Kitchen Quarantine: What’cha Cook’n?

I’m getting better at timing my sourdough bread rising, so yesterday’s loaves weren’t quite as dense and actually raised above the pans! Nice whole wheat loaf. I had a hard time finding my usual favorite organic whole wheat flour the last 2 weeks — everyone must be baking!

Bloody rabbit food.

I think your average rabbit would have great difficulty digesting many of my salads :wink:

:rabbit2: :dash:

JF

4 Likes

go really well with a nice salad on the side :plate_with_cutlery: :wine_glass: :rabbit2::green_salad:

2 Likes

I heard someone, being interviewed on the radio yesterday, say how much they are longing for a Big Mac. We looked at each other in horror but then began thinking about what we were longing to eat, once set free.

We both agreed that we’d go straight for the wonderful Chinese restaurant in nearby Canterbury. We found it by accident on the Centenary Remembrance Day, after attending the service in Canterbury Cathedral. Not being a big eater at the best of times, I could barely move after finishing what I would normally eat in two/three days. Scrumptious, full of Chinese fellow diners, many of them tourists or with kids at the nearby Cathedral boarding school.

Any one else having such longings?

Yes, just yesterday I was thinking I’d love a nice anti-pasto platter. This is never the kind of thing I crave. I have to settle for a 6" frozen personal pan pizza. Eventually I will crave some fast food like a burger or hotdog from one of the chains.

There’s a local Mexican place that makes camarones a la diabla. I Googled recipes and made it myself and I think I did pretty well. Drank Sangria (@JohnF! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) with it and was a happy camper with yellow rice, too.

But I really long to have a meal with people sitting next to me or across a table while sipping cocktails. I’m beyond sick of eating alone. Well, fending the Bengal off the table isn’t really alone… but conversation would be great.

Nothing like good Chinese…

3 Likes

A non memorable holiday, on Lake Orta, Italy, involved such plates. Although August, the weather was dreadful, Mr J had failed to tell me he was coming off some meds for his B/P, onto new ones, and it was like being on holiday with his very grumpy father. Even worse, the food in general was ghastly; either mediocre, or crap posing as supposedly high end gastronomy.

We eventually found a back street wine cave, with sharing plates of antipasti to die for, especially the cheeses with a good bottle of Barolo. Once found, we went nowhere else in the evenings.

3 Likes

A GOOD bagel. In fact, 20 good bagels!

1 Like

Oh, I love this happy ending!!!

Back street places - Macau behind the British pub that sits across from the temple of the Buddha of Mercy (fondly known as "Our Lady of the Mudflats) and next to an automotive repair place… Best African Chicken ever. And multiple bottles of vinho verde.

1 Like

Nothing fancy, just a plate of chocos frito (breaded and fried cuttlefish) and a cold beer. With people. As in people that’s not just me and the OH :smile:

Oh, and someone else cooking it!

JF

3 Likes

Missing halibut enchiladas with salsa verde at my local Mexican-American place, now run by the 3rd generation of la familia.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be without mine!! Bought one about 3 months ago but made a major mistake and got a small one!! I have been advised to think of it as a miniature fan oven!! Frozen chips are wonderful but baked potatoes are good too, started in the microwave and crisped in Airfryer. Pastry pies re crisp in 5 minutes, no soggy bottoms!

Here is what we made today. I’m going to post the recipe because it’s soooo good. In fact, it’s so good that we ate them all as we were making them and that’s why I don’t have a photo to post :grin: Ours looked just like the ones in the photos in the recipe. We’re thinking about making more to have ready in the fridge or freezer, but they were easy enough to just make more when we want them (taco Tuesday). They could also be used as crepes.

(ignore all of the special diet info, it doesn’t matter, they are good no matter what)

2 Likes

Oh yum! I will definitely be trying these. But tacos here are with corn tortillas only.

I don’t know if you mean your house or El Paso in general, but, yeah I get it (and am from Texas, as you know). I do love corn tortillas and use them sometimes (always for enchiladas!). But I’m celiac and because of that I get way too much corn in my diet and so I try to eliminate it where/when I can. I also try to eat a lot of almonds for the calcium content :nerd_face:

There’s a company out of Austin called Siete that makes different-floured tortillas. They’re big now and we can get them at WFM here even, but when we were still in Austin they were local and selling at the co-op we belonged to. I got so hooked. Now they cost $8.99 for a small package frozen at Whole Foods here and aren’t available right now anyway. I was so excited to find this recipe because it is the exact same ingredients and turned out exactly like the Siete ones.

Try them for quesadillas! They take quesadillas to a whole new level!

My house but also most places in El Paso it’s corn. Whenever I go elsewhere and get “tacos” on flour tortillas, it’s a no. Stuff in a flour tortilla is a burrito. And quesadillas are with flour tortillas. Stuff in a corn tortilla is a taco.

I look forward to trying these. I don’t have any xanthan gum or tapioca starch so it won’t be today.

Breakfast tacos are usually on flour tortillas. Not in El Paso?

That actually seems to vary a lot from restaurant to restaurant, home to home. The Texas side of my family made them with flour but the Mexican side made them with corn.

Our best taco place here is also where I get quesadillas. The chef-owner is from your great city and the quesadillas are corn.

Damn, I’m getting hungry now :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think you’re right. When I make breakfast tacos at home they are corn but I think places like Rudy’s and Whataburger use flour. When I’ve had breakfast in a flour tortilla it was large and called a burrito (at things like teacher end of year breakfast). The things called breakfast tacos at restaurants are smaller, right?

I’ve never had one with corn tortillas.

When I got back from NZ I bought 2 dozen tamales for the coming lockdown and have been enjoying the first package from the freezer this week for Cinco de Mayo.

1 Like

Yeah, breakfast tacos are regular sized flour tortillas. For me, the difference isn’t in it being corn or flour but it’s all about the size. Burritos are in extra-large “burrito” flour tortillas. Anything in a regular size flour tortilla is a taco. Unless it’s doubled and melted, in which case it’s a quesadilla.

Wait. Unless it’s fried. Then it’s always a chimichanga, regardless the size.

lol. “Texans talk Tex-Mex.” It could be a show.

edit to add: They call breakfast tacos “breakfast roll ups” here. It’s a tortilla with eggs and stuff. Breakfast roll-up my ass.