Kitchen Quarantine: What’cha Cook’n?

Yes, that’s the exception. Liquor can be delivered with food. But Total Wine and more doesn’t deliver directly. I think I’ve found a loophole with the grocery delivery services like Instacart. They are going to deliver my Costco order and it seems that I could have added wine and beer to it. (TX doesn’t allow Costco to sell liquor. :rage:

We can’t even buy beer or wine in the grocery stores here! Everything is at the liquor store only. But it can be delivered at least.

Texas has a reputation for being strict regarding these things but my current state is much stricter and the 2nd strictest I’ve encountered was NYC (other than some of those dry counties y’all still have down there).

Strictest I’ve encountered was Utah. Most the laws make no sense and are just a result of whomever had the deepest pockets for lobbyists.

Surely. They even make coffee hard to get. Or so I hear. I haven’t been to Utah. For obvious reasons. lol

Churches. A bunch of puritan BS. And there are some laws leftover from prohibition. There are some weird ones in NY. There’s something about not selling wine below street level or something like that. And you can’t buy beer and wine under the same roof. And liquor stores can’t sell any food - not even lemons, limes or olives. Having a cocktail party is a huge pita there. lol.

I do feel confident that our governor won’t shut down the liquor stores as some governors have tried during this thing at least. She’s very practical. We have a nephew in Philly that asked if they could come stay with us if PA didn’t open the liquor stores back up. lol

Only slightly off topic, I hope none of you are Scotch whiskey fans. I heard this morning of some turning their hand to producing ethanol for hand sanitisers, with a move towards producing the finished product for the NHS in the next few weeks.

Rubbing it in, so to speak :wink:

Our local craft distillery made about 50 gallons of hand sanitizer and donated it to local health care providers, homeless kitchens and shelters, and first responders.

1 Like

I’ve been going through the freezer, looking for stuff that needs to be used. Pot roast. Shrink wrapped salmon fillets from my neighbor who loves to fish and had filled his freezer. A set of shrink wrapped moose neck bones with a lot of meat left on, about 18 inches long. Once I dig out my 20 quart stock pot it will become moose bone broth. And several quarts of frozen blueberries I had forgotten, that I can mix with stevia and turn into low carb blueberry syrup. I’ve had a soup pot going about 2/3 of the time for the past 3 weeks, so I’ll be able to freeze a couple of gallons of soups or broths in pints.

1 Like

I had about 8 egg whites languishing in the fridge. I’m making Easter meringue nests, or Petit Mont Blancs, that I’m going to fill with freshly whipped cream and a passion fruit coulis stirred in.

Having managed about 20, most will go into boxes onto friends’ doorsteps, as an Easter thought.

I like the sound of moose bone broth, but what’s stevia please?

Had this recipe stolen from me by daughter yesterday. Cheese and onion soda bread, a really quick and easy loaf for when you have no yeast.

500g Plain flour
1 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon bicarbonate of soda
Large pinch of pimientón picante (cayenne or paprika will work fine)
350ml buttermilk
100g finely chopped onion
100g grated Cheddar cheese

Put the over on to 200c, bit less if fan, say 190c or gas mark 6/7.

Sift the flour, salt, bicarb and pimientón into a bowl, gradually mix in the buttermilk until you get a fairly firm dough, I use a palette knife, saves gooey hands. Depending on your flour, you may not use all the buttermilk or you may need to add slightly more (if you run out, just use milk if it’s only a few ml’s).

Mix in the cheese and onion. To be honest, I often just chuck everything in the bowl at one, I really can’t remember if it affected the end result much, so I suspect not.

You want to knead as little as possible, so gently shape into a round, approximately 6" or so in diameter. Cut a pretty deep cross right into the round (helps inside cook) and dust with flour.

Takes around 30/35mins to cook, check it after 20mins and if need be, take 10c off the heat.

When the tapping the bottom sounds hollow, it’s ready.

Buen provecho!

DISCLAIMER :slightly_smiling_face:

I do this just off the top of my head, I’ve never written this recipe down and in reality, it is an amalgam of several other folks recipes. As almost every recipe is.

The base soda bread recipe is tried and tested by many over the years, if you leave out the pimientón, cheese and onion you’ll simply get a bog standard white soda bread, used to known in Ireland as Cake Bread many years ago.

If you have a soda bread recipe you already use, then take your base quantities (and oven temp) from that, and add the cheese, onion and pimientón. If I’ve made any obvious (to experienced bakers) errors typing this up, let me know!

This one works for me, but may not for you first time round. If that happens, tough. Don’t bitch at me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ok, I’m off the roof with a bottle of wine. Happy Good Friday baking.

JF

5 Likes

I just printed your recipe for my husband to try. Thanks, @JohnF.

@JohnF, Virgil made a loaf of your cheese and onion soda bread. It tastes great. The crusty surface is marvelous.

He used cayenne.

He thinks he’ll bake the next loaf at 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and for longer. Maybe for 40 minutes.

Thanks!

3 Likes

De nada. My book is being published sometime early next year, I’ll stick you down for two copies :wink:

JF

3 Likes

I made one earlier this afternoon, although I halved the ingredients for a first time around.

I think I may have put too much bicarbonate of Soda in, on reflection. I don’t think I halved that! I may have also over indulged in @JohnF’s instruction not to over knead. I’ll do a bit more next time.

Anyway, it was delicious, disappearing at such speed I couldn’t take a pic. Crispy on the outside and meltingly crumbly on the inside, perhaps because we ate half soon after it came out of the oven!

I used a satay stick to check if it was cooked enough before removing from the oven finally.

Roger has duly received half in return for Bass, and we await his verdict tomorrow. He was chuffed to bits, but as the boys were both home tonight, I may have to make more tomorrow…

1 Like

It is just a base recipe. So much depends on folks individual ovens when it comes to the actual cooking. Damn I miss my Electrolux steam oven…

Glad you enjoyed.

Oops.

JF

I want to make this! What do you cook it in? I have cast iron skillets and a cast iron dutch oven, would one of those suffice?

Stevia is an herb that is used as a no-carb sweetener to replace sugar. Unlike saccharine, sucralose, or xylitol, stevia is extracted from the leaves of the stevia plant. It has no bitter aftertaste and unlike those others sweeteners is not carcinogenic. You can find it where you find sugar substitutes at your grocery.

2 Likes

Just a regular baking sheet, with a dusting of flour.

JF

1 Like

As @JohnF says, all depends on each individual oven. You’ll need to experiment and practise with a cast iron oven.

Blimey. Who’d have known?

I really overcomplicated that, huh? Thank you!

BTW, I will be making a gluten-free version!! I’ll let you know how it turns out :slight_smile:

1 Like