Just for fun: worst suggestion EVER included in a review

It is stated that central heating is not available after the outside themperature reaches a certain point (I cannot say what exactly the time is, but mid-May is basically summer over here, and that was not an unseasonably cold May). Mind you, me and my family are usually feeling rather cold so we keep the heating system running even after most of our neighbours have shut it down. :slight_smile: The temperature was more than comfortable, never going below the room temperature (20-21), even during the night. If guest still thinks this is not enough, I think that’s on him/her. Wear a pajama instead of just T-shirt if you’re still cold during the night, for example.

Or you think we are obliged to provide guests with whatever temperature they find suitable, even if this means that they want to heat on plus 25 degrees Celsius in order to be able to walk around with wet hair and in their underwear? To me that seems rather unreasonable. Hotels usually also have a set temperature to their environmental control so you cannot heat in the summer, or cool the place in the winter…

“Comfortable level” means different things for different people, but I think there are some reasonable limits that we can and should agree on.

1 Like

I must have misunderstood the problem. The guest was cold, you suggested that they wear a sweater around the house, and an extra blanket, and the outside temperature at night was within your house info? That seems reasonable.

The guest was cold, you suggested that they wear a sweater around the house, and an extra blanket, and the outside temperature at night was lower than your house info? Then you should accommodate the guest as per your house info and make sure the interior temp is within your info guidelines.

What do you mean, the temperature was within my house info? I cannot predict what will be the temperature, but if the temperature inside falls below room temperature, we heat. Usually we like to err on the safe side, so we heat even for a week or so when there is really no need, as the temperature is high enough to keep the room temperature level inside, though not consistently so, as on some days it might still be lower. Then we heat in order to make sure no one feels uncomfortable. I can imagine that someone can still feel not comfortable enough to be in short sleeves within the room temperature range (I don’t, I need an extra pair of sleeves), but then they should wear an extra layer, and not simply assume that the temperature dropped and now it has to be heated. My mom has problem with her circulation and she sometimes lies under the blanket when there’s 25 degrees inside. Should we heat in order to accommodate this? I find it ridiculous.

This post is great, I’m going to keep referring to it for giggles and sanity checks. :grin:

I was freaking out the other day because a guy tagged me for “accuracy” stating “size of house”. Now I’m not at the house but I’m pretty sure my wonderful neighbors would have told me if half the house slid down the mountain… :wink:

Thanks to all who started this and keep posting!

2 Likes

@Inna

Your house. Your rules. Your Heat. Your air-conditioning.

A sweater or extra blanket isn’t going to keep my lily-white-behind warm while I bathe or change clothes. If I must read a book under 2 blankets, while wearing gloves, I would mention it in my review of your home.

Conversely, I am a menopausal woman. Staying warm is NOT my current problem. If I am miserable and sweating because the host (who is receiving my payment) didn’t want to accommodate my comfort, I would mention that too. (hot flashes aren’t part of the comfort equation; No host could help those. I’ve actually stood barefooted on a concrete patio in 20 degrees F for relief–it felt soooooo good.)

If it is in your rules “no heat unless it is below ##” or “no air-conditioning unless it is warmer than ##”. I would know before I booked and shouldn’t complain.

2 Likes

I had one of those too. My guests from a few weeks ago suggested to me ( Not in the Review ) that we should Heat the Pool.
I think pool heaters cost $5000 + and the monthly use fees. The heater would be dead before we ever recouped that money that investment. We book 52 long week(ends) a year and solid weeks unless it is off season.
Not worth is to me in the money, nor the upkeep.

3 Likes

I know this is an old thread, but I just stumbled on it and its just too entertaining to die

These come to mind. Thankfully they were all in the private section of the review or mentioned to me in person.

• A gentlemen in his late 50’s suggested that I get an electric heated mattress pad. The thought of that just makes me sweat! I guess the 4 extra blankets I provide, including a down comforter didn’t cut it.

• Mow my lawn more often. Twice weekly is not enough?

• Cut down my trees so the mountain views would be better. Sorry, you’ll have to settle for “seasonal” mountain views, as in winter only.

