Issue with Shared Space and Patio Area

I’m actually not too sure how that works. Hope they can’t leave a review.

OK…since you said she did not mention anything about the 8 guest BBQ till day before checkout…then she probably just decided to cut the trip short and visit the family members two hours away, and stay there for free.

I would show the rep. your correspondence of ONLY approving 4 relatives to cut fruit, and point out that you don’t even allow parties/events. Not sure of your cancellation policy and she might get one day refunded depending on which policy you have. But I think the guest was trying to come up with reasons to justify why she chose to leave early. I take back what I said earlier about her assuming you wouldn’t be around like the other host. I call BS, and she just couldn’t think of any other reasons to complain.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure they can. Be prepared! Do you have more bookings coming up? If so, and you get a notification that they have left a review, leave it until the last minute to review them back. That way, if it’s a bad one, at least it may appear underneath some more recent good ones. And be very careful what you say in response. Come back on here for advice if it happens. Apologies if I’m giving unwanted advice but I’ve seen it happen so many times - a new-ish host gets a bad review, responds in anger/upset and BAM! Nobody wants to book with you anymore. It’s sad to see :frowning:

2 Likes

These “guests” are yanking your chain. Why did they get a refund of a couple of days? Why did they assume they could have a BBQ? How did fruit cutting permission for 4 guests another day in the week turn into a demand for 8 family members to show for a bbq? Something here is way way off base. Yes, you could be more clear that the Patio is shared, …we already covered that issue and you agreed…but I call bullshit on the rest of this routine. Get on the phone and get you cause placed, and make sure that review is not allowed. It is breaking your rules.

4 Likes

Thing is, though, that it WASN’T in the rules that guests of guests are not allowed. I’m a seasoned host and no stranger to the tricks that can get played. This doesn’t seem like one, to me. It’s a case of newbie host meets newbie guests and a whole load of misunderstanding. To go in heavy-handed would be a mistake, in my opinion, for a new host that needs good reviews to get going.

1 Like

I politely and with respect, disagree. I have 2 houses and have been STR for 6 years. He stated no parties. There is no question that 8 people is a “party”. His parameters were stated and clear. He has a lot of excellent reviews, …enough that he is NOT a Newbie . Heavy handed with these leeches is a-ok in my book. The guests took advantage and had no idea they were sharing space. This is a great op to establish boundaries.

Fair do’s but didn’t he add the ‘no parties’ bit after the advice received on this thread? I looked again at the listing and he has 15 reviews and is a superhost. I must have been thinking about someone else! Still, I would say that is still pretty newbie-ish. 15 is not “a lot” of reviews!

No that is not correct. Read his post entirely. His listing always has said :
I do state no parties or events in my listing.
And he is not that new. Fact is these guests were manipulative.

2 Likes

You should of had your friends another time. Id be furious too. Sory dear but your in the wrong. It was rather unthinking of u but im sure u didnt mean it to be,.
Just excited! and happy new home

They filed their complaint with the resolution center and this is their letter to Airbnb. FYI, I don’t watch TV much and just watched the French Open Finals that Sunday and maybe an hour or 2 max in the evenings. I did have a couple family members over on a weeknight for 2 hours as she mentioned.

David, I have filed a dispute regarding the issue I spoke with you about on Sun., June 5. My partner & I were extremely inconven-ced and uncomfortable living as “roommates with limited privileges” in your home during our stay. You monopolized the only TV set. You entertained your guests on your “gorgeous patio” twice during our stay (June 5, 2-8 pm; see attached message of intention you sent 5/31. Plus another night you entertained a young couple with 2 toddler on your patio.)

I am requesting a refund of 1/2 the fee we paid. The fact is, for $718, we only got unrestricted use of one bedroom and 1/2 bath during our stay. Your efforts to refund us for leaving 2 days early were neither requested by us nor do we consider the amount you agreed to refund ($44) a fair compensation for the inconvenience and discomfort we experienced during the entire time we stayed with you (June 1 - June 6).

BACKUP DOCUMENTATION:
Here is what you wrote to us May 31 regarding your intention to entertain on the patio June 5: "Hi, I’m actually having a housewarming BBQ on Sunday and expecting 10-25 people to be on my patio area from 2-8pm. You are welcome to join us. That’s the only day I plan on using the space much so you can have them over any other day and it’s not a problem. Thanks, David

These are definitely whole house or hotel people. Keep us posted.
I also looked at your listing again and I think you place too much emphasis on the patio. If guests are coming for the patio they won’t expect to share it with you. I also would restrict the use of all other areas so you don’t have to feel restricted in your own home. At $49. Your rental is lovely and a very good value without the extras. If people are nice you will naturally share with them and it will be a privilege instead of a right. IMHO

1 Like

Very interested in ABB’s response. The idea that you entertained people at your own home while they were booked with you! It’s inconceivable to me that they think for $50 a night (or any amount really) they get to take over your entire house and patio. I know you’ve changed your listing but even the original with “Private Patio” shouldn’t cause people to think they get to monopolize it.

3 Likes

Also, you state no parties and events and made a kind exception for them. I hope Air sides with you and glad you have changed your listing copy to be more accurate. You should get no more of these misunderstandings in theory.

Are they serious with their Back-up Documentation?? A nice friendly email saying the patio would be in use for a total of 6 hours during their entire stay and that they would be welcome to join in. If Airbnb doesn’t back you on this, it’s a disgrace.

4 Likes

Please tell me you put your side of the story into Air first! I really hope you ask for someone else and have a good defense in case you get an idiot Air rep.

I really don’t understand her issues. From your previous posts it does not sound like she ever communicated her plans to you. The day before check in she asked permission to carve fruit. You told her you were using the patio that day. Then you said she could use it any other time.

So then why didn’t she pick another date? Now it seems she was keeping tabs on you to see if you did use it. Any normal person would have said “okay…let me see if they want to come over another night and I’ll let you know.”

And then how fruit carving turned into a BBQ is beyond me.

Now I’m just ranting - this woman pisses me off. I assume you work during the day, and relax in front of the tv for a couple of hours a night. They could have watched tv any other time during the day. But of course most people want to watch their prime time shows in the eveining. So they felt you should hide in your room because you were making money from them…no matter how much they saved from not staying at a hotel.

It’s really getting old hearing so many stories over and over again of all these people renting a shared space and then complaining about how awkward it is because the host didn’t hide in their room.

Edited to add: Please tell Air that she never rescheduled her fruit carving. So you should not have to not allow anyone over just because you told her she could use it any other time. And please please tell them it goes against your rules to have parties anyway.

3 Likes

Hear hear. Just what do people want for $50 a night.

2 Likes

Like x million. You’ve put it so well. This person is 100% not airbnb material. I could understand - just maybe, with my eyes screwed - if she’d paid hundreds per night and had scheduled something special. But no, she’s just a self-important cheapskate who has zero understanding not only of airbnb but other people. She needs to be put her in place. I really hope Air steps up on this. Please let us know how it pans out datrip1.

1 Like

And by the way, don’t be lulled by the CX person who will tell you how awesome you are and how someone will reach out to you soon. Be firm!!

4 Likes

Yes! I’ve been flattered by that talk about how great I am. They must tell them in their training to compliment the host right off the bat to calm them down. LOL?

4 Likes

I think there’s an airbnb drug that they put in the water coolers there. I hope so, anyway. Otherwise there is a whole class of morons working there.

2 Likes