Laundry machines

Hello! Newcomer to this forum but I have been a host since 2016. My cleaner uses my old laundry machines each time she cleans so the linens and towels are all ready for the next turnover. I pay a ton for propane for the dryer and the cleaner tells me that they take waaayyyy too long to finish and she often had to wait for them to finish after she has completed everything else.

I would like to purchase a new set for the cleaner so that it is efficient, in both her time to run the loads and also the cost to run them (electric and water). I was wondering if anyone had some USA model recommendations to share. Thank you!!!

To help our members please reply to a few questions:

1. Is it important or valuable that the washer and dryer can stack on top of each other?
  2. How important is water usage? For example, in some areas like CA this can be a very important factor. We all want to use less water. But if water usage is a critically important factor that will likely mean that a front-loading washer and dryer is likely the way to go because front loaders use 50% less water, maybe even less than that. But high efficiency top-loaders are a possibility if water usage is very important as well as some other advantage(s) of the top-loader.
  3. Front-loading washers and dryers typically require some bending to load/unload. Is this an important factor?
  4. Front-loading washers are known to clean more thoroughly than to-loading washers. Often this is not so important in an STR if the laundry doesn’t get all that dirty. A top-loader cleans well; a front-loader cleans exceptionally well. But if you’re using the same machines for your own laundry it might be important. How important is the front-loader washer advantage in cleaning to you?
  5. Front-loading washers are gentler on fabrics. How important is that to you?
  6. Front-loading washers and dryers are generally more expensive than top-loaders. In the ballpark of $200-$300 each. A front-loader will likely last 2-3 fewer years than a top loader and maintenance will need to be done by a technician rather than a do-it-yourselfer. How important is that?
  7. How important is it that the units are quiet? Front-loaders are more quiet than top-loaders.
  8. Do you need a high capacity washer and dryer?

FYI: Top-loading washers wash faster than front-loading washers. BUT most reviews say that because the front-loading washers wring out more water that the drying time is less so that the total time is about the same. But I haven’t read that definitively.

1. IF the total time (wash + dry) is the same but the washer is faster than do you have a preference between top- and front-loading washers? For example, if you would line dry items then the shorter wash time of the top-loader washers would be an important advantage for you. If not, total time is what you care about.

With answers to these questions I think we can advise you better.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your thorough reply and questions!!! Please see my answers inline below….

1. Is it important or valuable that the washer and dryer can stack on top of each other?
    No, I will need them to sit side by side as I will have them in the basement and height is an issue there.
  2. How important is water usage? For example, in some areas like CA this can be a very important factor. We all want to use less water. But if water usage is a critically important factor that will likely mean that a front-loading washer and dryer is likely the way to go because front loaders use 50% less water, maybe even less than that. But high efficiency top-loaders are a possibility if water usage is very important as well as some other advantage(s) of the top-loader.
    We are in New York, so water usage is not a totally critical issue, but more of a general hope as I pay for water and prefer to be as environmentally and cost conscious as possible.
  3. Front-loading washers and dryers typically require some bending to load/unload. Is this an important factor?
    My cleaner is the one who will use these machines and has never mentioned it, but as we all get older, I suppose it would be nice to consider it. Not a major factor in our case
  4. Front-loading washers are known to clean more thoroughly than to-loading washers. Often this is not so important in an STR if the laundry doesn’t get all that dirty. A top-loader cleans well; a front-loader cleans exceptionally well. But if you’re using the same machines for your own laundry it might be important. How important is the front-loader washer advantage in cleaning to you?
    Only the Airbnb laundry will be run in these machines, and only linens as well as I do not offer laundry services to my guests and the basement is off limits to them, so the difference you mentioned is probably not a big factor for us.
    I’ve never thought about this before, but we currently have a top loader and I have been surprised how fast some of our linens have deteriorated. I suppose this will become a factor over time financially so that we don’t have to replace bed linens quite as often as in the past.
  6. Front-loading washers and dryers are generally more expensive than top-loaders. In the ballpark of $200-$300 each. A front-loader will likely last 2-3 fewer years than a top loader and maintenance will need to be done by a technician rather than a do-it-yourselfer. How important is that?
    I hope to order my new set from the local appliance store and will purchase their warranty plan so I am ok with that. I suppose that it will be about even in how often I have to replace linens and the added cost of the front loaders, so maybe a more important factor would be the cost to run them so often in electric and water charges.
  7. How important is it that the units are quiet? Front-loaders are more quiet than top-loaders.
    Not that important for our uses.
    High capacity would be excellent so that she can do less loads, therefore saving her time (and me money.)

