Kitchen Quarantine: What’cha Cook’n?

Oh yay. I’m interested. I’ll share the results of my gluten free baking later today or tomorrow as well.

2 Likes

I do mini Pavlovas like this! What a great idea to leave them for friends.

1 Like

I would love that!! And I’ve been baking gluten-free for a very long time, if it’s new to you and you have any questions. Bread is new for me but I’ve got the other stuff down and I mostly just adapt regular recipes. Those gluten-free specific recipes usually aren’t as good, IMO.

1 Like

Please! I was thinking of doing the same!

1 Like

Oh gosh, I wish I had a cast iron oven. You can actually see the marks on my kitchen floor where there was one at one point (very old house).

But I was talking about a dutch oven - sometimes breads are cooked in there. You might have a different name for it?

Yup, I was thinking along the lines of an Aga, probably like the one removed from your house!

The Dutch"oven" in your picture would be called a cast iron casserole in the UK. We have one similar but at 5 litres, it’s too bloody heavy for me to use!

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve heard it called that. It seems like one side of my family said dutch oven and the other side said casserole. Interesting.

edit to add: Well, Wikipedia says it’s called a casserole in english-speaking countries except for the US where it’s called a dutch oven. Makes sense. The side of the family that called it a casserole were more recent immigrants (Wales) than the other side.

Fully gluteneous HB buns from last night.

2 Likes

I’ve got my first bun attempt in the oven now. Very frustrating as I had no Apple Cider Vinegar, no recall of what happened to it. Dropped the bottle some time ago and broke it I suppose? I’m attempting to sub in regular flour for coconut flour in my recipe too. So we will see. If they are awful then I’ll just have my cheeseburger tomorrow on the GF ready made loaf bread I bought.

2 Likes

Buns are okay but I need to try again with all listed ingredients. I made a kind of Italian chicken sandwich. I wanted BBQ but have no BBQ sauce. I never had more stuff to cook with in my life and yet am always short something.

3 Likes

This is close to the BBQ sauce I make, which again I just do off the top of my head, so looked for one online with U.S. measurements.

I often add some garlic granules, do it to taste. I use pimentón, so smoked paprika would be the equivalent. I don’t use this much mustard powder, maybe a just a tablespoon.

Forget the instructions :slight_smile:

Put the wet ingredients in a small saucepan over a low heat, once it’s almost at the simmer point add the dry ingredients, sugar first. But don’t add all the sugar, hold some back. I use a balloon whisk, stops lumps.

Taste it as it simmers, if you need more sugar, or vinegar, or in fact any of the other ingredients, now is the time to add them.

A five minutes simmer is really all it needs.

JF

1 Like

Forget the ingredients is the problem. I’m not much of a real cook. So now that I’ve begun to try to cook more at home (which actually started about a year ago) I have more, but not everything. I almost never have every ingredient in a recipe. In this one I have no red wine vinegar. A year ago I would have had no paprika at all much less smoked paprika, or dry mustard. Now I have paprika and mustard. So I need to buy red wine vinegar, rice vinegar and apple cider vinegar just for recipes I’ve read this week. LOL.

However, I do appreciate this and will try it at some point this summer. Last year I bought a new grill and smoker and will have a use for this.

If you’ve got some yeast, here’s another cheese bread that is popular with the local immigrant community here :wink:

Cheese and Walnut Bread

These quantities are enough for two small/medium loaves, or one large one. From experience, for this recipe, two smaller loaves cook better than one large one.

225g white bread flour
225g spelt or rye flour preferably, but wholemeal works as well
7g fast action yeast/12g dried active yeast/25g fresh
10g salt
A good few grinds of black pepper
5g sugar, caster preferably
large pinch of pimientón picante/hot paprika/chilli powder etc
300ml lukewarm water
25ml olive oil
125g grated cheddar
25g grated Parmesan or Gran Padano
60-80g walnuts, chopped, but not into a powder!

