Most Lost and Found items

What is the most left behind items from your guests? Mine are shoes, phone chargers and UNDERWEAR!!! :scream:

1 Like

Wow. Underwear? Puke.

Eggs and beer! I donā€™t mind the barley pops. :grin:

Phone chargers
Socks
Underwear
Documents

Just had a guest leave a hair straightener and a make-up brush. That is not typical. Most items are beachwear; bathing suits, flip-flops, goggles - stuff like that.

phone chargers. I have usb plugging ports on all my lamps and folks forget that the cord is theirs. I keep a basket of the cords left for people to use.

Phone chargers, diaries/journals, hats.

Phone chargers, toiletries, and socks. Before international travelers stopped - electric converters. We get a few calls or texts a year from people who have lost something but we donā€™t find it here.

Toiletries like shampoo, toothpaste, hairspray.

Phone chargers, t shirts, shoes and undies.

Water bottles, t-shirts, toques, hairpins.

Couple years ago I stayed in the condo immediately after the guest checked out. I found a several days worth of young menā€™s clothing on the smaller bed

I texted the renter, she said give them away. While the family went to beach one last time, she did a couple loads of laundry.

The clothes belonged to her 16 year old son. She placed the clean clothes on the bed & told her son he needed to pack them. His response, ā€œIā€™m busy. You washed them. You pack them.ā€ Mom, ā€œpack your clothes ā€œ He didnā€™t.

She was waiting for him to check his luggage. Apparently the left behind clothes included a couple of his favorite pieces.

Teenagersā€¦

3 Likes

Plenty of adults just like that. I offer the divorce rate as evidence.

2 Likes

I canā€™t imagine ever saying that to my mom. She was the kindest, caring-est, toughest bird ever. She did not survive 35 years as a high school teacher then guidance counselor without knowing how to correct the behavior of teenagers. ā€œThe lookā€ from her made my life flash before my eyes.

Sadly you are correct. Boys watch & learn early from their Dads how to treat their mothers. A former coworkerā€™s husband was a generally disrespectful jackass. Their 5 year old son spoke to his mom the way his Dad did.

1 Like

I used to gather up all my daughtersā€™ clothing and possessions that were scattered around the living room and kitchen and put them on the stairs- they were to take the piles up to their rooms. I was even nice enough to separate it- each kidā€™s stuff on a different step.

Once, after reminding them several times, as they just walked up the stairs ignoring the piles, I gathered it all up, put it in a garbage bag, hid it in the shed, and when they asked where their X was, I told them I had taken all the ignored piles to the second hand store. They were shocked and upset and I let them think their stuff was gone for a week, then gave it back and told them next time it wouldnā€™t be a bluff.

2 Likes

Makeup stains on the towels?

8 Likes

Socks, undies, chargers, jewelry, toiletries. I only contact them about the jewelry.

Mostly useful things they didnā€™t feel like packing. Sunhats, umbrellas, beach towels. Useful things to offer to future guests or use myself.

As far as things left in error, just a couple of tee shirts. My guest space is compact, not a lot of places to space things out without noticing.

I donā€™t consider toiletry items to be things left behind. If they are just dregs, they are garbage, if they still have a lot of product left, I figure they just didnā€™t want to pack it and have a basket of these leavings for future guests to avail themselves of if they choose.

A guest from New Zealand (Iā€™m in California) left a set of lacy underthings. I had already tossed them when, 3 days later, she messaged me a d just HAD to have them back. :unamused:.

Fortunately that trash bag was mostly paper itemsā€¦

4 Likes

My #1 by far was food and beverages. Others items include toiletries, socks (in the bedding), jewelry (in the bedding), phone chargers, and paperback books, but everything else combined doesnā€™t even come close to food and beverages.

Of the 2 tee shirts that were left by accident, I messaged the guests to see if they wanted them back. One said no, one said sheā€™d appreciate it. I was able to give it to the following guest to pop in the mail, all packed up and addressed, along with a few bucks for postage (tiny package), as they both were from the US and it would have cost a lot to mail from here in Mexico. I paid the postage myself, as the guest had stayed for a week. Seemed niggly to ask her for a couple of bucks.

I think Iā€™d be embarrassed to ask a host to send back underwear.