FYI: Top-loading washers wash faster than front-loading washers. BUT most reviews say that because the front-loading washers wring out more water that the drying time is less so that the total time is about the same. But I haven’t read that definitively.
Interesting! I wish that washers and dryers told you how fast their cycles were. I can’t seem to find that info anywhere!
9. IF the total time (wash + dry) is the same but the washer is faster than do you have a preference between top- and front-loading washers? For example, if you would line dry items then the shorter wash time of the top-loader washers would be an important advantage for you. If not, total time is what you care about.
Agreed, no line drying for us. Total time is the most important. In the past I have had cleaners who have done the wash and then moved the load into the dryer and left. Then they folded that when they came back on the next cleaning, so that would mean that the wash time is the critical part. My current cleaner waits for the dryer to finish and then folds and puts it away for the next time.

With answers to these questions I think we can advise you better.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts! Thanks again!

I bought a washer/dryer set from Home Depot (free delivery and take away old stuff) and I’m pretty happy. It takes a little tinkering to figure out the washer settings, but it’s worth it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool-4-8-cu-ft-Smart-White-Top-Load-Washing-Machine-with-Load-and-Go-Built-in-Water-Faucet-and-Stain-Brush-WTW6120HW/312453231

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool-7-4-cu-ft-White-Front-Load-Electric-Dryer-with-AccuDry-System-WED5100HW/312459559

1 Like

your reply is just great!

I wish for a dryer… any dryer… we line dry, and I do think doing this has added to the lifetime and crisp-yet-softness of our wash.
I thought I might get a new washer, but it got fixed!

2 Likes

How long does the wash cycle take? And how long does the dryer cycle take? Have you noticed your electric and water bills improving, or the same as your last set?

Wow this set of questions is great – I’m going to bookmark this for the next time I need to buy a washer and dryer!

1 Like

What’s your target for time in total for wash and dry?

Bottom Line: I would get an LG front-loading washing machine with the Turbo Wash feature, like the LG WM3900HWA. NY Times says that on this feature it will wash your clothes in 30 minutes. It’s available at Best Buy for $800; I would check out Costco if you have a membership.

This is a NYTimes pick and top-rated recommended Consumer Reports washer. LG has other TurboWash washers and I didn’t sort through them but I would think any would suit your needs. Thespruce.com likes the WM4000HWA model, another TurboWash model, with steam.

ConsumerReports recommended electric dryers were all LG models. So I would get a matching set. I think the washer is the key decision.

I’d recommend getting stainless steel braided hoses for the washer. Ideally you’d have turnoff valves so that you could turn off the water when you’re away. Water damage from burst hoses is ‘a thing.’

I had thought I would recommend a top-loading washer for you because these generally have a shorter wash time (though I’ve also read that they have a longer drying time because they wring less of the water from the clothes). I’ll recite some of the general advantages I read about front- and top-loading washers as a category. But when it came to picking the absolute top-loading model (Samsung WA55A7300AE ) I read a lot of negative reviews. This always happens but then I came upon universal acclaim for LG models and read about the TurboWash technology, and I thought this gives you the best of all worlds.

The LG Turbo Tax models will give you the speed you want, will be gentler on your clothes and will be dryer right out of the washer than from a top-loader (in general). You want 4.5 cubic feet or more so you can wash a King size comforter.