If you’re using fast action (easy blend) yeast it goes straight in with the dry ingredients.

For fresh and dried yeast, follow directions on packet.

If you have an electric mixer with a dough hook, or a food processor with a dough blade, add all the dry ingredients (give it a couple of pulses to mix) then at slow speed, add the wet. Once the dough starts to come together, increase the speed until you’ve got happy dough :slightly_smiling_face:

To do it by hand, mix together the flour, salt, pepper, sugar (and fast action yeast if using) and then add the wet. Don’t add the cheese and walnuts until the dough is starting to come together. Knead until you have happy dough.

With both methods, you may need to add a small quantity of water/flour. Different flours are thirstier than others, i.e. they absorb more (or sometimes less) liquid.

Stick it in an oiled bowl, cover with a damp tea cloth or some oiled cling film.

Watch.

And wait.

It’s a slow riser due to the rye/spelt flour, but once roughly doubled, gently take it out of the bowl, divide into two and shape. You don’t want to knock all the air out of it, so a quick knead to give it shape is all you want to do.

Again, you watch.

And wait.

It should almost double in size again, but not quite. What you don’t want to do is over prove it, so give it a poke with your finger, if it immediately springs back its got a bit to go. If it springs back slowly, and not entirely, then it’s ready for the oven.

Give them a good sprinkle of rye flour, then slash the tops fairly deeply as the dough will further expand in the hot oven. Go as deep as you like, you can see two at front of mine weren’t really deep enough.

250c/Gas mark furnace hot to begin.

Put a small baking tray in the the bottom of the over, and just before you put the dough in throw a couple of ice cubes in, or some boiling water from the kettle. Steam is good for bread, keeps the outside moist for the first few minutes.

Turn down to 220c/Gas mark whatever.

Watch, and wait.

You should get a good oven spring, i.e. the loaf will rise further.

Ready when the bottom sounds hollow when tapped, any time from 25mins onward for the two small ones, 35mins for one large. If any exposed cheese looks like it’s burning, you can lower the oven temp to 200c.

Essentially, this a basic bread recipe with a few additions. If you have your own bread recipe, use it and just add the extras and swap out the flours, keeping the same proportions.

Oven timings will vary, depending on your oven.

After typing this out, I’ve decided to go and make one now.

Black pepper and fennel seed focaccia anyone?

Buen provecho!

JF

2 Likes

Any vinegar would likely work here, it’s the acid we’re after less than the flavour.

JF

Good to know. And for anyone keeping score at home, I found my apple cider vinegar this morning. Of course. After literally look in every cabinet I possible could have put it in yesterday and giving up. Why it’s in the cabinet and on the shelf with dog supplies I don’t know. I did make my gf buns yesterday with white vinegar. I suppose the missing ingredient is the coconut flour and my efforts to adjust the mix without it.

I had one of the buns toasted this morning with butter and fig jelly and it was tolerable. Like most of these gf breads, it’s better toasted and burns on the edges quicker.

1 Like

After reading this out to the end, I am so glad that I had to retrieve the (then unused for years) breadmaker from my cleaner. Before he found out I’d given it to her.

The draft Christmas shopping list had bread mix on it…

No idea if this will work in a breadmaker, maybe without the walnuts it might be OK. I also don’t know if the temp in a bread machine goes high enough for the parmesan to melt.

Sorry m’dear,

JF

2 Likes

I do a lot of apocalypse cooking myself. Here’s some since it started:

There’s plenty more where that came from if anyone wants to see more… :rofl: :laughing:

5 Likes

The Big Confession!

I have reached the point where I am sick to death of cooking. The whole day seems to revolve around food, eating, loading, then emptying the dishwasher, and cleaning the kitchen up afterwards.

I am definitely not cut out to be a Kitchen Goddess.

But thankfully, the sun is nearly over the yard arm.

2 Likes

Dang it, now I’m hungry.

1 Like