• My lightbulbs in the home are too bright. (???) Whatever stoner!

2 Likes

Guest complained there was no gas for the grill.

It says in the text and in the photo caption “BYO wood or charcoal, this is not a gas grill”.

Considering he wasn’t smart enough to figure that out by looking at the BBQ pit, I am really glad there is no gas there on the property… bless his heart.

6 Likes

I had someone suggest that we paint our huge Victorian. I would have been glad to if I had upwards of $30,000 to do so. Also have had people say that they wish they knew there was traffic outside. Our address is Main St!

3 Likes

Small kitchenette with a low timber shelf unit with microwave, pod coffee machine and toaster on top.
“ there would be more room if you took that unit out”
Where do you suggest I put the appliances?
Dead silence and he was a doctor!

1 Like

I had a guest suggest that we get carbon monoxide detectors because she thought she smelled poisonous gas…

1.) We have carbon monoxide detectors both on the main level and in our basement Airbnb. We test them weekly.
2.) Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas.

Thank goodness she wrote this in private feedback and not in the actual review! My only regret is not being more sarcastic in my response back :wink:

1 Like

Many people are under the impresion that CO detectors detect gas leaks, which they don’t.
Sort of like they think they’re allergic to gluten when they aren’t celiacs. Misinformation and false asumptions abound.

3 Likes

I’m back on this post a couple years later and with an even better comment … See what hosting experience gets you? Sarcasm, that’s what! :wink:

So, I hosted a get together of 4 lady friends in their 70s. Omg, thank goodness that they were new to Airbnb and didn’t know how to leave a review and just left this in the comments.

The house listing states, and shows pictures, of the loft bedroom without a door. There are bags in each trash can. And post-its? Like the ones by the phone and in the drawers? :woman_facepalming:

Some times I think I host so I can afford the wine/chocolate/ice cream (pick your favorite) that it takes to keep me hosting …

6 Likes

I put AC available May 15-Oct 1. You might consider putting dates when heat is on or below a certain temp.

A sink in my kitchenette that does not have a sink. I provide pictures, and have it written 3 times in listing and in my welcome letter I remind guest that because I don’t have a sink I provide paper plates, etc. but do offer real coffee mugs and wine glasses upon request. This was an old bedroom that I converted into a kitchenette and yet I’m told all the time that I should have a sink in the kitchenette. There is one in the bathroom but I don’t want guests washing dishes in the bathroom sink.

2 Likes

I recently stayed at a Hilton with large dorm sized refrigerator, microwave & coffee pot. The only sink was the bathroom. Your situation is comparable. People don’t think of the cost and the floor space required. Roll on with what you are doing.

Afterthought—Similar to your offering, drinking glasses & paper coffee cups were provided.

One guest commented on the small shower in my 1912 home. They were clear that they didn’t have any issues with the shower size, but if you were a large person, you may have issues. They recommended that I remove the antique claw foot tub form the bathroom and enlarge my shower.

I actually know that about 50 years ago the room was a beauty salon and I know where the sink trap is so it wouldn’t be as costly to install a sink BUT I like how easy it is to clean the space because there is no heavy duty cooking. I can turn over the space in an hour and once a month I do a deep cleaning. It also get gets that are out of the suite and with shorter stays which I also like. So after careful consideration I decided that I like the set up.

1. People stayed in my Central London flat on the hottest day in the UK ever, and asked if I had thought about just supplying a top sheet instead of a duvet. I replied saying how lucky he had been to have warm weather on his holiday, that I had supplied fans and that he could have just used the duvet cover and taken out the warm duvet.

2. I had Americans staying in my Central London flat, where you can walk everywhere, and they said you had to take an Uber to get to a restaurant. I have three restaurants within 1 minutes walk and about 100 restaurants within 10 minutes walk and I give a list of personal recommendations for restaurants in the Information Pack. Do Americans really not walk at all?

1 Like

Not enough that’s for sure. Especially the ones used to living in the suburbs :rofl: (Fellow American here)

1 Like