Front-loaders are noted for cleaning somewhat better than top loaders – not a top consideration for the lightly soiled laundry you’ll encounter, but it’s nice. That it’s gentler on your laundry is more important. Front-loaders use less water, a plus but not key.

Front-loaders are more expensive upfront, cost a bit more to service and last 2-3 years less than top-loaders. So there’s that, but this didn’t seem like a deal killer.

I was drawn to the reliability I read about from LG. We happen to have two washers and dryers, one set an LG for ten years (doing great); the other an Electrolux for three years, also doing great.

Anecdotally our service tech says that the #1 reason why washers and dryers wear out is overfilling them. So bear that in mind.

I hope this helps point you in a good direction. It looks like some models are on clearance (slightly older models). Please let us know what you choose to do.

ALL: Please chime in. What are your thoughts?

2 Likes

I just upgraded my washer and dryer. I puchased Amana front loaders. They both have a quick setting which is helpful if you’re running late. They also use less water.

I placed them side by side and ordered a formica counter on Amazon so that we can fold laundry on top of them.

2 Likes

I have a top loader Samsung. It doesn’t have an agitator in the center, so it isn’t hard on the clothes. Wash time for a full load is 52 minutes. I find it spins the clothes quite dry. At least no water drips out of them, even thick towels, when I hang them out on my line.

Any chance it would be more efficient and cost-effective to have the cleaner take the linens and towels to a service instead of buying new machines that might not solve the problem?

3 Likes

I agree with @PitonView that it’s worth looking into a wash-and-fold service. I just googled and you have several in your area. At least one of them offers pick up and delivery if you can’t arrange pickup and dropoff. But if you have at least 3 sets then you have one set at the laundry, one ready to go and one with current guests.

If you’re not going to add value by letting guests use the laundry machines and you’re paying a ton for propane then it doesn’t make sense, IMO, to 1. invest in new machines or 2. pay your cleaner’s hourly rate for laundry. It will take a lot of time to make back the money that you spend on the machines and a cleaner’s rate is too high for laundry tasks.

It takes about 2 hours to do each load of laundry if you include going down to the basement, loading the washer, going back to the basement, loading the dryer, going back to the basement and then folding the laundry and putting it away.

So you’re paying your cleaner for 2 hours to do laundry. Even if she’s doing other stuff during the cycles she is still (or needs to be) tending to the laundry. At the very least it’s a distraction. On top of that, you’re also spending money on the propane and the water and the detergent (and maybe fabric softener and electricity too, not sure).

And of course, I don’t know anything about your listing but buying two new machines will surely eat up a bunch of future payouts so that for a good while you’ll be paying a cleaner to do laundry, paying for propane, paying for water, paying for detergent and paying off new machines instead of bringing in any profit.

And professional machines are more eco-friendly and use less water and fewer utilities. They not only use fewer utilities but their utility rates are lower to begin with because they get business rates instead of residential rates. More reasons why it’s cheaper to have it done than to do it at home.

Their machines are also much easier on the linens so they’ll last longer and you won’t have to replace them as often. So it’s cheaper, it uses less water and fewer utilities, it doesn’t require a new purchase, your sheets and towels will last longer and, truly, the folding is amazing (cause pros).

It’s worth considering.

2 Likes

This idea is really fascinating. I had never considered it.

There is a Happy Nest laundry service nearby (they’e nationwide). They pick up and deliver the next day. Their charge here is about $1.90/lb. Looking at https://homedecorbliss.com/how-much-does-a-sheet-weigh/ I estimated the weight of our linens at about 27# and the turnover cost with Happy Nest to be about $50. [Of course, I could use Happy Nest once and get accurate costs.]

I think it would very interesting for the OP to do the following:

1. Use a nearby laundry service to evaluate their quality and determine the actual price, which might vary with weight of their linens that they are likely unsure of.

2. See/ask what the difference in time or cost is from the cleaner.

3. Evaluate whether they’d want to give access to guests to the washer/dryer – whether that might boost occupancy or the nightly rate.

