Kitchen Quarantine: What’cha Cook’n?

Things are different in central TX. I lived in El Paso since 1964 and for decades corn tortillas were 8 inches. In Mexico you’d see smaller “street tacos” which were about 6 inches. Flour tortillas were always 11 inch and I never saw those giant ones until relatively recently. The smaller flour ones are also newer to me.

For sure. And most definitely different in Austin, but most of my family is West Texas where it’s a bit different again. Most of the tortillas I ate growing up were homemade so I think the size they were made was according to what was going to be cooked - bigger ones for burritos for sure. I definitely never saw those little street tacos outside of Mexico until I moved to California, but they’re everywhere now.

Something really specific that I still like is having my enchiladas “West Texas style” - chopped tomatoes and iceberg on top. lol. West Texas salad.

Now ya’ll be bringing back memories for me. I was born and lived in Texas four times. (5?). Anyway, in Universal City my fav restaurant within walking distance entree were onion enchiladas. And Chalupas. Taco Bell had not been invented yet…

It’s funny how El Paso is as far west as you can get but doesn’t get to call itself west TX. Enchiladas with salad on top I see at restaurants where the salad on the plate spills over onto it but not as part of the dish. An egg though…

Kinda like Amarillo not getting to call itself North Texas.

Yeah, I’ve seen that too. And my Italian friends put one on pizza. No eggs on top of anything for me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Tested this out today; it’s a keeper. I’ll next make in quarter loaf pans as snack for guests.

1 Like

That is so me. I cooked good hearty meals for my 3 daughters and myself for 27 years. I never much liked cooking to start with, though I’m not a bad cook. But now I just wish I didn’t have to eat to survive. I’ve said exactly what you said here to people before. First you have to go shopping, then bring the stuff home and put it all away, then take some out again to prepare a meal, then transfer the leftovers to something else to put back in the fridge, then clean the counters, wash the dishes, then put away the clean dishes, only to do it all again a few hours later. I wish I could just live on air and water.
I’m the master of burning food because it bores me to death to stand there stirring it or checking on it. I put something on to cook and wander away to do something else. I can think of 100 things I’d rather do than cook.

1 Like

@Joan started the cravings posts by saying they’d heard someone say they’re craving a Big Mac and she and her OH looked at each other in horror. Here’s a good story in that vein.
When my kids were young, they were always asking me why we didn’t go to Mcdonald’s, like their friends did. I explained about it not being healthy food and they didn’t really pressure me about it, even though they somehow thought they were missing out.
Then one time I went on a three day fast and didn’t want to deal with food, so I figured I’d just go out and get them fast food for 3 nights, they’ll love it, right?
First night I got Kentucky Fried Chicken, they all liked that, but found it too salty.
Next night I got Chinese. My youngest doesn’t really like Chinese food- she had a PB sandwich. (I think she is pretty allergic to the MSG- says Chinese food makes her feel clammy and sweaty, as do some other foods)
Third night was going to be the toppèr- Big Macs and fries. Was a first for me, going through the drive-by take-out window. I got home, laid it all out on the table and yelled that dinner was served. I was fussing around in the kitchen when they came down, my back turned to the dining table. There was an unusually long silence, and I turned around to see them with the Big Mac wrappers peeled back, all of them staring with intent trepidation at the burger, which they’d peeled the bun back from, and then looking at each other with some tacit communication. Finally my middle daughter looked at me and said apologetically “Mom, we can’t eat this.”

3 Likes

Well, that’s a really good result! They obviously prefer your food (however badly burned…) to junk food.

Have they seen the Jamie Oliver episode, filmed in the States, of mechanically recovered meat used in junk food? I had a fantastic work colleague, who I used to get seconded to me yonks ago, as my right hand man in NHS /SS clean up failing services management roles. He wasn’t a close friend, but did have a key to my house in the S of France. We met up there one time, with his new American girlfriend who was a professional caterer.

Well, bugger me, she was so rude. We’d picked her up at the airport 2 hours a way, got home and the first thing she did was open all my kitchen cupboards to see what was there, then complained that the freezer was empty. The house had been empty for three months, what did she expect? By now, I’m on red flag alert.

A couple of days later, with wine on board, she suddenly erupted about that particular episode of Jamie’s; what a cheek it was for a Brit to march in and tell Americans what not to eat.

Suspicious of her rant, I asked her if she had actually seen the episode. No, she hadn’t, and had only heard tell of it. I went to bed.

Remembering this, I wonder what she (or her mates) made of the later Gordon Ramsey “Hell’s Kitchens”!

To give her her due, she cooked a lovely meal for ten of us, but oh, was she so possessive of my kitchen. Fortunately, it was only 5 days of purgatory. Shen went back to Paris/Us and my colleague summarily dumped her.

Speaking of possessive kitchen ownership, Mr Joan took mine over at the beginning of lock down. Tonight, he’d like a chocolate cake, essentially to share with Roger-next-door, so I gather ingredients. No cocoa powder, not in it’s usual cupboard.

“You’ve moved it”

“No I haven’t”

“Well it’s not where it lives, so you must have done”

Half an hour later, he finds it in the curry spice cupboard. Why? To use in chilli con carne…

1 Like

Having a variation of the chicken tonight. No shallots, less garlic and a lot less salt, at least to begin with. Added some red peppercorns and a few bay leafs.

Some steamed veg and a bucketful of roasties to accompany.

JF

3 Likes

Sounds yummy. And jam roly poly to follow? Custard?

I’ve just sprayed cake mix over the kettle & toaster… Too many beers whilst waiting for cocoa powder to be found.

At least it’s in the oven, and I’ve remembered to set a timer.

Oh roasties. We haven’t been able to find any King Edwards, just non floury ordinariness that really don’t do the job.

1 Like

Oh @Joan you are just such a… something.

I’d kill for some good floury potatoes here. Oldest daughter was going to be bringing me a bag of Maris Pipers, but that ain’t happening :frowning_face:

Other than direct imports it’s Morrisons at Gib,and that ain’t happening either.

I’m Scottish! I’m also Irish!

Potatoes are our lifeblood!

JF

1 Like

I have a friend whose spouse is quite dyslexic, and he just puts things anywhere. You open a drawer or cupboard in her kitchen and there might be a jar of canned peaches, a pot, a couple of glasses, a bottle of wine, a bag of coffee, the salt shaker, and a box of crackers. The whole kitchen is like that. I asked her how she can stand it without going crazy and she said it used to really bother her, but she let it go, because he’s so good to her. He does most of the cooking and dishwashing anyway, and it doesn’t appear to bother him at all.

I grew up in a similar household! I tried a Big Mac for the first time when I was 33. Well, tried is a strong word. I took one bite and threw it out. There was nothing about it that seemed like food at all - not the bun, not the lettuce, not the meat. :woozy_face:

1 Like

Mr J is currently doing most of the cooking here. If he managed to put everything away, and do the dish washer, I would be very happy indeed. He even has problems closing cupboard doors after himself…

Jeez you eat a lot in one meal @dirk :smiley: :smile: :grin:

On a more serious note looks lush. Do share the recipes.

Waitrose & M&S have both @Joan :slight_smile: . Had them today cooked in goose fat for Sunday roast with Yorkshire puds and roast rib of beef coated in mustard, carrots, kale and gravy. Yum.

My kids won’t eat that crap either, Dad, that stuff makes me fart.

2 Likes

I’ll try to note them down. Which one do you like first? Tell me the name of the picture. Metric or imperial units?

Cheers

1 Like

Clearly you have never worked in a kitchen with a chef, your job is to stay out of his way, anticipate what he needs and clean up.

Just sayin

RR