It's a Perfect 74 Degress and Guest Wants Air Conditioning!

Haha! So, you say you have heat, but whether or not you turn it on depends on the season and the temperature!? Well, you’d be in trouble with my guest who told me just that. She said that we said nothing in our listing about the use of the air conditioning being determined by the outside TEMPERATURE!!! She literally said that!

1 Like

Stick me with a fork. I am done!

4 Likes

Although your guest didn’t state it in the most graceful way; we know that depending on what temperature one is used to, one may feel the need to heat or cool differently than the host. In Los Angeles, CA, we’ve been having temperatures in the mid-seventies to low eighties. We’ve had guests from warmer climates who are chilly especially if they’re not used to how much a location that isn’t very humid cools off at night. Personally, I’m most comfortable from the mid-sixties to the low seventies. If a listing had air conditioning, I would want to be permitted to use it if the temperature was in the high seventies.

2 Likes

I agree with you ElleN. I would want to be permitted to use it too if the temp was in the high 70s. That’s why I wouldn’t book a shared place. I would only do whole home. Because I can’t stand it when someone else is in control of the temperature!

I’m like you with the temperature - anything from the upper 60s to the low 70s is good in the summer.

On the day in question here though, the temperature was in the low 70s - and on top of that - the humidity was very low as well. So it felt really cool and perfect.

And you’re so right about guests from different climates. We had some German guests staying here at the same time as this woman and they actually came out to tell me it was a little too cool for them. (They must be having some bad global warming in Germany this year)!

1 Like

Alright, you guys aren’t gonna believe what this woman wrote to me. Fortunately, she did it through the Airbnb messaging system, after I wrote to her there to make sure everything was documented for Airbnb’s sake. And fortunately, half of what she said is provably false.

But when a guest gets upset with one thing, this just goes to show how they start making more things up to make you look as bad as possible.

In her response to me, she made the following, ludicrous charges…

She said, that we should have mentioned, “in the details of your listing that the guest has to carry their baggage all the way to the 3rd floor. It’s very vague and hardly understandable.”

Okay, so she said what we said in our listing about being on the 3rd floor was very vague and hardly understandable. I now quote for you exactly what our listing has always said about that… and tell me if it is at all vague or “hardly understandable”.

In our listing we say this:

“We’re on the third floor of a walk-up building - which means there is no elevator, so yes, there are three flights of stairs to climb.”

Then she said, “for your information the extra mattress in the room is extremely uncomfortable. I didn’t know it will be a air mattress and not a normal one.”

But here’s what our listing says about the beds:

Sleeping arrangements
Bedroom 1
1 double bed, 1 air mattress

It couldn’t be clearer that it’s an air mattress! It says, “AIR MATTRESS”!! I’m sure it was seem uncomfortable if you were expecting a real bed. But not only do we say there is a bed and an air mattress for a thrid person, the pictures of the room show only one bed and it’s clear from them that there is no room for another BED!

She is right that it’s not a normal air mattress. It’s a premium one. We buy on the more expensive end for our guests’ comfort.

Then, the one that gets me the most, she said, “when I booked I was not told if the air conditioner will be switched on depending on the temp outside.”

Seriously!!?? Who doesn’t turn on AC based on the outdoor temperature???

5 Likes

Madly dashes to edit listing.

2 Likes

She is gearing up for a full refund! Working herself into a frenzy. Pretty soon, her head will explode. When does she leave?

3 Likes

Haha! Didn’t have to this time though. And I hope Airbnb can see the last edit date so they’ll know it has always said that.

She left the day before yesterday. I’m actually shocked she hasn’t written a scathing review yet. Usually, when people have a bad experience they can’t wait to write a bad review.

So, I’m waiting to see what happens. Will she be smart and realize if she writes a review it will prompt me to write a review? She knows if I do, it will be extremely negative. So, if she’s smart, she won’t write one at all. And if she doesn’t, I won’t either. Although I’m going to have it pre-written in case she does do it at the last minute.

Or, will she wait until the very last minute to try and pre-empt me from leaving her one? I doubt she’s that sophisticated about Airbnb as this is her first Air trip. So I’m guessing she’ll probably write it in the next few days.

As far as her gearing up to request a full refund, if she does, I hope she uses the reasons she put in her message. Because they are demonstrably false and it’s easily provable to Airbnb since most of what she complained about was what she didn’t think our listing said. She never hinted at asking for a refund so I have a feeling that’s not going to be her next move. But I’ll let you all know!