4. As an FYI, I calculated the electricity ($.15/kwh), water/sewer and detergent cost in our situation and it all adds up to less than $1 per load. This source says the average cost/load is $1.27 though they don’t say all the factors considered (Wait?!? How Much Time Do People Spend on Laundry?)

With that information the OP could make an informed decision on whether the laundry service makes sense if it’s not immediately apparent to them now.

I’ve had a Whirlpool top loader with an agitator for about a year. It is the WTW5105hw about $800 at all the big box stores. It has cycles of various times. The quick cycle is about 30 minutes. It’s capacity is 4.7 cu ft. When I need to wash a duvet and pillow, the truly bulky things, I go to the laundromat.

I’m much happier with it than the other HE machine I had that only lasted about 5 years. It didn’t have an agitator and the gear in the tub of the machine went out and a rusty-greasy substance oozed out onto a load of laundry and was hell to get out. But at least I discovered the issue before a bigger disaster. The appliance repair guy said it would be about $400 to replace.

I like all of the feedback about checking on a laundry service. This sounds like it could be a good solution for you. The cost of a new w/d will take a long time to recoup.
I clean my own place (homeshare), so can’t speak to the topic of having my cleaner doing laundry. I will say that I have 3 sets of sheets for each of my 2 beds, which is super convenient.
Fwiw, we got a Maytag commercial top loading washer w/ no agitator, and a Maytag commercial dryer, & I love them! The wash times are at least an hour, but it spins SO much water out, dry time seems to be cut in half. And the big benefit is that our utilities went down, too.

Here’s my two cents…

It depends on how much space is available. For my Airbnb, the W/D hookup is in a 38" wide closet, so I had no other choice than to get a vertical W/D ‘tower.’ They’re more expensive, but I was fortunate to find a vertical for half-price at a scratch-and-dent. If I had the space, I would’ve preferred a side-by-side W/D because they’re less expensive, easier to find as ‘used,’ and easier to replace.

2. How important is water usage?

Water usage is important, although the biggest impact I’ve seen with frequent washer use has been on the gas bill. I’ve alleviated some of this by lowering the temperature on the hot water heater.

So far, I haven’t heard any guests complain about the front-loader. A top-loader might also require some bending, depending on the guest’s height.

4. Front-loading washers are known to clean more thoroughly than to-loading washers.

Definitely a plus.

I’d consider this less important because the guests are only there for a week or two at a time.

6. Front-loading washers and dryers are generally more expensive than top-loaders.

See #1.

7. How important is it that the units are quiet?

It depends on where the washer and dryer is located. For my Airbnb, the W/D closet is in the living room area, so I had to get something very quiet (LG Thinq) so the guests would be able to do laundry and watch TV at the same time.

Yes, if you plan to use the same washer and dryer to wash the blankets/sheets in the suite after the guests leave, then a W/D with enough capacity to handle those larger items is essential.

Those questions that were posed were in response to the original post here. It wasn’t about the guests, it was about the cleaner doing the laundry. I can’t imagine any hosts care at all whether the washer is easy on guests’ clothes, or whether they mind bending over to get clothes in and out, the concern is the host’s sheets and towels wearing out and how hard doing the washing is on the cleaner. The OP didn’t even mention that the washer/dryer were available to guests.

1 Like

Oops! Sorry, I misunderstood.

I’ve had to fiddle around to get get the wash cycles between 41 and 59 minutes - otherwise they are over an hour, which pisses me off as my 35 year old Whirlpool did laundry in 20 minutes and I didn’t have to do an extra rinse (low water use, so you have to play with that, too, which is all machines these days) and max water levels.

Electric is about the same, so there’s that and water is about the same, too. Let’s face it, those old machines were work horses and didn’t waste as much water as thought and clothes came clean quickly.

Good luck. On the whole, I’m happy with them and wouldn’t recommend them unless I’d done my research and was happy!