Kitchen use rules suddenly challenged

Hehehehe …thank you😁

1 Like

This is a pretty new phenomenon. We’ve hosted more than 300 people and the Kitchen Thing has seldom been an issue until recently. More than anything, I’m wondering if other hosts are seeing a similar uptick.

1 Like

I agree. I’ve had issues with cancellations, discount seekers, requests for too many guests, and lookie-loos with a bazillion questions with no booking, at a level I’ve not had since I started Airbnb in 2014.

Also, I just removed my instant book function because of this.

My instant book had the requirement “must be recommended by prior host”. My last 3 instant book potential guests simply clicked the “book it” button and didn’t respond when I requested additional information. 2 of them began communicating with prodding. One I declined because he told me he had stayed at an Airbnb before and knew what to expect; which meant he knew nothing

2 Likes

I think you are on to something here. I’ve recently had a spate of RTBs with “we” in the message, then only booking for one person, and it’s not just people new to the platform. The worst are the ones who don’t respond, or amend the booking when asked, with time ticking away and time wasted calling CS.

1 Like

put it in the title: beautiful home in XXXX with no access to kitchen

or make it the first sentence in your listing description

or make sure you communicate to the guest when they book you. Guys, you know you won’t have access to the kitchen right? feel free to cancel if you thought you would.

1 Like

Same here. When you book on the app it defaults to 1 person and to change it to two involves an extra step, or so it appears to me. That’s why I’ve done away with the second person charge and just raised the price for everyone.

I do like the suggestion of allowing them to cancel. I think I will start doing that. Stay tuned.

When you book off a phone (and apparently half of them do ) you have to open sections for basic information. But all they see is price/click/I am in a hotel, yay!
So yeah, I need to change my game.

yeah, many people do this and it kind of pisses me off. i had someone cancel a reservation in my own house bc I had cats, although it is mentioned in the description I have them. they just looked at the pics. therefore every time someone instant books me I reply: thank you for booking me bla, bla. i do have cats. If you are allergic feel free to cancel. i also put it in the title.

1 Like

I’d suggest utilizing what has been happening - showing up with groceries and wanting to know where the pots and pans are - to restate what your accommodations entail. For example, “There are no cooking facilities in either the room or the tent. However, we provide a mini-fridge and microwave for your convenience so you may re-heat carry-out.”

3 Likes

So. This just in. Weekend guests just left. Upon leaving, he reaches behind the door to grab a large… saw. Surprised, I say, "wowwwww, I’ve never had a guest with a… um, saw before… " His girlfriend pipes in. “Yes, he usually builds a campfire.” WTF. So yeah, I always have had rules about smoking and open flames, but honestly, I don’t think I should have to ask guests specifically to not cut down our trees. Or start a fire. This collective weirdness with kitchen use and now, apparently lumberjack apparatus, has happened in the past three weeks. Not seeking advice as much as sharing weird, weird happenings.

2 Likes

I look forward to what are probably going to be more frequent postings of weird stories. :wink:

1 Like

Gaghhh! This must cease. We’ve had amazing, wonderful, inspiring, kind, thoughtful guests for two years. And now the planets seem to have shifted, bringing I Never Go Anywhere Without A Large Saw Man et al through our door.

5 Likes

Maybe your space need a limpia as we call it down here.

1 Like

Imagine they saw a cockroach run across the floor!!! That dirty queen doesn’t keep her palace clean!

3 Likes

So that is a new one for me, and I probably have read more than my share of strange rules on this forum.
We ‘offer’ use of the living room, but only at night.

Sorry, but as a guest I would surely have a ‘wtf’ moment …
And especially true if you are indeed advertising your livingroom with a photo.

1 Like

Photos of cats in the listing helped cut down on this problem for me.

So true.

It made me realise that by writing our description and house rules in plain English, I was naively assuming that someone whose native language is English would be able to both read them and then subsequently retain some of the information provided.

Fortunately, my Klingon lessons in Duolingo are coming along swimmingly therefore once I transcribe our listing, we can both blame Airbnb for providing a poor translation meaning host and guest are blameless.

Sorted. Happy days.

baQa’ jIval neH vaj!

JF

3 Likes

I admire your desire to learn Klingon, and I bet you don’t see more than four Klingons a year in full-time hosting. The ones we’ve hosted have been a bit brusque, but attentive to all rules.

3 Likes

I just checked… they do offer klingon indeed. ANd there are 500k who are taking these class! Unbelievable!

2 Likes