1 Like

We have 2 houses we rent out In my house where we live I wrote in my rules: we will not run AC below 74F.
In separate house I can’t control it and my bill is exactly twice more. Which sucks but what can I do. I charge good money for that house , just calculated that in business expense

1 Like

Funny… I thought of it as being the other way around. If it’s a whole-home or private unit they can keep it at whatever temperature they prefer since it doesn’t affect anyone else. But in a shared situation there should be basic guidelines around what the average temperature should be.

For example, at work (shared space), the heat comes on when it reaches 67 and the air conditioning kicks in when it reaches 74. Other people might have a different gauge and we cannot ALL have our own way.

This is a good solution. We have individual heaters, plus space heaters with oscillating fans that can help to control the temp or air flow in individual rooms.

So, I have a question for everybody. I can’t tell if this woman has left a review for us or not. We have 5-6 days left to review each other but I can’t see any indication that she has left us a review yet. And I haven’t gotten any emails saying she’s left a review. But when I was checking that, I found I haven’t gotten an email notifying us a guest has written a review since May 12th. Yet we’ve had a lot of guest-initiated reviews since then.

When I look at the Air dashboard it just says, “Review - Name” “Expires in 6 days - Write review” But there’s no indication there that she has left a review.

So, does anyone know if Air is still sending out emails when guests write reviews? And do you know if they give any indication in the host dashboard when a guest has initiated the reviews?

I am getting these emails regularly. May 12th? Really? That seems “glitchy” to me.

Log on to Airbnb from the computer and web browser. The first tab has an option “Reviews”. There are two windows, the first one will show you all the guests that have left a review for you. If you have left one for the guest, the review will be visible. On the second window you get all the guests that you have pending to write a review for.

1 Like

Yea you should be able to see the norificarion that they wrote you rhw review

Yep, saw it. She has written one. Can’t wait to read it - in a few days!

Thanks for your help guys.

Wait, you are notgoing to review this person? I would!!! I don’t want her crazy demanding self trying to book my place in Hawaii. Leave an honest review!

2 Likes

I don’t know why I haven’t jumped in on this thread before now, because the bane of my host existence these last few guests has been AC. I host remotely and I have exterior security cameras. I’ve been vexed by guests who come to the Catskill Mountains of NY - lately blessed with cooler days and even cooler nights, I mean nights between 50F and 60F - and folks inside with the AC running all effing day long.

The cottage can get musty if the AC runs day in and day out, so in-between guests I do have my cleaner open all the windows and turn on the four overhead fans. I want the smells of summer to waft through the cottage. It’s the Catskill Mountains!

Now, mind you, the cottage has a LOT of windows and they are all casement (crank-out) windows, so it is hard to miss. With all of them open some rooms almost feel like a big screened-in porch. My last three guests and turned on the AC WITHOUT CLOSING THE WINDOWS. One renter turned down the AC to 63. And I mean they left it that way for hours. Sixty-effin’-three. I have since locked my Nest thermostat so it can’t go below 72. I had to text one guest and ask them to close the windows if they chose to run the AC and they left me snotty private feedback. (They also snuck in an extra guest.)

My next move is to add a label above the thermostat (my Dymo label maker gets used a LOT) that says CLOSE ALL WINDOWS BEFORE ENGAGING THE AC.

Honestly, I’m flummoxed by people sometimes.

3 Likes

We recently had mini splits installed in 3 bedrooms. They are wonderfully efficient and I am no longer freaking out about guests cooling and heating to their heart’s content! The only problem is, since the 3 heads are running off one main unit outside, they must all be either on “cooling” mode or on “heating” mode. The outside unit can’t do both at the same time. While it never in a million years occurred to me that this could ever be a problem, already, we’ve had issues.

In the northeastern US, the summer days can be warm (75 to 95 F.), but the nights are cool (50 to 70 F.). The guest in the upstairs room, who hails from TX, is freezing at night and wants his unit to heat. The downstairs guests, who are from northern Canada, won’t open their lovely, large windows that face the quiet and private backyard. So they are too warm at night and want their unit to be on “cooling”.

I can’t win.

2 Likes

I shake my head with renters who want the air conditioning on. Honestly, I don’t know why they bothering coming to the Catskills. BUT, if they want to run the AC they can do it. I draw the line at running the AC with the windows open. I’m sorry, but that will result in a text of phone call from me. It is inconsiderate and rude.

4 Likes