It's a Perfect 74 Degress and Guest Wants Air Conditioning!

From this forum, I’ve learned that many people are shocked at the temperature that is comfortable for another. 63 degrees is my perfect temperature.

1 Like

My thermostat is now locked. No one is running it at 63 in the Catskills. Especially when it is 60 outside. And the windows are open. That is my red line and I am will meet them with fire and fury the likes of which they have never seen. :wink:

8 Likes

They would do the same thing in Hawaii. I am always so curious why someone would come to Hawaii and close and lock all the doors and windows. You don’t want to hear the surf or feel the breeze??

I think some people don’t get Hawaii. One person who did was Mark Twain:

"No alien land in all the world has any deep strong charm for me but that one, no other land could so longingly and so beseechingly haunt me, sleeping and waking, through half a lifetime, as that one has done. Other things leave me, but it abides; other things change, but it remains the same. For me the balmy airs are always blowing, its summer seas flashing in the sun; the pulsing of its surfbeat is in my ear; I can see its garlanded crags, its leaping cascades, its plumy palms drowsing by the shore, its remote summits floating like islands above the cloud wrack; I can feel the spirit of its wildland solitudes, I can hear the splash of its brooks; in my nostrils still lives the breath of flowers that perished twenty years ago.”

1 Like

Twain spent many a summer in the Catskills, as well. First as the guest of artist, Candace Wheeler, and then at his own cottage, “The Balsam” at the Onetora Club, the original buildings of which, are now sold at a high price and not only don’t have AC, most don’t have heat.

1 Like

We keep all our windows and the back doors open as we like fresh air. Our current guest said that she feels nervous about the house being so open because she is fearful of break ins. To get in our front door or windows you’d have to get past our dogs who have opinions about strangers entering the house. To get in our back door you’d have to come through a neighbor’s yard, climb a six foot wood fence and again get past our dogs. We’ve lived here since 1995 with no incidents.

2 Likes

74 degrees or 23 celsuis would be really warm for me, it’s 18 celsuis /64 f and I have a fan fully blowing and all the windows open now, I feel like am starting an early menopause !!!

74 would pack every beach in Ireland, then people would realise that our water temperature is about 11 celsuis or 51 fahrenheit. We had a few days of 25/26 and fans/ice-creams were sold out everywhere.

I am a total wimp when it comes to heat

6 Likes

The feeling you have while waiting to see a review… not pleasant at all! But keep us posted will you?
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread and I don’t want it to end.
I’m hoping the review will be cordial and your biggest fear will be put to shame. Fingers crossed for civility :smiley:

4 Likes

Same in Britain too. At least as you go up north.

Well, as expected, her review was scathing. But fortunately, so was mine!

She was the first guest EVER who gave us 1 star. I’ve been hosting for over 10 years (before Airbnb even came along), and I’ve never had such a review.

I’ve had two 3-star reviews over the years, a few 4-stars and mostly 5-stars. So, fortunately, with more than 200 reviews on Air, her little 1-star will hardly be noticed and it won’t hurt us a bit. But my bad review of her, being her only review, will surely be noticed.

Honestly, I don’t know why people are so dumb. She must have known that if she just left it alone and didn’t leave a review that I would have done the same - since I hadn’t written one before she did. And she would have saved herself having a horrible review as her only review. But she just had to get in the last word and now she’s sitting there with one horrible review. And we’re sitting here with one terrible review out of 200 mostly great ones.

Oh! And in her review, she didn’t even mention the air conditioning! She just made up a lot of other stuff that had nothing to do at all with her real complaint. And her real complaint wasn’t even the air conditioning really. Her real complaint was that I didn’t jump to her every command and treat her as if I were her humble servant, willing to snap, bend and contort to her every whim.

I agree completely with you on that Kona. To me a big part of the magic of Hawaii is the gorgeous weather. The one time I was there, I was impressed by the fact that big hotels had completely open lobbies. I guess they can close them up if the weather gets bad. But it left me with the impression that for a big part of the year the weather is so perfect you never need to close up and crank up the artificial climate control systems! It did seem heavenly! I mean what’s better than being able to leave all your windows and doors OPEN!!

And to hear the surf - absolutely - who doesn’t want to hear that!?

4 Likes

Ugggghhhhhhhhhhh, I just hate guests sometimes!!! But fortunately, Future guests will be able to see right through that drivel and continue to book with you. Don’t worry, but it’s irritating beyond words.

I learned from a review I received from recent bad guests (I also left them a scathing review) that it’s much much easier for hosts to recover from one bad review, which new guests will perceive as an anomaly ) than it is for the guest to recover. Thank you for reviewing the diva honestly so that the rest of us can avoid her. Do you want to add her to the bad guest lounge? Although almost no need since you reviewed her honestly for the world to see.
She must be seething!! Let’s hope the temperature is hot where she is to make her misery worse!!!
:grimacing::rofl::+1::rage::dizzy_face::-1::smirk_cat:

3 Likes

Yes, regarding the open air lobbies. They are a Hawaii specialty. I don’t have have central heat or air and it’s one thing that costs us less than the mainland!

This clever woman wouldn’t have the last word if she reviewed before you did, would she! :wink:

This is far easier to stomach than when you write a good review and they smack you in theirs.

I’m reminded of a joke about a certain member of the British aristocracy, a countess or something, who goes to see a doctor.

The doctor, busy writing something, quickly glances at her, says “Do take a seat” and turns his glance back to the sheet.
Of course, she’s fuming; she goes: “Don’t you realize you impudent quack, I’m the countess of blah-blah”.
The doctor calmly looks up and says “Alright then, take two seats!”

3 Likes

I observed this a while ago. Guests have far fewer reviews than the typical host, so a bad one will stand out. A lot more water flows under the host’s bridge!

And let’s hope the Air Conditioning is not working :rofl::laughing::rofl::grin::smile::rofl:

3 Likes

You get the last laugh here. No host will accept a booking from her.

3 Likes

1 star review over temperatures :roll_eyes:
Sometimes you really get to hate guests!

May she one day get stuck in an elevator for hours with an old grumpy man who’ve eaten cabbage all week

1 Like

LOL. Or a young whiny twat with the same diet!

1 Like

Young people have more control over their bowel system. Old ones let them slip all the time :grinning:

1 Like

Let the mystery be.

I know you said they are new but is it also possible that their other host(s) also skipped reviewing them for exactly this reason? We all have different hosting styles. But I urge you to please, please, please review all your guests, especially ones like these. Please.

1 Like

I LOVE that about Hawaii! It’s so amazing!

1 Like

That is possible. But she did tell me this was her first Airbnb trip when I ‘accused’ her of not understanding what Airbnb was. She said it was indeed her first time on Air, but she had used other home share services.

1 Like