Just for fun: worst suggestion EVER included in a review

Airbnb - just make the bed and give the bathroom a bit of a sw

2 Likes

If you are referring to the Mitsubishi mini splits, yes, those are very nice. They are also well over $1000 each plus installation!

I have a friend, also an Aurbnb host, who continually reminds me “you cannot fix stupid”
:smile::smile::joy:

6 Likes

We got an energy rebate of over $800 when we installed. Helped a lot. I’m glad they make these things. I only mentioned because I’d never heard of such a thing. We would be out of business without one. We had to turn the furnace up to 80 for the guests to be comfortable downstairs the first night we hosted.

2 Likes

Someone was idiotic enough - more than once - to complain about the age of your house? As an actual complaint?

1 Like

Oh, those arrogant urban millennials and their obsession with empty white rooms with one plant and a live edge table. They all think they are God’s gift to design and aesthetics. Did they or did they not see photos before they came? Either way, they can shut their yap.

5 Likes

Our cottage is slightly multilevel with a step up into the living room, down into the dining room and back up to the new addition. It’s one of the most charming things about the whole place and it is typical Northeast-vacation-mountain/lake-cottage. One couple from Texas thought it was dangerous and suggested I have it changed.

3 Likes

Yes, 3 reviews said they were disappointed that my building looked old. One said “the entire neighbourhood looked aged”. My place is in the historic centre of the city! They all say that it is lovely and modern inside. Since I’ve put the date of the house in the first line of description, the negative comments have stopped.

4 Likes

Ah yes, those damn pines … we (mainland Spain) had a guest who was “unhappy with the pine needles in the swimming pool when it is windy” . Oh, believe me, lady, so are we …!

5 Likes

Very inconsiderate of you to refuse to flatten your house out for your guests!

1 Like

I guess everyth8ng in Texas has to be flat!

1 Like

Our last house had a step down to the den from LR/kitchen level and, like clockwork, just about every – ahem – more mature guest and relative visiting for the first time fell off it. I actually put a strip of contrast tape on the edge. One of your guests may have stubbed their toe or slipped off. Of course it’s ridiculous to suggest you raise/lower your floors, but you might want to put a little caution note up “For your safety, watch your step. Floor levels vary.” That could protect you in event of an turned ankle complaint or something.

OOPS meant to send this to Catskills!

1 Like

Glad you wrote everything “in” Texas has to be flat (rather than “from Texas”) because I had a roommate from Texas and she certainly wasn’t. :grin:

3 Likes

This is not exactly a suggestion but is a silly complaint. It is the height of the pollen season in North & South Carolina. In the private feedback a guest complained she had to clean the pollen off the porch furniture so she could enjoy reading a book out-of-doors.

Yep-a screen porch is considered “out-of-doors” so subject to pollen, heat, cold, & rain. I’m not sure what she expects me do. I thanked her for cleaning the porch and asked if she enjoyed her time.

1 Like

It’s funny but until I read about your pollen, I had completely forgot about the pollen-fall at our lakefront place at Lake Tahoe (which we sold a few weeks ago). It wouldn’t happen every year but every 2nd or 3rd year for a couple of months during the summer - powdery yellow pollen from the pine trees - on the car, porch and deck and awning…even on the waters of the Lake and beach…everywhere! Had to keep the doors and windows closed for a month or two and then squirt everything down.

Glad it’s only a memory now.

3 Likes

@SandyToes

Pine pollen is everywhere. My silver gray car looks yellow!!!

1 Like

Glad you wrote everything “in” Texas has to be flat (rather than “from Texas”) because I had a roommate from Texas and she certainly wasn’t.

Yes, everything is big in Texas!

2 Likes

I had the same thing this year in SC with the yearly coating of pollen.
I have 2 houses. One has a screened porch.
Guest in feedback let me know that
the screened porch was not as clean as the rest of the house,
but she swept it .
I did not respond, nor thank her. There is no way to keep pollen out during the influx.
I let it go.

3 Likes

I had a guest expecting me to turn on the central heating in mid-May, because it get’s a bit chilly during the evening. What happened to hacks such as wearing a cardigan and using a blanket? I refused to turn the whole system on for her and vent out all the radiators, and offered her extra blankets.

She wrote this one more time in her private feedback and downgraded me, probably for this. I also didn’t reply. I mean, what is there to say?

I think providing comfortable temps in your space should not become a problem for the guest. If the temp of the space was too cold, offering extra blankets does not help when undressing, using the space, etc. Unless you specify ‘no heat until x’ or ‘bring extra clothes’ your guest expects comfort levels that do not require ‘hacks’.

3 Likes