 Like

The likelihood of “Mom” telling her daughter all of the rules is close to nil.

That. I can guarantee that to be true and even if the daughter sets up her own profile SHE won’t read the house rules to the others, either. Find a way to ensure that ALL of the girls acknowledge the house rules…if you’re onsite, go over the house rules when all are present. If not onsite then create a google doc or something and have each one initial it and make Mom aware too. I have kids that age and know the challenge they go through to find places so I’m inclined to help when I can feel comfortable that I know what I’m getting.

After much consideration I decided to decline the mothers request. I explained I don’t book third parties and she explained she was looking for her daughter.
I am going with my intuition on this one. I’m not comfortable with a 21 year old having her mom do this for her. It shows me she may not be responsible enough. At 21 my parents didn’t do things for me and it was because I was responsible and independent enough myself.
It all worked out though because I got a couple coming from NY right after. They had a profile AND pic AND reviews. I feel much better with the request.

4 Likes

"reach out “moving forward” - sorry American friends but this vomitous desecration of English seems to be coming from your direction . These 2 expressions occur frequently in Airspeak which we all know to be a language of dissembling.

2 Likes