It's a Perfect 74 Degress and Guest Wants Air Conditioning!

Is it possible they need AC because of allergies?

Also, if it’s already sufficiently cool in the apartment, how much will the AC actually run?

I don’t see the problem? It’s like saying you can’t turn the lights on during the day?

I’m in Seattle right now it’s cold outside but I can’t open the hotel windows and even if I could I’ve seen too many rats so I won’t.

I sleep better with AC I live in Florida rarely it’s cold but I still leave my AC on to get rid of the humidity.

On the bright note it shouldn’t cost much to run the AC if it’s not hot :innocent:

Just saw this post is 2 years old :rofl:

1 Like

I 100% agree with you and that is my pet peeve of the season. I constantly get guests dropping the AC down to 69 degrees when it is 71 degrees outside. Lately it has been in the 50’s outside and my home is very well insulated so it will still maintain 74 or 75 degrees and some of these people are still turning on the AC the moment they walk in the door when opening a window would dramatically decrease the temperature. Get a NEST thermostat. Best purchase ever.

2 Likes

Comfortable temperature varies from person to person. My husband and I would both be too warm in our house at 74 degrees for sleeping.

1 Like

Can you prevent them from adjusting the Nest thermostat manually?

Yes. It will allow you to set temperature perimeters. It’s called “Google NEST Learning Thermostat.” It’s approximately $267 and it’s well worth the money. It will also enable you to control the thermostat from wherever you are and monitor it. I try to allow a certain amount of freedom with the HVAC within reason because I want my guests to feel comfortable, but I get some guests who set the AC to 69 and then leave and will be gone all day. Being able to monitor it will allow you to turn off the AC when you know no one is there.

1 Like

I use Nest and I LOVE IT. I give them very narrow parameters for both heating and cooling. It is the only way. During the lovely cool breezy days in spring and fall. I turn off air conditioning all together. They have to ask me for it.

I’ll offer my $0.02 to this 2 year old post:

Notwithstanding of the outdoor temperature, I am not comfortable sleeping with windows open. I use AC or heat as needed. If that is not possible then I wouldn’t book or I’d check out.

From a GUEST perspective, IF it is noted that AC is offered, I expect to be able to use amenities, to suit my comfort, as I would in my own home. There has been some discussion in other topics where it was noted that the use of AC varies greatly by guest and those who don’t use it, usually offset the costs of those who do.

From a HOST perspective, I allow my guests to set the temperature that best suits them. The ONLY times I have ever adjusted my guest’s temperature (via the Nest mobile app) is when I knew they were out for an extended period … but I did turn it back to where it was prior to their return.

Worth Noting: I lived most of my life in California and now Arizona; AC in both locations is pretty much constant, even more so in Arizona. One gets used to it and expects it. When I lived in NYC for a couple of years, I also rarely opened the windows -> 2 reasons: Noise and Soot.

2 Likes

I agree with one exception. Some guests may set the AC so low that you run the risk of the compressor freezing up. Like 62 degrees. Some range limits may be needed to protect the unit.

1 Like

I agree with your assessment … and have experienced similar especially when exterior temperatures are in excess of 110 degrees F. :hot_face:

BUT I’ve learned that those guests, who do that, are not necessarily looking to get the temperature to 62 degrees Fahrenheit, but rather mistakenly think by setting the thermostat to a lower temperature will cool the place down quicker.

In those cases, I advise exactly what you state, and that lowering the temperature incrementally by a 1 or 2 degrees at a time, will avoid the freeze up and will eventually achieve the temperature that they are most comfortable.

That is exactly what my AC guy told me. I lock it so it can’t be below 69.